Retro|Spective 036: Grandia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 036: Grandia

Beginning back during the 32-bit heyday, this was one of many JRPG series to emerge once the genre began to flourish outside of Japan...

Grandia

Mainline Entry 01 - Grandia
    Formats: Saturn and Playstation 1
    Developed for the Saturn then later ported to PS1, Game Arts first entry revolved around Justin, a boy who discovers a magical stone that starts him on a journey to discovery a lost civilization. Mixing 3D maps with 2D sprites, the game differed from Final Fantasy by having enemies visible on the field as players made their way through the adventure. The initial game is one that started to the series on quite humbling beginnings but very much set the template for the remaining entries that followed.

Expansion Entry 01 - Grandia: Digital Museum
    Formats: Saturn
    Mainline Entry 02 - Grandia II
    Formats: Dreamcast, PC and Playstation 2
    Sticking with its Sega origins, the sequel debuted on Sega's swansong console before being ported to PS2 and PC. Made by the same team as the original game, the sequel received positive praise on its original release though its arrival on the other two formats was much more muted. Moving away from sprite use, the new game used full 3D visuals and limited mobility during fights to advance its gameplay mechanics whilst following a hired mercenary who survives a deadly incident and serves to protect a Songstress.

Spin Off Entry 01 - Grandia: Parallel Trippers
    Formats: Game Boy Color
    Spin Off Entry 02 - Grandia Xtreme
    Formats: Playstation 2
    With Sega's era over the series made its home on the hugely popular PS2. The game played similarly to the main games but with a heavier focus on battles and puzzle solving. A natural disaster causes the three races of the games world to break out in conflict with the player taking on the role of a Ranger who uncovers the origins of the disaster.

Mainline Entry 03 - Grandia III
    Formats: Playstation 2 and Playstation 3
    The closing entry was denied a European release making it a less known title than the second one. With faster paced combat the player controlled Yuki, a 16 year old boy on a world covering adventure with his friends in a self-made plane. The games Japanese release scored strong reviews and solid launch sales but the American reviews were more critical of the game and it became the final mainline entry.

Spin Off Entry 03 - Grandia Online
    Formats: PC
    Bitten by the bug that caught many, development moved to an online MMORPG set within the Grandia franchise. Launched in Japan as a free-to-play title, the game lasted three years before its servers were shut down in 2012. It acted as a prequel to the original entry in the series and used real time combat with some systems taken from the main series entries. Barring an anniversary release for the second game, this was the end of the series and mostly the end of Game Arts output too.

Share your thoughts and memories of the Grandia series

Loved all 3 games, but found the 3rd one of the PS2 to be just a little too hard. The 1st game is still the best and I don't any Japanese RPG as ever captured the sense and spirt of adv as well as Grandia did

Comment

I'm looking forward to playing the first game on the PSX as soon as I find some time. Maybe after Xenoblade 2.

Comment

Played the 2nd one first and think it has the best battle system of any RPG ever. Shame the ports are crap.

Didn’t know about the ps2 and 3 titles though so will check them out.

Couldn’t get into the first one, tried it on the PSP but it just didn’t seem to go anywhere.

Comment

I've yet to play the 1st game but it's been on the list, so to speak, for years. I'll get round to it one day. It's a shame they never did a DS port as I'd have snapped that up by now.

I didn't see what the fuss was all about with the second one, though. The story was so cheesy I gave up on it about a 1/4 of the way through. It seemed like after every major event there was a Saturday morning cartoon style 'so, what we learned today, kids, was...' lesson/sermon.

Comment

I really enjoyed the charm of the second one, especially those cartoon recap moments.

Comment

I loved the first game so much. Such an amazing journey - mind you, I've not played it since it was contemporary! Still got my original copy on the shelf, I'd like to give it another go one day.

I've got the second game on Dreamcast but I've never actually sat down and properly played it to be honest.

I never played Xtreme or the third game either. Parallel Trippers has had a fan translation now I believe.

Comment

I wasn't really aware the PS2 entries were a thing, I remember some fuss about Grandia II back when the DC version hit and played the first hour or so but so many JRPGs leave me cold and it seemed very atypical so I moved on.

Comment

Clue for the next thread:

Clue - It began with Showa

Comment

Working...
                  X