Has your gaming taste changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has your gaming taste changed?

Wondered how your tastes in games have changed over time.

I used to *adore* 2d fighters, I used to live, breath and sleep StreetFighter 2 Turbo on the SNES, even spending hour upon hour just perfecting my skills against the CPU. Now, I tend to bypass most of these quick-hit types of games in favour of something a little more involved and story-driven, like a good RPG for example. Back in the day however, I had next to no interest in RPGs whatsoever, and only really started getting into them with FF7.

So for me now I seem to prefer something I can get my teeth into, and be immersed in a good storyline with interesting characters. I wouldnt say I have moved on from arcade styled games, but I think my tastes in gaming have definitely changed over the years.

Nope - always liked 'quick-blast' arcade type games and still do. Shenmue & MGS are the only two games I've ever 'got into' where I wanted to get the whole way throught because I was into the story line.

Comment

Mine have changed a lot

At home: I used to spend all day and night playing RPGs, I used to bring my PS1 to work and play FF7 until morning. Used to play a lot of games to their conclusion and come back to them a lot later for a replay.
      Back then the arcade scene was proper WICKED - so I would always be involved in tournament play. I played VF3 and Tekken 3 in tournaments back.

Now the arcades are **** and I dont have time to play RPGs properly. So I get less games now but play them a lot harder. I choose 3 beat em ups to keep my skill level high on and 2 shoot em ups at a time - when really special stuff like Prime come along I make time for it - but go back to training up on whatever I've picked.

Now it's

Psyvariar (teh shootar)
      Soul Calibur 1 (teh skuff)
      EVO (teh skuff)
      PN03 (special one )

Comment

I was going to ask the same question a few days ago.

I appear to be the complete opposite to you. I used to like the longer, story driven games, but most of them leave me cold now (Wind Waker being an exception), so I play shmups, beat em ups and rhythm action games now. I prefer to be able to sit down for 30 minutes and feel I have achieved something rather than have only scratched the surface of a 30 hour epic.

My tastes have seemed to narrow as well. A few years ago, I would play most genres, but now I only stick to a select few. I dont play platform games anymore, as I feel the transition to 3D has made them much weaker.

Comment

I don't think so - I've always been fairly middling I spose; If I'm playing a game with a huge quest (Zelda etc) then I need an arcade-y title to go hand in hand with it, for when I want a breather - just for the change of pace. I don't think I consciously bypass any type of game (I'm even coming round to the idea of trying FFVII again) in case I miss a gem.

Comment

Yup massively the last exploration, progression type game i enjoyed was shenmue on the DC.

Before that i loved all them types of games, but since the DC and its string of excellent arcade games i just can't be bothered with them.

I prefer WE6 to metroid as there's no progression you just have your match and thats it. No 33% through or level 6 etc.

It's a shame as i enjoyed metroid i just couldn't be arsed with it, it's one of the reasons i'm not bothering with zelda for a while.

I'm getting SC2 as similar to WE6 i'll be able have my matches go through the arcade mode with all the characters, have matches against friends etc.

Comment

Since I started playing games? Sure it has.

In the last 10 years? Certainly.

In the last 5 years? Hard to tell...

I was always a shooter person to begin with... adored those static/scrolling little beauties such as "Side Arms", "Flying Shark", "Gyruss", "Time Pilot", "Gradius", "R-Type" etc... I didn't like platformers all that much, and couldn't stand strategy games. I wasn't really into RPGs either.

Until getting hold of "The Bard's Tale" for C64. It also helped a couple of other kids at school getting it at the same time so we'd swop items, tips, maps etc. So that cracked that little nut. After that, I got into the rest of Interplay's output ("Wasteland", "Dragon Wars" etc) and SSI's AD&D catalog of games in the late 80s/early 90s. Then of course there was "Zelda 3". Okay not a proper RPG, but that had me hooked on the whole action side of things as well. Which then led onto games like "Secret of Mana"...

The other break point was on the strategy side. Then there was "Laser Squad". Boy did I spend enough time playing that. Saurian is l33t on some games... this was my tour de force at the time. Since then I've been more interested in that side, and "Advance Wars" is about the best thing since to be compared to the genius.

While I have always liked the Mario series of games and some others, platformers have never been anywhere near my favourite genre, and still remain that way today. Puzzle games similarly though there are many cases of enjoying them immensely ("Mario Picross", "Tetris" etc).

Racing games and beatemups... the genres I got heavily into in the early 90s but hadn't before, with Sega's output and "Streetfighter 2" series. Ones which people will attest to require a lot of time and dedication to get truly great at. Time I actually had at that moment in life with university and the money to afford it all. Kind of different now... but the "F-Zero" franchise is always one I going to home in straight away.

Which brings us back to shooters. With the advent of MAME, plus console releases such as "Radiant Silvergun", "Ikaruga", "Einhander", "Mars Matrix" etc... I am rediscovering a genre I used to love once more. They may have taken an extended hiatus, but they are coming back with a vengeance... hopefully sales of "Ikaruga" in the West should show some signs of that interest...

Really... as we've grown up I'm sure we've found ourselves with less time on our hands. I do mostly play shorter burst games nowadays, but the longer quests (such as "Zelda", "Metroid" etc) I am always going to get through and dedicate time to because the games are sheer class.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

For me it really does depend on the game, like Marcus I couldn't stop playing on SF2 Turbo until none I knew could beat me. Now I never have the patience to sit at a game for that amount of time to really clock it.

When I first saw the post I thought yeah I've got into short sharp blasts of gaming but thats not strictly true as I sat there with Metroid (still gotta beat Prime though) and am now doing the same with Zelda.

I s'pose all I am now is more selective in my choices, I know through feedback and reviews I'm playing the best the industry has to offer. Even in the Dreamcast days I would buy one - two games a week (swapping etc.)

It also depends on your immediate surroundings in the old days (dreamcast included) I had a male flat mate and we played games for the majority of the time we were in. Now I live with my girlfriend (who is also an avid gamesplayer) but I do feel slightly guilty if I hog the cube and telly so I don't play so much.....

In conclusion then, god knows, depends on my mood and what games I currently am getting mileage out of.

Comment

Years ago, when I was at college so had much more free time to spend playing games, anything would take my fancy. I had the arcade style quick fixes but would also not shy away from the 50 hour epics such as FF7 (which I played through multiple times).

Now I simply don't have the time/concentration span that these games require. I will complete the game if it is something special. Completed FF8, FF9, FF10, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia etc., and the RE series but often these will only get a play through once (if I finish them at all). Currently I'm playing Metroid Primeand I'm at about 36% but already feeling 'how long is this going to take?' All the backtracking feels unecessarily laborious and I am seriously considering if I want to continue (or put it on the unfinished pile and concentrate on something else.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure if it is the time factor, or whether it is more dedication. For the last few weeks I have been spending time polishing up my Soul Calibur technique, and 4 hour sessions are common. Yet never have I felt bored during it, whereas an hour after playing Metroid and I am ready to switch off.

Comment

I also blame the internet, if i get a bit bored or die stupidly, i find easy to just give up and come on the net and browse the forums or chat on MSN. I'm so lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Roost
                      I also blame the internet, if i get a bit bored or die stupidly, i find easy to just give up and come on the net and browse the forums or chat on MSN. I'm so lame.

Or find a walkthrough of said game.

Comment

Originally posted by Scythe

I'm too lazy do that.

Comment

twitch gaming with no "end" doesn't appeal to me so much anymore... my days of enjoying a game that wraps round indefinitley just to get a higher score are over. I prefer narrative driven games with strong environments and a clear goal.

Also, I don't have the time to devote to massive RPG's anymore.. so FF games are no goes for me... also, Metal Gear Solid 2 with it's huge cut-scenes really put me off.

I like games that appear simple at first but scratch under the surface, are much deeper. Action Adventures are probably my favourite, I can't really enjoy an FPS anymore if it doesn't offer anything new over what's been done before and I very rarely play games on PC anymore... just not as comfortable, as simple, or as fun in my opinion.

Halo and Metroid (together) own this whole genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Scythe

I'm too lazy do that.

Chamon Mutha****a!!! (sorry)

Comment

My tastes have always been broad, though now I am trying to expand it yet further to the "obscure" genres like 2d shmups and rythm action.

Comment

Working...
                              X