Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Super Monkey Ball to ruin the series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Super Monkey Ball to ruin the series?

Simian magic to expand with spin - We can exclusively reveal that the preliminary work on Super Monkey Ball 3 is already underway at Sega's acclaimed R&D studio, Amusement Vision, headed up by the bourbon-powered Toshihiro...click for more

This Spong article mentions that the second analogue stick might be used to add spin:

"AV is looking at greatly expanding the mechanic behind Monkey Ball. Some of the things they are working on should explode what is possible from the game, with complete spin, controlled with the second analogue stick, already in place in early tech demos."
    ...but won't this just needlessly complicate a game that was so great because of its simplicity?

Everyone who has ever played my copies of these games (including my games hating girlfriend) has loved it because its so easy to pick up, but this might just ruin the whole formula??

oof- i think your right. That was one of the things that made the first one so great- the simplicity of the controls, and the purity of the gameplay.

Comment

No way! Super Monkey Ball won't be complete until AV do a deal with Capcom and release Super Monkey Batallion which uses the Tekki controller.

Comment

I think they are taking the series in the wrong direction; the second was clearly worse than the first. Though, lets face it, you can never have enough of monkies in a ball.

Ei Ei Poo!

Comment

I get the impression that they're scared, or reluctant, to release an 'expansion pack' for the original Super Monkey Ball which is what a sequel using the same control system and levels in the spirit of the original would inevitably be labelled.

As it is I can't even be bothered to unlock all the mini-games on SMB2 and by the sounds of it its pretty unlikely I'll even bother purchasing SMB3.

Comment

Why not take into consideration wind direction as well

If they make the controls complicated then the whole charm of the game will be lost.

Comment

****ing up games is fun-fun-great
              Let's us co-operate yeah-yeah-woo
              Magical spell is Ei-ei-poo

Comment

Somebody at Game Croydon told me SMB was coming to the PS2.

Comment

I think this is good, firstly casual gamers are probably happy with just the first game, those buying the 3rd one are most likely going to be fans of the series and they are going to want some new features.

I personally thought the first two games are about as good as each other, they do seem quite different in the stages design. I play Monkey Ball 2 more than the first.

I just think they need to add something to the gameplay to make it worthwhile releasing a 3rd game.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewl
                    I just think they need to add something to the gameplay to make it worthwhile releasing a 3rd game.
                    But they don't have to do this by adding greater complexity to the control scheme. The later levels on the smb series are hard enough without having to put spin on the ball too. Also it will alienate far too many gamers, the accessability of the first 2 games is what got people playing, and continue to play.

Comment

they do seem quite different in the stages design
                      Agreed and this is where SMB2 falls down for me. In the original every time I failed at a level I knew exactly where the fault lay - with me. Yet in the sequel I find myself swearing and cursing at the level design. Even on the easy levels. There seems to be a far larger element of 'hit and hope' to getting through a level as opposed to the tests of delicacy and precision that were prevalent in the first.

Comment

I think the spin could work - it just depends on the direction they take the level design. I just wonder how much they've been influenced by watching the 'extreme'-style videos of people playing the first 2 games to the limit.

A more stunt-orientated game could be a step forward.

Comment

Whoever made 'launchers' needs a good hard kicking.

Comment

Once again, a great game becomes 'just another franchise'.

Typical.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish
                              they do seem quite different in the stages design
                              Agreed and this is where SMB2 falls down for me. In the original every time I failed at a level I knew exactly where the fault lay - with me. Yet in the sequel I find myself swearing and cursing at the level design.
                              No, it's always your fault still, excpet for the Launchers level. It is still entirely skill-based, but you just need to use your mind more in SMB2 and I welcome the fact that #2 had far more variety.

As for #3, that does sound a bit odd, but then I don't really trust SPONG anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X