Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting up a PS2 via ICS

Hi just wondered if anyone can help?

I am gonna take part in the ps2 trial and wondered about the set up....

I have just got a network card and need to know what kind of cable I need to get to go between the ps2 and the pc. I am using a usb speedtouch modem on BTopenworld.

so the connection will be usb modem------->pc(via usb)------->ps2

I 'think' I need a crossover cable. Is this correct? I have read a regular ethernet cable wont work...

I am assuming the set up with the network card and the ps2 would be the same as the xbox method of this way, so can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Dan

yeah its a crossover cable you need

Comment

If you're going to be using the Xbox as well, you might as well get a hub and then you don't need to keep swapping cables or worry about crossover-ed cables.

Comment

Ok I got a network card and a crossover cable, so I should be able to set this up and tun ics through windows and be all good right?

Comment

Basically, yes. You'll find pings are higher using your PS2 -> crossover -> PC -> usb modem method. Ideally, you'll want to ditch your USB modem in favour of dsl router. I usually recommend people get the D-link 504 dsl router, as it's ideal for DIY dsl installations. With 4 ports, you could have:

PC + Xbox + PS2 + Cube -> normal cat5 cables -> dsl router -> dsl

Comment

Are the high pings goign to be so much higher that I will have a problem playing?

I have been thinking of buying a router for a while.... Getting one will mean I can just use that to connect to the net and use no modem? Also would i not have to 'connect' to the net no more, ie it would always be connected even if my pc is off?

cheers

Dan

Comment

I don't think the higher pings will be unplayable, but it's not ideal. With a router, you ditch the modem and connect all devices needed (as I outlined above) with normal cat5 network cables. The router then plugs into the filter socket using the rj11 cable. You then flog the usb modem or keep it as a backup.

re: always on. you can set the router up so that it "dials" your ISP on demand, and then turns off the connection when no longer needed (ie, you turn everything off).

Comment

Working...
              X