Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xenosaga - Official Thread

Hi,

Ive received my copy of Namco's Xenosaga today and though I might try out an official thread for it. Anyone else own this at the moment and if so what are your thoughts? Ill give this a try today and post back, Im reasonably looking forward to this seeing as how I missed out on one of the most applauded RPGs in the 32bit era, Xenogears. Thoughts, gameplay tips and advice please.

Yo!

I received my copy a couple of weeks ago, "only" up to 5 hours so far though. TBH I've found it to be immensely boring so far, and not a patch on FFX. The gameplay:cutscene ration is even more extreme than MGS2 - I think a huge majority of the 5 hours I've got down so far were cutscene - but even though MGS2 was criticised for the quantity of scenes, at least they looked good and had some cool action in them. Xenosaga's are not very well animated and simply consist of boring gob****e conversations.

I've reached a stage now where I've been running around a spaceship for ages and ages, and I don't seem to be getting anywhere at all. I've shelved it for now and gone back to what is, IMO, a far better Namco title - Ace Combat 04!!

Comment

My sentiments exactly Chadruharazzeb.

So far, I've found it quite boring and haven't found any reason to go back to it anytime soon. Besides, a few days after Xenosaga landed, my copy of Dark Cloud 2 emerged, which is a far better title IMO.

Comment

Im around two and a half hours through and am enjoying it reasonably enough. The intro sequence was superb and sets the game up nicely, whilst I agree with what you say about excessive usage of cut scenes Im hoping that its mainly due to the initial character building aspect of the game, Ill be disappointed if this is the shape of things to come. Ive been in a few training battles, without reading the instruction manuel, and am a little vague on a few areas but combat seemed reasonable enough and immediatly familier to anyone into Final Fantasy series. Im hoping there will soon be more game and less chat.

Comment

regardless of peoples opinions of what they say, here's xengamers review of it.

13 hour wait for the good stuff, err, no thanks. 13 hours is 3 hours too long for a 'iwilldefinatelycompletethis' game for me, let alone a 13 hour intro.

Comment

13 hours?

Oh dear. Im already only 5 hours into the game and am enjoying it immensly at present. There are a multitude of cut scenes and CG sequences, but when they are of this high quality I really cant complain, they will still form only a small percentage of the overall playing time when you consider the supposed size of the game.

Im at the point where the Gnosis have invaded the ship, and Im trying to escape with a bear minimum of supplies. The sequence where they invaded was stunning to say the least, whilst Im very impressed at the coolness of the Gnosis themselves, and have thus far been good adversaries.

Kos Mos is already becoming one of the coolest RPG characters for me, again the sequence involving her towards the time of the invasion was nothing short of amazing. The game seems to have a real style anc character about it, unlike some other RPGs that have faceless and forgettable characters and storylines.

I can see this will eat up my time over the coming weeks, the game does have a very slow start I agree, but right now Im really liking Xenosaga, and Ive not even got technically involved as yet. Ill spend some time shortly digesting the many options and combinations that the game offers.

Comment

Hi guys

ive got mine as well, and im approx 3 hours in. i am enjoying it, but it does seem very slow paced. It is entertaining, but overall its not what I expected. its ironic that its taken me 12 months to discover this since getting the JPN release, but never playing it once:P

Its a good idea for an official thread, as this is a beast of a game.

Comment

I was unipressed with Xenogears so I'm interested to see what saga throws up. How are the cutscenes negotiated? Before I wouldn't have had a problem with sitting through tons of speech - FFX and MGS2 taught me that as long as I enjoy it, I'll sit through anything all day long but now I have less and less free time - games tend to be played in very short, dense bursts, so I'm wondering how well Xenosaga will suit my lifestyle when I eventually get to pick it up

Comment

Its an epic, story led game, and story development is frequently by way of cut scene, so perhaps its not the ideal game to play if you dont have that sort of time on your hands. This will last me weeks as Im in a similar situation of not having a great deal of free time, and the problem with playing a game like this in those circumstances is that its easy to forget the story or what your next task is if you dont play it regularly.

Comment

Whilst nobody will argue Xenosaga is a bit of a beast when it comes to cinematics and cut scenes, it has to be said that the game does succeed in being a very polished, atmospheric, engrossing game, one with a very engaging story line that is certainly going to get better as the game progresses.

Everything about the game I'm a fan of, the story so far has been excellent (about 5 or so hours in), the music is amazing (I know own the soundtrack for a very good price!) and the overall visual polish rounds the title of nicely.

Granted much of the game so far involves paying attention but that's what I enjoy. I'd rather a detailed story that is involving than one that's got more holes than Swiss cheese!

Bottom line, I like this game, if you like a good RPG, then you should too

Comment

Interesting... please keep the updates coming as you all progress further through the game

I've had my eye on this for a while now, but I don't know whether I can afford to devote so much time to one game at the moment. I am very tempted through

If the high number of cut scenes and slow pace are consistent throughout, I might give this game a miss.

Comment

I was interested in this for a while but then decided against a preorder due to the cut scene nature. Is there plenty of opportunity to save? Frequently?

I am wondering about the ep1 nature of it too. Can I justify buying two games?

Anyone got any impressions of .hack aswell.

My problem is that I am playing through ff7 atm and how the **** will anything compare to that!

Comment

Saving isnt a problem, you are never too far away from a save point so its not the end of the world if you get trounced by something. Unlike a lot of other RPGs, you dont automatically replinish health when you save, you need a Global Sphere item to do this.

Earlier I sat through a 25 minute (no joke) cut scene, but as I mentioned earlier the story and execution of the cinema is well done so I didnt get fed up watching what must be one of the longest sequences in a game ever. It is worth mentioning that all cut scenes can be skipped at any time, although its not adviseable as you will miss vital story and character developments.

Going back to Kos-Mos, Im falling in love with this character! She is a lot like Seven-Of-Nine in many ways, precise, intelligent and mechanic, yet there is the human side to her also. Shes as single minded as they come and isnt afraid to sacrifice anything to complete her mission (those just getting into the game will soon see what I mean). Ive now got Ziggy and soon will have Chaos, the characterization in the game is really very good.

Im getting more indepth with battles, aquiring new skills and extracting abilities, and am going to spend some time levelling up some of my characters soon. The battles have been good, nothing majorly challenging as yet but Ive noticed some battles have taken me upwards of 20 minutes to win, although its entirely possible Im going about them the wrong way.

Comment

If I get suddenly bored of everything else in my collection before weekend (when ZOE2 and World Tour Soccer show up... ahhhh) I'll give it another go.

I found the cutscenes to be very dull, both visually and in terms of content. And it's probably my fault but I appear to be stuck at the moment - just after the gnosis attack the ship. All I seem to be able to do is run around the ship fighting the same respawning enemies in the same fashion over and over again. The combat engine is almost identical to FFX, but sadly it doesn't look half as good.

Comment

Most of the idea there is to avoid the Gnosis, by walking slowly or using the environment to your advantage. If you wasnt impressed by the sequence where the Gnosis attack the ship then theres no hope for you as Im sure you will find the rest dull also, I however found that to be brilliant, seeing the mechs trying to hold them off in space was just stunning. Its not the highest quality of cut scenes, but its the slickness and style that sets it apart from me. The game does mirror FF no doubt, and Im quite at home with that myself, so it doesnt really bother me, even though its entirely unoriginal.

Comment

Working...
                              X