Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macross (ps2)

anybody else got this yet?

i've hardly done very much, just played the 5th stage....but i'm really loving it so far.

flying the fighter feels very similar to ace combat, zooming around the sky (or space) firing off tons of missiles all at once (you hold over 700 ).

using battroid on the ground is a little like virtual on...running around, strafing, and boosting in between buildings or over sand dunes of mars. the buildings i've seen so far could look a little better, but they serve their purpose, and are totally destructible too.

gerwalk mode is a little more tricky to handle, and i haven't really got used to this one yet, but its obvious that each version of your valkyrie has certain advantageous that you can/should use.

obviously you can switch between them any time you like, but some missions seem to be made with certain ones in mind .
    and only five missions in, there has been plenty of different objectives too...straight up dogfights, protecting the macross fortress and other bases (from either ships or missiles, in the air or on the ground), flying through asteroids within a time limit.

some of the areas the missions take place in are fairly small, but maybe this changes with some of the latter ones.

if anyones thinking about getting it, then i definatley recommend it.
    zooming around as the fighter sending off missiles then switching to battroid to spin around and blast the stuff coming up behind is putting a great big grin on my face.

Originally posted by Fuddle
    flying the fighter feels very similar to ace combat, zooming around the sky (or space) firing off tons of missiles all at once (you hold over 700 ).
    Actually, I am mightily surprised at how similar the game is to Digital Mission VF-X (both 1 and 2). Admittedly it is a lot better, but the main tenets of gameplay still apply (as in being unable to fire missiles in battroid mode for one, bloody stupid that is). It is a solidly crafted title though.

using battroid on the ground is a little like virtual on...running around, strafing, and boosting in between buildings or over sand dunes of mars. the buildings i've seen so far could look a little better, but they serve their purpose, and are totally destructible too.
    No, it isn't like Virtual On. Whilst you do have a lock on feature and you can boost, it is still very much an analogue and free form type of gameplay (there is no melee combat either).

gerwalk mode is a little more tricky to handle, and i haven't really got used to this one yet, but its obvious that each version of your valkyrie has certain advantageous that you can/should use.
    This much is true, and it may put a fair few non-Macross fans off. This, I think, is a pity because the game is remarkably solid.

if anyones thinking about getting it, then i definatley recommend it.
    zooming around as the fighter sending off missiles then switching to battroid to spin around and blast the stuff coming up behind is putting a great big grin on my face.
    I can second that. It is a good title and one finally that does justice to the Macross franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
      No, it isn't like Virtual On. Whilst you do have a lock on feature and you can boost, it is still very much an analogue and free form type of gameplay (there is no melee combat either).
      only said it was a little bit like it
      still great fun though

Comment

Do we mean another "Macross" game or "Robotech: Battlecry"?

As I didn't know that there was a new one out.
        But I've played Robotech: Battlecry, if that is what you mean.

But obviously, if you don't mean that, just ignore me....

Comment

Originally posted by Crispin
          Do we mean another "Macross" game or "Robotech: Battlecry"?
          not robotech, proper macross.
          its this one made by sega and bandai.

Comment

Ooh, this looks better than the Robotech: Battlecry version.

Mind you, TDK vs Sega AM2, would there ever have been any contest.

PAL release, when?

This looks a much more organic experience than Battlecry.

Comment

[Prays for PAL release while avoiding making any comment on Robotech: Battlecry]

Comment

Well I'll make a comment on Battlecry:
                Great game marred by messed up controls.
                Admit it, Guardian controls were messed up (v. difficult to stop in cities). Fighter couldn't be used in cities for obvious reasons.

So that left, Battloid mode. No missiles, d'oh!
                With a sniper score. Except the enemy always spotted you before you could use it.

Still a fun game. Just messed up controls.

Comment

For more Moodmon: Battlecry goodness, see... Linky

And also in a not entirely unrelated note Moodmon-branded ZOE fanboyism

This thread should just be about what looks to be a wonderful game. Almost incentive enough to get of my fat backside and get the PS2 chipped. Almost...

Comment

Where can i get this game, i cant find the dam thing anywhere, please help.

Comment

Lo fishbowlhead.

try here

Macross: The Super Dimension Fortress for PlayStation 2Macross: The Super Dimension Fortresshas been developed by Sega-AM2's Aero Dancing team. In the game you play as the Valkyrie plane, and you can transform into 3 different forms: Fighter, Gerwalk or Battloid. Each form has different abilities, such as Fighter and Gerwalk can shoot missiles, and Battloid can use laser cannons.あの、超Â空要塞マクロスがプレイステーション2でç»å ´!!3Dアクションシューティングで完全再現された、マクロスのハイスピードバトルを体感せよ!!

I wrote the ntsc-uk.com review for this game and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is definately worth picking up, you won't regret it if you are a fan of the series.

Comment

I started playing this and I'm stuck already. On mission two there is a timer. I kill as many enemies as possible but it just isn't good enough. What exactly do I have to do here?
                        Any help would be great.

Comment

its a long time since i played it,
                          but i would guess thats the one where you have to fly down and land on the macross fortress.

Comment

How do I land?

Comment

just switch to battroid close to its surface.

Comment

Working...
                              X