Project Gotham Racing 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Gotham Racing 2

With this game out shortly and the demo available to uk folks i thought we should start a thread on this fantastic game. Right just got the demo and first thought is it looks f**king amazing, alot better than the screen shots had me believe. As for the frame rate at 30fps, it hasn`t bothered me in the slightest and isn`t really as noticable is i thought it was gonna be and you soon forgot about it. As for the handling, it is still as responsive as PGR and pretty much unchanged but one thing i noticed was that your cars back end can be alot more twitchey now if breaking hard into corners and you can loose it far more easily where with pgr it allowed you to get away with quite abit by going hard into a corner. But 5 minutes play had me correcting my style of driving and was taking corners no probs after that. Also you don`t gamble kudos anymore and you have a set target score for each medal and you pick what medal you want to try for and find this method alot better than the original. Were bizarre right to half the framerate for more detail? After playing this demo i wuold have to totally agree with them. Can`t wait for the full release now.

One of the biggest games of the year for me, I love the series.

I'd say that both games (MSR and PGR) have been flawed, but were both able to show some moments of pure bliss. I'm hoping this sequel can get that little bit closer to the classic it deserves to be.

Comment

Wheres the demo from????

Comment

I felt a bit luke warm towards to the demo at first, but it is slowing growing on me, and I'm sure the depth of the full game will win me over. As for the handling, it was more heavy than I expected (the cone challenge in the Trans Am is a bitch), but I think that could be something to do with the locked framerate. BC stated that although the framerate has been halved, the physics calculations hadn't, but that doesn't feel like the case to me. Anyway, still handles ok, it'll just take a few hotlaps to get used to it.

The graphics are gorgeous, although I think Racing Evoluzione looks better, but then that game wasn't having to push around real locations. The 30fps is ok, although I have seen the old 'backward scrolling texture' effect rear it's head a few times, but it probably won't bother me too much once I get behind the wheel of a TVR Speed 12

Comment

I just want to play it online since PGR is one my favourite games this generation 8)

Comment

Where is this demo in question from as whilst I like to hear about you guys playing it I'd rather like to get my hands on it?

Comment

OXM UK

Comment

The online element in this sounds superb. Every single level in the game has the best kudos score/lap time etc set by people on xbox live saved to the servers, and you can download the ghost. So everyone is competing against each other in what would ostensibly be called the single-player modes of the game, to get their name up in lights That alongside your normal online multiplayer modes. Its blurring the online/offline distinction... like I said in another thread, it seems to me to be the first XBL game to really try to push the potential of online gaming beyond your bog-standard tacked-on multiplayer maps or content downloads. I can't wait

Comment

BC stated that although the framerate has been halved, the physics calculations hadn't, but that doesn't feel like the case to me. Anyway, still handles ok, it'll just take a few hotlaps to get used to it.
                  With playing 20 hours+ of gotham the handling is 2nd nature to me and after trying pgr2 demo for a while the handling to me feels similar and as responsive as gotham but you can loose control of the car alot easier now at high speeds.

The graphics are gorgeous, although I think Racing Evoluzione looks better, but then that game wasn't having to push around real locations.
                  I thought racing evolutionize was very uninspiring graphically. The image was very soft and blurry, texturing was bland and scenery didn`t look partically impressive. With PGR2 look at the yokohama track and florence and tell me they don`t look impressive. Lovely texturing, great car models and a hugggee draw distance. One moment that impresses me on the demo is on the yokohoma track when you come over that bridge and you can see the huge horizon of buildings right in front of you, lovely.

As for the online element i never thought about it to much as i love the single player so much on gotham but by what you said there matt i`mlooking quite forward to it now. Looks like there will be a few downloading my ghosts then

Comment

Im going to wait until the full release, and then snatch it as soon as possible from the shopkeepers hand, I cant wait to take this one Live.
                    I predict it will prove to be the most popular of the latest batch of Live titles, and I can live with 30fps especially when it is a game of such pedigree.
                    I am wondering though if the games programmers have corrected a fault which I noticed in PGR, that being the screetching of the tires sound effect, when going around a corner. In the first game on Xbox this sound effect sounded quite unrealistic,and pasted on. I hope they have attended to issues such as this, as it was really quite noticeable, and interfered with my suspension of disbelief.

Comment

With playing 20 hours+ of gotham the handling is 2nd nature to me and after trying pgr2 demo for a while the handling to me feels similar and as responsive as gotham but you can loose control of the car alot easier now at high speeds.
                      Yeah, but the thing is it not as responsive due to it running at 30hz. There's little point sampling the controls at 60hz (as with PGR) when half is going to be discarded. This is probably the reason why it is easier to lose control at high speeds. I personally think there is a difference in handling between the 2 games. I'm not saying I don't like it, it's fine, I just need to adjust to it.

Comment

Where's the best/cheapest place to pre-order the Pal version?

Comment

Hopefully this won't be like the eagerly awaited MSR demo which turned out to be more fun than the entire finished game.

Also: Does anyone know where one might be able to download the MSR soundtrack?

Comment

Had a brief look at the demo tonight.

The handling is different under hard braking, and it does feel a little different to the other games. But that can be adjusted for.

The graphics look bloody amazing, very good indeed. Enviroment mapping is just jaw dropping.

But there is something that feels not right about it ... But i just can't seem to put my finger on it...I think it's the drop in frames. PGR seemed a little more tight.

I will have to inspect the full game, to pass my true judgement..

Comment

Originally posted by Burai
                              Hopefully this won't be like the eagerly awaited MSR demo which turned out to be more fun than the entire finished game.
                              You're such a bloody cynic .

Can't wait for this. I've quite happily passed on Sega GT Online and TOCA to concentrate on this baby .

Comment

Working...
                              X