The DUNE games...space strategy, Supremacy and Millenium 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DUNE games...space strategy, Supremacy and Millenium 2.2

My favourite has to be the original adventure gane developed by the French studio Cryo however everyone knows that the sequel developed by Westwood almost single handedly invented the RTS genre. I even have a soft spot for Emperor: Battle for Dune and as yet have not picked up the poorly reviewed action adventure title that was released within the last year.

The original title still stands the test of time in my eyes as it totally immerses the player within the world of Arrakis and Frank Herberts universe. The convoluting plot strands and merging of strategy and exploration across the desert work fantastically well. The fact that you can actually win th game from a multitude of different approaches either through military, ecological or political angles adds further fire to the flame.

I'd dearly love to see a set of strategy games based on the DUNE prequels. Something akin to the classics like Deuteros, Supremacy and Millenium 2.2 would work so well within this grandious scope.

I really miss these games as the PC market has went "Age of Anything" anti sci-fi strategy crazy at the moment.

Time to send in the Sardukar...

Hi Valiant

I had DuneII on the Amiga, played it for over a year non-stop.

A few years back I bought that Dune2000 (I think) for the PC and it was utter pants ft:

Regards

PaulMK

Comment

Whilst I tend to like the odd rts I must confess to loving the original adventure most. I'd never seen the film before playing the game, so didn't know what to expect, but I must admit that it is an immensely immersive experience. Go around furthering your plans to push out the Harkonnen, but for the love of god don't miss those spice shipments! How far can you push the emperor in terms of skimping on spice before you get the chop? How much do you think you can afford to haggle with the merchants over that vital extra ornihopter? Great stuff. Very open ended in small ways - two players may play essentially the same game but with subtle differences. Voice acting was top notch, too. All added to the end effect.

Mind, I never completed the game using methods other than out and out combat. Maybe a reason to revisit?

Comment

Working...
      X