Best Beat! Favourite Rhythm games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Beat! Favourite Rhythm games

We've had topics in the old forums about best Beat 'em up, etc of all time, I was just wonderin what peoples favourite rhythm titles are, my personal faves are:

Dance Dance Revolution - Don't really need to say anymore about this game.

Beatmania - I find it much less effort than the DDR games as u don't have to move around trying to press buttons that jus don't respond on your cheap shoddy home version dance mat. But you still get all the fun with the mixing deck and keyboard buttons to press to the music. I also prefer the fact that missing parts of the music on this acctually effects the sound of the music rather than with DDR where it makes very little difference.

Samba De Amigo - Words cannot describe the ammount of fun this game, a few beers and some m8s around have given me. Has to be the ultimate piss up/party title for me. I think the tunes on it are great if only the original home version had a few more proper songs to make it last longer for the ammount you have to pay for it. Ver 2000 really rectifies things though, then the now common Sega mini games complete the package.

Parappa The Rapper - Come on, great story, great music I find this game a laugh from start to finish, could have done with a few more tunes, but maybe they'd have just ruined the overall gloss and polish this game has. Also, how many other games have a Kung Fu Onion?

Which are your fave Rhythm games?

For me.

Taiko no Tatsujin
    Samba de Amigo
    Dance Dance Revolution

Comment

Samba de Amigo, simply because of how ridiculous you feel/look while playing. So much fun!

And Space Channel 5, part 2 (Japanese DC)

Comment

Samba De Amigo - for all the reasons previously mentioned, plus got me into the whole Bemani series of games.

Pump It Up - When I first started dancing games last September I naturally went straight to the populist choice, DDR. However, I remembered how Saurian and said last summer about how DDR wasn't fit to lick PIU's dancing shoes. Anyway, I gave it a try in January and my first impressions? "This game sucks, the steps are all awkwardly placed, and it's impossible". Luckily I perservered and I realised that these 'awkward step patterns actually feel a lot more natural than the rather stilted DDR setup. Instead of throwing a seemingly random set up step patterns that just requrie you to stomp your feet as fast as possible, each move flows easily from one to the other, with a lot of potential to create your own style. I actually can't play DDR now (or when I do, it tends to hurt afterwards). Another advantage is that hardly anyone else plays it at Trafford so I can play for as long as I want without having to give up the stage

Comment

IIDX - Got the controller in Japan for ?15 and 3rd Style for ?20. I really like it and Saur features in one of the songs ^^

DDR - It's **** but it's everywhere. I only like about 3 songs in the entire series.

PIU - It's excellent but it's nowhere.

Taiko no Tatsujin - I played this a lot in Japan. A game girls really enjoy.

Comment

Presented by Sega, hrhr...

Samba de Amigo has to be my all time favourite rhythm game - it's a title I can get pretty much anyone to play because it's so much fun (though you really do need the maracas) - even those that profess not to be interested in gaming whatsoever. Getting my Dad to play it was one of the funniests things I've seen in a long time.

Space Channel 5 - Ulala and her swinging hips, this one makes me feel kind of, funky. Another brilliant rhythm title from Sega with the hippest reporter from future space this side of the Fifth Element.

Get both of them.

Regards
            Marty

Comment

Originally posted by Sidez
              Taiko no Tatsujin - I played this a lot in Japan. A game girls really enjoy.
              I'm still trying to source a copy. When does Allan go back to Japan?

Comment

He should be back this weekend.

Comment

Cheers

Comment

Surely Im not the only one on the forum with the Cool Cool Toon by SNK for the JPN Dreamcast?

lovely panda apron!!

at least I know dai its ch00ns

Comment

Camps* has Cool Cool Toon, I know this because I tried to buy it off him a whle back. He refused...

(*it may not have been Camps)

Frequency is my fave - http://www.ntsc-uk.com/MainContent/P.../Frequency.htm

Comment

Originally posted by daddy cool
                        Surely Im not the only one on the forum with the Cool Cool Toon by SNK for the JPN Dreamcast?

lovely panda apron!!

at least I know dai its ch00ns
                        I quite liked Cool Cool Toon, but I prefer the games that require the use of extravagent, pricey peripherals.

Comment

I think that was me

Comment

I was going to mention Cool Cool Toon.

The input mechanic is superb, and the difficulty curve just right. The graphics are cool, it uses pre-Jet Set Radio cel shading without the outlines. The character designs are also top notch, with many costumes to unlock. The music stands almost too close to cheesy j-pop, but is saved by having charm in abundence.

The crazy graveyard rap is the absolute best moment in the game, and still makes me laugh out loud. Is that guy drunk?

Cool Cool Toon and Space Channel 5 Part 2 are my overall favourite music games, closely followed by Samba de Amigo.

For the rest, we are missing:

Bust a Move/Bust a Groove - the first game is another underrated gem, the second I haven't played but is generally considered to be inferior. The main complaint would be that input is not strictly rhythm based, but rather time limited. The songs and character designs are absolutely superb though.

Shaketa Tambourine/Mini Moni Tambourine - sounds great, tambourines Samba de Amigo style. A shame the arcade tunes were replaced with Mini Moni (teen pop group) ones in the home version. Not played this (yet).

Um Jammer Lammy - underrated again, better that Parappa 1 with a decent 2 player and cool Parappa versions of all the songs to unlock when you finish it.

Gitaroo Man - I wouldn't quite go so far as to say its a Parappa beater (the character designs and songs don't quite get there) but the game mechanic itself is more interesting (somewhere between Cool Cool Toon and Parappa)

Vib Ribbon - with the most endearing singing crack rabbit ever featured in a video game. The songs are of the 'lodged-in-brain' variety, but in an interesting Japanese indie-pop way.

Pop 'n' Music - crazy big buttoned basher. Has a 9 (!) buttoned controller used like a keyboard to play the main riffs in various songs. I have played the first three versions of this. First, hitting so many buttons in time is incredibly hard, second the music ranges from terrible to genius in a very erratic way. Most of it is j-pop, some good some bad, but a handful of the songs are all out crazy and better for it. A good game if you get anywhere near mastering it, I would say.

Samba de Amigo ver. 2000 - anyone thinking of getting Samba should definately get this version, wth a new game mechanic ('swinging' maracas) and around 20 new tunes.

Frequency - very good, very tough game. Great multi player. The interface and game mechanic is very simple to use, but pretty to look at in a Tron/Tempest/Rez way. This belies the fact that doing well requires ultra fast reactions, and frighteningly long combos.

Go Go Bravos/Music Maestro - not played it, sounds pretty good. Apparently there is a baton controller for this classical music conducting game.

Martial Beat - not played it, sounds nuts

Rez - stretching it a bit, but it is a rhythm game (maybe)

Comment

All top games so far.

Some of my top music games are DDR 3rd Mix and DDR Extra Mix, Taiko No Tatsujin, Samba De Amigo 2000 and any of the Beatmania IIDX series (far more fun than the other Beatmania games).

I'm very surprised that some of my favourite music games weren't mentioned though like the very cool Para Para Paradise (if you can master the rountines properly), Guitar Freaks and DrumMania.

My personal favourite is Martial Beat 2 on the Jap PSX - It's great doing real martial arts routines in time with DDR like music.

And punching non stop for 3 minutes Beatmania style and then having to punch a Mike Tyson look alike non-stop for 10 seconds is knackering but yet so rewarding...

Comment

Working...
                              X