X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some questions on chipping a PS2

Hi, i was thinking of chipping my PS2 but have no idea what it involves

1) How easy is it to chip a PAL PS2
    2) How much does it cost to install and how much is the chip?
    3) Also what is the best chip to use?
    4) Do i still need a boot disc to boot US and JAP games even with a chip?

I only want to play import games, and dont care about copies or multiregion DVD etc.

Thanks!

1) depends on the model, but you're looking at 20+ wires for any non swap chip. If you've got a v3 (around PAL launch, check for 10 caps on the bottom covering screws, if you've got 8 then it's a later model) then you're shafted. It's doable, but most installers won't touch them and the ones that will charge ?20 more.

2) looking at around ?60-100 all in, depending on chip and model of your PS2.

3) any no swap chip, like messiah 2, magic 3, or (if you want stealth PS1 code) DMS3.

4) No. Some older chips did (origa etc) but these are obsolete. You can get a flip lid and a swap magic boot disc, these don't need a chip installed tho.

Comment

1) How easy is it to chip a PAL PS2

its hard, theres its 23 wires and the points to solder to are very small

2) How much does it cost to install and how much is the chip?

it should cost around 70 quid for chip+install

3) Also what is the best chip to use?

best chip to use messiah 2 the others such as magic 3 are crap. i have one and it works 100%

4) Do i still need a boot disc to boot US and JAP games even with a chip?

no boot discs on chips like the messiah 2, it direct boots them.

Comment

I fitted my own Messiah 2, and it was very difficult. I would strongly recommend you get one installed professionally. Once you've found and bought the tools you need to do the job, you may as well have paid someone to fit it anyway.

Comment

I'd advise you to contact one of the talented people here on the forum - willl2003, who did a superb job for me, or Saurian - to get the job done.

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

hehe i was never even considering doing it myself! I'm not sure how early my PS2 is, i got it when Sony did their first price drop.

Are the JAP/US PS2's easier to chip? I'm thinking it might just be easier and cheaper just to buy a second hand Japanese PS2. I only really want it chipped so i can play all the JAP PS2 shooters..

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby
              Are the JAP/US PS2's easier to chip? I'm thinking it might just be easier and cheaper just to buy a second hand Japanese PS2. I only really want it chipped so i can play all the JAP PS2 shooters..
              AFAIK there isn't really a difference as far as chipping is concerned.

I *think* that only PAL PS2s can play PAL DVDs though (not sure about PAL games).

Comment

Write to Will and get a quote from him! He's a guy who frequents these forums and chips PS2s. His work is exemplary.

Drop him a line - (and check out the feedback folder for will2003)
                [email protected]

Much easier than doing it yourself and it'd probably work out cheaper too.

Comment

Working...
                X