Retro|Spective 040: Ratchet and Clank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 040: Ratchet and Clank

Ready to grab you by the nuts and bolts this week it's...

Ratchet and Clank

Mainline Entry 01 - Ratchet and Clank
    Formats: Playstation 2, Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita
    The original entry into the series provided a similar platforming experience as the similar timed Jak and Daxter game but differentiated itself by having a stronger focus on the weaponry Ratchet was able to deploy on his enemies. Ratchet sets out on a cross planetary adventure to help robot sidekick Clank on his mission but this game shared J&D's DNA not by accident as the studio shared work with Naughty Dog in a relationship that would last for several years. The game proved a solid success for the team to move quickly onto several sequels that would expand the weaponry concept but be cut from the same mould.

Mainline Entry 02 - Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando
    Mainline Entry 03 - Ratchet and Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal
    Mainline Entry 04 - Ratchet and Clank 4: Deadlocked
    Spin Off Entry 01 - Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
    Formats: Playstation 2 and Playstation Portable
    The first non-main game in the series first arrived in portable form before being ported as a late PS2 release but despite its humble origins it was very much a traditional R&C experience offering the usual mixture of platforming and shooting gameplay the series was known for.

Mainline Entry 05 - Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
    Formats: Playstation 3
    The franchise landed on PS3 for its next entry and with it made full use of the new power granted to it. The core game continued off from where the previous entries had left off but the visual sheen drew most of the attention. The game also refreshed the story by setting off a new future arc though it seemed to make little difference to the series.

Spin Off Entry 02 - Secret Agent Clank
    Formats: Playstation Portable and Playstation 2
    Mainline Entry 06 - Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty
    Following on from the more clunky second portable spin-off, the next entry was initially considered more of a side dish to first game but later became more considered as more core content of the Future trilogy. A shorter experience, it placed the characters where they needed to be for the following years big release.

Mainline Entry 07 - Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
    Spin Off Entry 03 - Ratchet and Clank: All For One
    Eager for more after Crack's release, the next game was a four player co-op experience that was the first to truly shake the fanbase of the series who didn't like what was offered. Though the game sold in decent numbers, it was the first really grumbled about entry the series had put out.

Spin Off Entry 04 - Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault
    Formats: Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita
    Also known as Q-Force in Europe, the next release was another short experience which mostly played with the formula by adding in tower defense functions. The result was another mixed reaction entry.

Mainline Entry 08 - Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus
    This title brought the Future line of games to an end and focused itself on more outlandish worlds and weaponry in an otherwise typical entry. However, despite a solid response to the game the wind seemed to be out of the series sails and it fell dormant as Insomniac moved on to other projects.

Mainline Entry 09 - Ratchet and Clank
    Formats: Playstation 4
    To tie in with the movie this reimagining of the original game was made which plays with some elements and avoids nulling the canon by presenting itself as Captain Qwarks telling of the original story. The film failed to do well but the game drew a lot of attention and found sales success that met and in some cases exceeded the series peak suggesting it may be the start of a revival.

Share your thoughts and memories of Ratchet and Clank!

Although I like the series, I don't want to buy the new one because they've dropped their previous commitment to 60fps in favour of 30. That in itself wouldn't be a deal-breaker but I believe they made a statement where they said it's because their customers don't care about 60fps.

Comment

The game felt a little less fluid for the framerate change but I guess in broadstrokes terms the sales success suggests they were right.

It'd be nice if they released a collection of the PS3 versions of PS4 as a full Future Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        The game felt a little less fluid for the framerate change but I guess in broadstrokes terms the sales success suggests they were right.
        That's the thing. I'm not saying they were wrong; just saying they've lost me as a customer.

Comment

The only game in the series that I've played properly is 'Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction' on the PS3, which I thought looked impressive at the time - and it played well. I really enjoyed it.

Comment

[MENTION=2924]Leon Retro[/MENTION] - I'm seeing double. 4 Vanilla Ices!

Comment

Clue for 041

Clue - A competition for those with a sweet tooth

Comment

Candy Crush?

If ya think about it...

Comment

Fits, but not the series we'll be visiting

Comment

Working...
                  X