Giving up on games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up on games

Perhaps not the most politically correct phrase to use in this current climate, but casualties of war are inevitable in gaming. That is, there are certain games that -try as you might- fail to inspire you with enough impetus to see them through to completion. I'm not necessarily talking about games you don't like here, but games that you just can't be bothered to finish, games you just give up on.

Project Zero on the PS2 and Golden Sun on the GBA are two relatively recent casualties in my collection.

Golden Sun is a lovely little game, but it only reinforces my dissatisfaction with the staid RPG genre. It's fun, but it's painfully generic, I've played many games like it before and as such can't be bothered.

Project Zero is an interesting take on the 'survival horror' genre and I do like it (for all its faults), but I've found it too frustrating. The game has forced me to restart for a third time now and my patience has run out. I'd like to see it through to the end but I've had enough of not having enough ammo to survive ammo-hungry encounters I never knew were coming. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is most definitely weak. So, it's going back the shop.

So, are there any games you've simply just given up on altogether? If so, why?

Please share.

Mario Sunshine - I just seem to get stuck all the time and can't be bothered to get all of those stupid blue coins. I bought it on the Jap release date, but only ever managed to get to about 20 shines. I wish I had more patience with it.

Sonic Advance - My eyes can't focus on the GBA screen properly!! Man, I sound old!

Splinter Cell - quickly became boring. I didn't like the camera and found that I kept getting caught and / or running out of ammo.

Comment

GTA3 - missions became too much like effort - coudln't be bothered to go around looking for packages etc etc so just resorted to flying and driving around and shooting people.

GT3 - I was aiming for 100% but doing the same track again and again for 20 laps gets very tedious - so I had enough of that.

MGS2 - Loved the first one but second was pish - gave up on the bit where you look for the bombs and spray them - I just found the game very dull and couldn't get into it. Just sold it!

I don't tend to buy games that require too much learning/time put into them so my list is not big - many games I just stop playing because I bought something newer.

Comment

Ooh, only about 90% of my games

Comment

Back in the day, Banjo Kazooie bored me into submission with its never ending collecting rituals.

I game up on Castlevania: Circle of the Moon because of its churlish health distribution. Having to kill certain monsters that ::might:: yield usually rare potions and fiddling around with all those cards just wasn't fun in the slightest.

Comment

REmake - A recentish left on the shelfer. I got to the point where the zombies started coming back to life. I already only had about 4 bullets left and that really did me in. I just thought "sod it, the controls are crap anyway" and haven't played it for about a month now.

Rogue Leader - the second Death Star mission is impossible. I gave up in disgust.

I gave up on Golden Sun as well, but I had reached what turned out to be the last boss anyway. It was sodding impossible and I couldn't face all the required "levelling up". Worse though was the 3 hour long, unskippable, badly written conversation about nothing-in-particular that preceeded the battle. Grrr.

I'm all for easier games, you know. I just don't have the patience to play through the impossible sections anymore. I did finish MP though - I tried cheating with the Action Replay thingy to beat the last boss, but it crashed the game, so in the end I finished it properly. I am not even attempting hard mode though.

Comment

Hitman 2. Brilliant game, but its so full of bugs that I can't be arsed to finish the damn thing. Which is a shame, coz I think its very good.

Final Fantasy VIII and IX. They just didnt seem to have the same hold over me as FFVII did. In the end I gave up on both. Plus FFVIII was quite poor compared to the sublime FFVII.

Comment

Games I've given up on and why -

Golden Sun - got to the last boss, kept getting killed but just could not be ARSED going through the cut-scene nonsense every time. Which is a shame, since I enjoyed it up till then.

Mario Sunshine - loved it... don't get me wrong.. absolutely loved it... but.. once I'd beaten bowser, I didn't feel the need to collect the blue coins. Maybe "given up on" is the wrong phrase, since I've gone back and played individual shines etc,.

DK64/BK - Both Rare games and both bored me to tears with endless collect'em up gameplay and lack of imagination.

GTA3 - got bored. Nice "toybox" design... repetitive missions

Vice City - ditto. Loading times going in and out of buildings drove me mad.

MGS2 - over long cut scenes bored me to tears... didn't grab me like the first one did.

Ico - (SHOCK) one area had a leap of faith that irritated me and was quite far from a save point. Also, the random nature of those irritating shadow monsters and the sheer stupidity of Yorda (why oh why oh why can't they climb the ladder at the same time....?).

There's more, but's that's the main ones.

Comment

The last game I gave up on was Final Fantasy X (I dont give up on games at all usually)

The voice acting irritated me to the point where I said thought "**** it" and stopped playing 20 hours in. They should include a text only option if they insist on ruining games with completely **** actors.

Comment

Skies of Arcadia. A random boss battle too far. Or was it one of those ship battles?

Grandia II was way better IMO.

Comment

metroid prime its a good game but after many attempts to beat that boss with the mirrors i just left it.

resident evil games on cube played them so far and just thought stuff this and left them. there was no varity in them.

i've done it with all my games really, i just got bored of them and left them

Comment

Originally posted by wod
                        Yeah, I do the same. Luigi's mansion and halo are the only ones I can remember completing lately.

I am determined to finish Zelda though... if my DVDBO order ever gets here!

Comment

Originally posted by sam1981
                          Originally posted by wod
                          Yeah, I do the same. Luigi's mansion and halo are the only ones I can remember completing lately.

I am determined to finish Zelda though... if my DVDBO order ever gets here!
                          It takes a lot for me to give up on a game. I don't have nearly as much time for gaming as I used to, but more often than not, I try to start what I finish.

If a game starts becoming more like work than something fun, then I pack it in.

Comment

Maybe it was because I was playing it on a brand new machine, but Luigi is one of my fave games in the past few years. It never felt like hard work as so many other games have (Sunshine, Splinter Cell, Resi).

I just don't have the time, or patience, to really get into many games these days.

Comment

Originally posted by sam1981
                              Maybe it was because I was playing it on a brand new machine, but Luigi is one of my fave games in the past few years.
                              Couldnt agree more. I hear loads of people slate poor Luigi, but for me it was one of the most enjoyable games Ive played in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X