Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is better PAL RGB or NTSC RGB?

Topic is self explanatory.

RGB is RGB. Region free. However some consoles output better signals than others. For example the hacked RGB from the NTSC GC looks better than the official RGB on the PAL GC.

Comment

Yup. The whole point of RGB is that it bypasses these 40+ year old systems and directly drives the electron guns on your TV set.

Comment

The reason I brought this up was that I ordered the US Guilty Gear XX from DVD BO about 2 days before I realised that the PAL version was just out and supported 60 htz. Given DVD BO's habit of taking ages to get new stock and post out orders I could cancel my order and get the PAL one from Play.com or whatever.

Thing is though I haven't had enough import games on my modded PAL PS2 to really tell the difference between running NTSC games through RGB an PAL ones through RGB but I seem to remember that the picture quality on Capcom's PAL 2D fighters like Street Fighter Alpha/Zero on the PSX looked quite dull and muted through RGB compared to the NTSC versions using the same SCART connection. Would that be due to crappy PAL conversions or is there a noticeable difference between picture quality on PAL & NTSC games through RGB?

Comment

60Hz mode on the PS2 is NTSC anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Nisa
            The reason I brought this up was that I ordered the US Guilty Gear XX from DVD BO about 2 days before I realised that the PAL version was just out and supported 60 htz. Given DVD BO's habit of taking ages to get new stock and post out orders I could cancel my order and get the PAL one from Play.com or whatever.

Thing is though I haven't had enough import games on my modded PAL PS2 to really tell the difference between running NTSC games through RGB an PAL ones through RGB but I seem to remember that the picture quality on Capcom's PAL 2D fighters like Street Fighter Alpha/Zero on the PSX looked quite dull and muted through RGB compared to the NTSC versions using the same SCART connection. Would that be due to crappy PAL conversions or is there a noticeable difference between picture quality on PAL & NTSC games through RGB?
            You have nothing to worry about. I've got the PAL GGXX (via Official Sony RGB Cable) and it looks lush

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
              ... For example the hacked RGB from the NTSC GC looks better than the official RGB on the PAL GC.
              I have both, there really (really) isn't any difference. PAL GC RGB is just as good as NTSC GC RGB with the hacked cable.

Also PAL and NTSC PS2 RGB should be pretty much indistinguishable, its basically the same hardware.

The main difference between PAL and NTSC RGB would be 50Hz vs 60Hz. The scanlines are closer together at 50Hz, so in theory the picture should look brighter. If you are sensitive to the lower refresh rate then the picture might look more flickery and duller though. Also, your tv might make one refresh rate look better than the other.

For GGXX the PAL version reportedly has a 60Hz mode, so it should look identical to the NTSC version (unless they've altered the color palette, which is _very_ unlikely).

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                RGB is RGB. Region free. However some consoles output better signals than others. For example the hacked RGB from the NTSC GC looks better than the official RGB on the PAL GC.
                Erm, not sure if that is strictly true about the hacked/offical RGB lead for GC. But certain machines do output a stonger RGB signal. Compare the Dreamcast's RGB output to the X-BOX. It might just be my eyes, but the DC's signal seems so much stonger and vibrant.

Comment

DC and Saturn RGB are the best out of the lot I'm running.

PS/PS2 are okay but annoyingly seem to have a slight dull flicker in the centre of the screen.

GameCube doesn't have this but the picture is so-so. Colours aren't as sharp as they possibly could be.

XBox... Well, it's not dark like some people have claimed. It just doesn't seem quite as defined or as clear as the rest of my consoles.

With regards to PAL or NTSC RGB:

Isn't RGB just RGB? It doesn't matter what region your console is.

Comment

Working...
                  X