SSX3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSX3

Had a few brief plays on the Xbox version last night, and am very impressed by what Ive seen so far. I really enjoyed the previous SSX games, this is basically more of the same but with improvements in most areas, notably in frame rate which is a lot more stable now. Graphically its beautiful, the opening course is littered with shortcuts and items to collect and things to grind on. Sonically its good too, perhaps more sedate than the other games but fine nonetheless. Ill post more once Ive played it deeper, Im sure few will fail to be impressed by this one however.

Does it play like SSX Tricky?

I was interested in that game once but in a 30 minute play I found the controls off and the game a bit dull (PS2 version). But is it the sort of game that only really becomes enjoyable after extended play? I must admit this game is tempting me due to -

- Its Scope. The idea of having a whole mountain to ride around is great.

- Its character.

- Its soundtrack.

But if what I saw in the first 30 minutes play on SSX Tricky is how it always is - I don't think i'll invest!

Comment

The PS2 version is of course the best one (only controller with four shoulder buttons), and the game is just as good as Tricky was, compared to the first SSX, but it lacks a bit in the originality department.

Comment

Tricky does get better with extended play. The initial character stats are quite restrictive to the amount of moves you can successfully pull off and the speed you can zip down the mountain.

Comment

They showed some footage of this on Gamerweb TV on monday - looks insane, with an excellent layout of the course they were playing, although possibly too easy to link objects together because they were quite literally all over the place. Even when tricks and jumps weren't executed correctly, the player was still landing on another object. I'll be keeping an eye on it as it looked like a lot of fun.

Comment

Where did you get you copies from? I'd quite like the US GC version. Looks like a top game. What with 1080 round the corner too. It's a snowboarders dream!

Comment

The thing is little informatiom seems to be coming out about 1080. NST must be bricking themselves after the very positive reviews of SSX 3.

Comment

Doesnt the PS2 version support online play?

It definitely does in the US, just wondering about the PAL version?

Comment

I've been really looking forwards to this, I loved the the first two titles so I'm expecting good things from the third.

The new features look fantastic, its been mentioned that you can race from one end of the mountain to the other (30 mins apparently). I also heard one of the designers has jumped the entire mountain tricking from top to bottom. Fantastic There'll be broken limbs and Zoe sized holes in mountain sides aplomb when I get my hands on this

They've added board presses and handplants so hopefully performing tricks won't feel too familar. My only gripe with Tricky was that the jump from SSX to SSX Tricky was quite small in that respect.

I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed by the cutting of a grab button from the GC version. I can't understand why EA couldn't provide a controller option to replace one of other functions with the fourth grab. For instance I'd quite happily have the reset function on the start menu at the top instead of assigned to the Y key. EA have argued about keeping the controller scheme intuitive, which is fair enough, but the option to choose whether or not to lose a grab would have been appreciated. After all this game is all about tricks and losing one grab button means you miss 6 out of 20 grabs (I think 10 normal grabs on a PS2 controller with 4 grab buttons, each grab can be tweaked which is 20 total).

Despite, this I have ordered the GC version on import because I'm desperate to play this I can always sell it later and get the PS2 version, which I quite fancy buying if the online mode is any good

Might have to nab the GBA version in November so I can play it on the move

Comment

If I were to use a PS2 to Xbox adapter would the Xbox version play like the PS2 version? Anyone know this? I found tony Hawks much easier to play with the PS2 controler so I expect this will be the same.

Comment

When is Amped 2 out by the way? I prefered the original to Tricky, but I quite fancy getting SSX3 anyway. Not sure I want to be playing through two (or even three if you include 1080) snowboarding titles at the same time.

Comment

Amped 2 - 28/10 US 14/11 UK
                        1080 Avalanche - 1/12 US 28/11 UK ( UK date is a bit sus)

A snowboarding x-mas methinks

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                          When is Amped 2 out by the way? I prefered the original to Tricky, but I quite fancy getting SSX3 anyway. Not sure I want to be playing through two (or even three if you include 1080) snowboarding titles at the same time.
                          As I believe the Xbox version places the bottom two shoulder buttons from the DS2 on the Black and White buttons, I think it could be done. It wouldn't be possible on the GameCube, though.

The PAL version has online.

Mine is a debug version, directly from the EAUK mastering lab 8)

Comment

I've got this as well. Went for the XBox version over the PS2 and GC because of the loading times (which could be quite considerable on the PS2 version BTW) - I've dumped it on the HDD.

What can I say?! Best snowboarding game ever!

As Marcus says - everyhting is improved over SSX Tricky but the biggest improvement to me is the soundtrack! Some super funky tunes.

Graphically improvements come with much better lighting and effects and the frame rate seems to be pretty high.

All I can say is that Amped 2 and 1080 Avalanche will have to go some to beat this.

Comment

I spent most of Sunday on this, what is now one of my top 5 Xbox games. There is so much to do, those who are into collecting will be in heaven here, with as much emphasis on acessories as the likes of DOAXBV, whilst the course is littered with jumps, ramps and rails to perform any of the extensive range of tricks at your disposal.

The SSX series has always been one of two extremes, at its best there is little to touch the adreneline and pure excitement of snowboarding down a mountain in the heat of a race, whilst its flaws notably poor frame rates at times and the incredibly annoying problem of getting "stuck" behind objects have always prevented this being directly comparable to the likes of 1080. SSX3 doesnt rectify this totally, there are frame rate issues and you do still get stuck behind objects, but its certainly a lot more improved than previous incarnations.

Im playing the Xbox version and have to say that it is absolutly beautiful. The long, winding courses are very well designed and continually amaze with their sheer beauty, particularly at night, whilst the blizzard sections are also something to behold. I couldnt not post this without mentioning how lovely it looks at 480P, aesthitically there are few games to touch it right now. The sound is fitting, the music is mostly rock but suits the game well, whilst the commentator is at times useful warning of upcoming dangers, all can be switched off if you prefer however.

The characters are your normal extreme sports far and win no prizes for originality, but the customisation open to you as well as the urge to max out all the charecters is strong. Im using Griff at present, the 12 year old kid.

SSX3 is more challenge based than previous versions. Initially this was off putting as tbh I just like racing, but once I started to learn the tricks and combos it does come extremely addicitve. The scores to progress are challengeing enough to remain interesting, whislt other tasks such as collecting items and racing against a rival also add to the variety on offer. Best of all has to be the huge 15 minute long race from the top of the peak to the bottom, taking in all the mountain has to offer.

Its still flawed, less so than before however, but I cant recommend this enough right now and feel that 1080 2 and Amped 2 will be hard pushed to beat this.

Comment

Working...
                              X