PAL GC with component cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL GC with component cables?

I have recently discovered that my Toshiba TV has a component video input but no progressive scan. I heard that NOA sell special component cables that enhance picture quality. I have a PAL Cube and the official RGB Scart cable, so should I import the cable or stick with my current setup?

Also, are there any advantages of importing a PS2 or X-box, like progressive scan or HDTV support, that are not present in the PAL versions?

Stick with you current setup, although the PAL machines support Component video, they do not support progressive scan so it will be a step backwards from RGB. Holding down B when the machine boots will still give you a 50 / 60Hz option...

Comment

Originally posted by MD
      Stick with you current setup, although the PAL machines support Component video, they do not support progressive scan so it will be a step backwards from RGB.
      I wouldn't agree that interlaced Component is a "step backwards" on RGB . It depends on how best the source and display devices cope with the conversion but I have seen noticable improvment in Component Video signals over RGB on many sets.

Comment

Component video cables work with PAL Cubes, but none of the PAL Cube games so far support progressive scan, which is the main reason for using one.

Interlaced (non-progressive) Component video should give a slightly higher quality picture over RGB video. The color data is split differently with component, which gives more signal bandwidth to the colors your eyes are more sensitive to.

You're unlikely to spot the difference though.

PAL PS2 supports progressive on a handful of titles (Tekken 4 for one).

PAL XBox doesn't support progressive scan (unless hacked), NTSC versions do.

The lack of Progressive scan on PAL consoles seems to be down to the lack of a standard Progressive scan PAL video mode.

Comment

Working...
        X