DreamPSU / SaturnPSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DreamPSU / SaturnPSU

retropsu.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, retropsu.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The DreamPSU is a simple, fast to install replacement power supply for the SEGA Dreamcast that not only reduces heat inside your console from the original power supply, which can help extend the life of your Dreamcast, but also frees up some much needed internal space for any other mods you may have or want to install. It is also fully compatible with the GDEmu and USB-GDRom as well as the original Dreamcast GDROM disc drive.
    A nice simple alternative to using a PicoPSU that’s made specifically for the Saturn / Dreamcast. Recommend if you’re using an ODE solution...

Yeah, I have been waiting since May for mine, apparently he is having issues with the suppliers in China but looking forward to getting my hands on it (eventually).

Is yours working well?

Comment

I only found out about it 10 minutes before I posted here...

Comment

Oh, okay.....

Yeah, don't expect to get one any time soon sadly..

Comment

I like how they’ve handled the Saturn one to cater for the varying PSU requirements for different model Saturns, looks cool. It’s also surprising how heavy the original PSU is, when you fit something like this and an ODE, wow, I was taken back the first time I lifted the consoles up

Tidier than the DIY PicoPSU I did recently!

Comment

Tell us about the sd card mooky!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
              Tell us about the sd card mooky!
              It’s slotted into an Optical Drive Emulator, that one is the Rhea (for early model Saturns, there’s the Phoebe for later model Saturns)

After a bit of faffing around with CD Images you can load the SD card up with games and ideally use a tool called rmenu so that when you boot your Saturn up you can pick and choose just like if you had a ROM cart for cartridge based consoles.

Improved seek times (but not load times I seem to remember), and silence! The gdemu for DC makes such a difference regarding noise levels (and there’s a USB based DC one too by another developer)

It can also remove region checking (and switch video mode if you wire it up that way)..

There’s an alternative being developed which sits in the VCD cart tray, so you can play games from disc or SD. It’s called the Satiator

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
                It’s slotted into an Optical Drive Emulator, that one is the Rhea (for early model Saturns, there’s the Phoebe for later model Saturns)

After a bit of faffing around with CD Images you can load the SD card up with games and ideally use a tool called rmenu so that when you boot your Saturn up you can pick and choose just like if you had a ROM cart for cartridge based consoles.

Improved seek times (but not load times I seem to remember), and silence! The gdemu for DC makes such a difference regarding noise levels (and there’s a USB based DC one too by another developer)

It can also remove region checking (and switch video mode if you wire it up that way)..

There’s an alternative being developed which sits in the VCD cart tray, so you can play games from disc or SD. It’s called the Satiator
                Oooh where yer get it from?

Comment

It’s from https://gdemu.wordpress.com/

However, you can’t just order one, you have to wait for the pre-order window to open and then get in there quick. One problem is that sometimes instead of a new post on the blog page saying that orders are open, sometimes it’s a reply to an existing post - which can make tracking it more difficult.

You could setup a monitoring service on the ordering page too, but it would need to be super responsive at checking it and then notifying you, and you the checking your email and opening the page.

Although, after saying all that - I did manage to get a Rhea and gdemu after a couple of tries.

There’s a batch of Saturn Phoebe ones coming up soon by the looks of it. For the Saturn one, if you can order a Rhea or a Phoebe, I’d go for it and then if it’s not the suitable one for your Saturn, it’s prob easier to source the right Saturn than try ordering the right ODE. Or, wait until the Satiator!

Shame things are turning a bit toxic since the clone of gdemu has now been released.

Comment

To be honest with ordering that tricky it's no wonder that other people are making them.

Comment

Working...
                    X