Retro Arena: PS1 3D Platformers

Jumping Flash - 1995

Crash Bandicoot - 1996

Croc - 1997

Spyro the Dragon - 1998

Glover - 1999

Ape Escape - 1999

Which one do you like the most?

This is gonna sound weird but back-in-the-day, I almost didn't consider Crash Bandicoot to be a 3D platformer, because of its extremely linear nature. Not in the way the others were, at least. Years later I can see this was a daft thing to believe, but still, I was never that fussed about it.

In seriousness it's fasciating those guys made Uncharted, because it reminds me of it. 3D movement within a pretty corridor, as opposed to something like Ape Escape or Mario 64.

I loved Jumping Flash, even though I think it was quite poor overall, just because it was novel. There was something about a first-person platformer that was really enticing back then.

Comment

At the time, I probably found jumping flash and spyro the more enjoyable ones. Now, I wouldn't bother with any of them.

Comment

I loved Croc and Crash II back in the day and also enjoyed Sypro too. Ape Escape was ace fun too. The PS was a fab system for 3D platform games. If I had to pick one of that lot it be Crash; nice Gfx and simple fun platform game

Comment

I found them all simplistic, boring and by the numbers platformers with little to no redeeming features back then. Now they’d make good coasters.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            This is gonna sound weird but back-in-the-day, I almost didn't consider Crash Bandicoot to be a 3D platformer, because of its extremely linear nature. Not in the way the others were, at least. Years later I can see this was a daft thing to believe, but still, I was never that fussed about it.

In seriousness it's fasciating those guys made Uncharted, because it reminds me of it. 3D movement within a pretty corridor, as opposed to something like Ape Escape or Mario 64.

I loved Jumping Flash, even though I think it was quite poor overall, just because it was novel. There was something about a first-person platformer that was really enticing back then.
            I felt the same way about Crash, I still love those games and had a blast with the remakes earlier this year.

Ape Escape still holds up, I bought a Dualshock for that back in the day and it was worth every penny. The camera controls feel a little dated today though.

I was incredibly impressed with Spyro when it came out but never finished it and I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it today. It's very much a collectathon from what I remember.

Never cared for Glover, I always forget it came out on the PSX as well. I've always see it more as an N64 platformer first and foremost.

I still think Croc is a nice looking game but he controls like a car, it's a bit awkward.

For me the Crash games are the best of the bunch, they're some of my favourite 3D platform games.

Comment

Spyro was the only one I liked. I still enjoy it, although it looks so empty now.

Comment

Crash is the only one I played back then, I had an N64 so I was on all of Rare’s arguably much better 3D platformers.

I do have the Spyro Collection on preorder but I’m contemplating cancelling it, especially if it’s going to end up getting the same amount of playtime as the Crash Collection...

Comment

Ape Escape, Crash 3. Jumping Flash 1&2.

MDK? It impressed me with its scope.

Does MDK 'count'??? It was very very cool.

Were the Crash games *actually* 3D platformers? I'd say into-the-screen more like, linear like lines are. Does that mean we include Klonoa or the Pandemonium games?

I never liked the Spyro games but really can't think of much else...the PS1 is actually pretty crap for 3D platformers.

Never tried Glover, 40 Winks or Space Station Silicon Valley tho. Did have the latter on N64 but was it a "platformer", hmmmm??????

Ape Escape ftw.

Comment

Where is Bubsy 3D?

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Were the Crash games *actually* 3D platformers? I'd say into-the-screen more like, linear like lines are. Does that mean we include Klonoa or the Pandemonium games?
                      I’d argue that the Crash games certainly aren’t 3D platformers, they’re not free roaming and are of a fixed viewpoint.

Klonoa and the like are more referred to as 1.5D... I’ve always though it’s a very clever design choice, the Klonoa games are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                        I’d argue that the Crash games certainly aren’t 3D platformers, they’re not free roaming and are of a fixed viewpoint.
                        That was my perspective, though these days I think they are, because there are sections that allow you to move in all three dimensions. I suppose the question is about what you define as 3D for platforming; for instance, is Bug! on the Saturn 3D?

Comment

I kind of enjoyed Spyro. But that gen of 3D platformers really struggled for me when it came to motivating me to make my way through their levels. It's like they had the tech but not the design yet (albeit I never played that Glover one so I don't know about that).

Comment

Ape Escape.
                            The game was fun, but it was also a revelation to play with the Dual Shock pad.
                            I loved driving the little RC car around!

I never played Metal Gear 3, because I got distracted with the Ape Escape bonus game.

Comment

None appealed to me back in the day. 3D platformers were something Nintendo did ... and anything else was a pale imitation. I probably missed out on some gems through my ignorance but I couldn't help but see this lot as the PlayStation's 'Titus The Fox' and 'Zool'.

Comment

Working...
                              X