XBox 5.1 Sound - problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBox 5.1 Sound - problems

I've recently purchased a 5.1 sound system which works great with my DVD player and TV. However... whenever I enable Surround Sound as opposed to stereo in my XBox's audio settings and start up a game (such as Halo) I get silence leaving it set to stereo works fine.

I have a US XBox connected via the advanced scart pack to my TV and an optical cable leading from the advanced scart pack box to the 5.1 amplifier.

The advanced scart pack is currently one I've borrowed off a mate who bought it in the UK for a UK Xbox. Before I splash out importing a US one does anybody know if this is likely to be the problem!

X-Box Advanced Scart leads are universal, so that shouldn't be your problem.

Go int your X-Box Audio menu, and you need to enable "Dolby Digital", as well as Dolby Surround in the "Audio Mode".

If that doesn't solve your problem, you then need to check whether you need to switch anything on your sound system.

Comment

Thanks Sandman. I've tried all the permutations of those options but with no luck.

I'd not thought of enabling anything on the amp as it detects the signal type of anything else I've plugged in. Time to dig out the manual by the looks of it.

Comment

I'm using a UK Advanced Scart lead with a US XBox as well and it works perfectly for me. I suppose either it or the optical cable might be faulty?

Comment

I've tried two optical cables... both work with my DVD but not the XBox. If the scart box is universal and I'll need one of my own anyway I might try and pick another up today.

Its driving me mad. I'm longing to play though Halo again but with decent sound this time round

Comment

does it work ok with 5.1 on a regular dvd player?

is the amp set to auto decode?

Comment

Yes to both!

Comment

Working...
              X