Jap games - cool as

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jap games - cool as

Just got my Jap N64 sent from Tokuda. The packaging is dead cool.
    It came with sealed waverace and a copy of Fzerox. The cover art on Fzero is lush and the boxes themselves seem much nicer, only opening at one end, with the clear plastic cart holders. Different type of carboard too. It's got a sheen to it.
    Same with the jap Gamecube games. Sweeeet and individual rather than your run of the mill dvd case stuff. Small packaging tailored for the small discs.
    [generalisation]Why oh why, doesn't anyone over here seem to have original thought when it comes to artwork and boxes?[/generalisation]

Do yourself a massive favour and get a Japanese copy of Starfox64! and RGB mod that machine!!!!

Comment

I totally get where you`re coming from mate.

I don`t want to sound anti-Western here, but the gameart and packaging of Western games is so often terrible. My main gripe with it though is in the gameart- which is so often so derivative or terrible looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
        Do yourself a massive favour and get a Japanese copy of Starfox64! and RGB mod that machine!!!!
        Yeah that game is totally essential- best game on the N64 after Mario64 IMO.

Comment

Whilst in Japan I bought 7 N64 games and the system. This cost me about ?100 :P The boxes are indeed lovely but i'd like them a lot more if they were MD/NG style. Cardboard depreciates too easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
            Better than Mario 64!

Comment

I've become a bit of a packaging snob really.

For some reason the PAL PS2 spines really annoy me, need to have the NTSC colours hehe.

Do I need help??

Only PAL game I can think of as respectable in terms of artwork is the Gitaroo Man one, which is identical to the JPN release.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoseOfTheUnlight
                Only PAL game I can think of as respectable in terms of artwork is the Gitaroo Man one, which is identical to the JPN release.
                And Ico - using the beautiful Jpn artwork, rather than the absolute travesty that was the US release.

Comment

For some reason the PAL PS2 spines really annoy me, need to have the NTSC colours hehe.

Do I need help??
                  Not at all. After all, a reasonably sized collection effectively replaces your wall decoration, if you think about it.

Books have different bindings, music CDs have individualistic spines....why should games be any different?

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
                    Better than Mario 64!
                    I'll be round your pad soon for some RGB action and US mod. Getting sent the US version of starfox atm. $9 off ebay, including the rumble pack. I presume there's no game difference apart from the voices?
                    Better get your arse to argos too. Cos I'll be bringing my cube as well.

Comment

*cue 2 page Saur rant about the voices in western Starfox 64* :P

Totally justified though, Fox is BAD in the Japanese version!

Comment

Can do yer Cube and N64 for around ?40 blud

Starfox...put it this way:

Japanese version is like a REALLY good anime.
                        US version is like a really cheesy Saturday morning cartoon

The game is all about score attack - may as well do so without the **** voices!

Comment

Well, for ?5 you can't go wrong really. If it suddenly becomes my fave game ever, I'll think about the Jap version.

Comment

I totally agree with you about the N64 box situation, back in the day when the N64 was first released in the UK I was happy to by uk games totally unaware about imports.

Then later on I started discovering just how good the japanese versions were over their uk counterparts. The final straw that started me on the path to only getting Japanese N64 stuff was when donkey kong 64 was released in the uk and was at a ridiculous ripoff price, i managed to pick up the superior japanese version for just over half the price of the uk one and the japanese version had cool extras such as donkey kong promo trading cards inside and it had the expansion pack as well (bloody ripoff nintendo uk/ THE games).

Whoever was employed by nintendo to do the uk artwork should have been sacked in my opinion, they totally mutilated the japamese works of art. (Rant mode off)

I anyone wants to see just how cool japanese N64 boxes are over the uk ones then have a peek at my Japanese N64 collection

Comment

Why don't companies just keep the Japanese cover art? All they'd need to do is change the title and stuff to English, using the same font perhaps, and it'd be cheaper too.

And yes, the US Ico box is terrible. Is the Jap case anything like the sublime pastel-like work of the UK release?

Comment

Working...
                              X