Magic Pengel: The Quest for Colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic Pengel: The Quest for Colour

This was just recently released in the US, after having a Japanese release under some name or other. It's a Taito game in the vein of Pokemon or Monster Rancher, where the twist is that you draw the creatures rather than catching them. Then it's of to the arena to face 'em off against each other for fame and progress through the game. You might have seen it in Edge 130.

Anyway, it is quite a good game. Your "doodles", as the creatures are called, turn out quite crap at the start due to a lack of l33t draw1ng skillz, but you do get better as the game goes on. The beutiful simplicity, and sometimes complexity, of your oppenent drives you to better your own doodles, and a few hours in you find yourself putting the finishing touches to what is definitley a bird, or Cloud, or, at worst, a big floating blob with sticks. I've just drawn a Pokemon-inspired blob monster with Colonel Sander's beard and tasche, with appropriate wibble wobble.

Magic Penegl is certainly the Deep Blue of defining the wibble wobble of your drawings. More often then not, legs, arms, tails and tasches are animated as you intended them to be. Every kink representing a knee, or an elbow, or a bent neck, is defined as so and your doodles move with as much grace or awkardness as you want them to.

The story does get a bit heavy, although I'm only about 25% in. Your progress is rewarded by allowing you to draw more body parts, and a more difficult opponent, not to mention some beutiful Studio Ghibli-created animation and more information on the backstory to the game.

Anyone else got this?

Edit: Spelling

Sadly not, but I really would like a PAL release. I've been interested in this title for a long while.......

Comment

I've had my eye on this for a while. Unfortunately my PS2 is the only PAL console I own (something I'm regretting with this and Xenosaga being PS2 only). I've got limbs crossed for a PAL release.

Comment

I don't like these types of games, but after reading the review in Edge, it really intrigued me. I hope it does get a PAL release, because I'd be interested in checking it out.

Comment

Bringing this up, since with the weak $, Ive seen this for cheap to buy, and being strapped for cash needed some more opinions.

A game that Ill cherish in ages to come?
          Likely to be rare and tough to get later on?
          How much do YOU think its worth?

Surely more people have played this?! Looks to be an amazing gem.
          Do divulge more please.

Comment

I played the JP version named rakugaki oukoku. There's a sequel on the way

Oh and it's not really worth too much I think. It's pretty cheap in japan, and quite easy to get *I think*.

Oh and another thing, the english name is ****ing awful.

Comment

I just got the u.s version of this off ebay for ?15.

Well what can I say? It's wonderful, and as Edge said a while ago for Made in Wario, its a game that isnt afraid to be a game.

It all has a very calm, releaxed feeling about it. I find my self very relaxed when im playing it. I can't really add anything else which has been said at the top apart from the music is simply amazing, and the art work of the whole game constanly reminds me of a Certain Studo Ghilbi, which I beleave helped work on this game.

Anyway its a must buy, the only thing is that the Paper,Scisiors,Rock Style of the fighting system can be in my opnion quite frustating.

Anyhoo, its a must have, im not sure if its sought after or not, so grab it before it dissapers and goes into the realm of forgotten classics.

Hope that helped

Comment

Working...
              X