Prince Of Persia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prince Of Persia

Right, seeing as noone else has done i thought i'd start a thread about my favourite game of the year : Prince Of Persia The Sands Of Time.

I always liked the original prince of persia, with the snes version sticking in my mind the most, but never went crazy over the game.
    When the movies from E3 came out they passed me by, but my interested sky-rocketed when i got hold of the xbox demo.

the sense of freedom and fluidity of movement astounded me, the only other game i can remember feeling this happy to just play was Super Mario 64. I enjoyed the flow of the game so much that i completed the demo about 5-10 times whilst other games just sat around.

I got the game the last week but only got time to play it yesterday, and it feels just as fresh as when i first played the demo. I'm moving through the game quite quickly (which is unusual for me) but it doesn't matter as the game is not about challenging you its about the experience, i can envisage myself finishing this game many times over, just like a good movie or book its something that you will come back to just to relive the experience.

well those are my ramblings, what do you guys (and gals) think?

Initial impressions are extremely positive from me. Im reasonably new to the series I admit, but instantly fell in love with the style and beauty of this game. The zooming effects are superb in particular, and the ability to wall run is good fun also. Im putting this on hold until Ive seen off Grabbed By The Ghoulies first, but am looking forward to playing this one properly.

Comment

This has grabbed my attention going by what people are saying. I'm downloading videos right now. This game had slipped under my radar completely somehow.

Comment

The PS2 version is out this week is it not?

Comment

Same here. It is THE smoothest game i've played for a long time the camera moves beautifully and the animation is incredible. I'm not sure which version you guys are playing but the xbox version is the best imo. Fighting is also great fun, fluid and frantic. Not played it much but looking forward to settling down with it all this week.

Comment

I'm actually torn whether to get the PS2 of XBox version at the moment, leaning towards the XBox, since my XB collection looks quite paltry compared to my PS2 one.

Comment

I'll be picking up the Xbox version whenever I find the time for yet another game. So much has been bought recently that I really need to clear them away before starting on new software.

I was impressed with the PS2 demo, however I found it quite unresponsive and slow, hence the move to the Xbox.

Comment

If you think about it, this is the game that toby gard should be making galleon into in terms of movement, anyway.

i'm playing right now, and another neat touch just appeared.

SPOILER (not a proper one thou)
                Originally posted by spoiler
                when your swinging on a bar you can turn mid-swing making you look like a professional bars gymnast.

Comment

Still extremely sceptical. Is there anything about this game that makes you think it's something better than just a really slick game combined with elements from whatever other cool ideas were floating around during the development time? All I'm getting so far is some hack designer trying to figure out how to mash together ideas lifted wholesale from Blinx and Ico and wrap them up into the Prince of Persia license.

Comment

Originally posted by Manta Ray vs Guitar
                    Still extremely sceptical. Is there anything about this game that makes you think it's something better than just a really slick game combined with elements from whatever other cool ideas were floating around during the development time? All I'm getting so far is some hack designer trying to figure out how to mash together ideas lifted wholesale from Blinx and Ico and wrap them up into the Prince of Persia license.
                    I was never a big fan of tomb raider (I'm not sure if you were or not) but for me POP has exactly what I was looking for from TR. You walk into a huge room, you're shown where the exit is and you need to figure out how to get to it. The beauty of playing the game is how well realised the controls are. The ability to climb, jump and swing have all been melded together into a control system which is introduced to you in a perfect learning curve in the earlier levels of the game. When you do figure out how to negotiate a room the feeling of satisfaction is immense.

The fighting system while being quite basic offers some stylish moves and the ability to slow down time and makes it easy to take on multiple enemies without too much trouble. The reverse time element that you can use is almost like an undo feature in the game if you don't make a jump or you get overpowered in a fight you can reverse time and try it another way. It sounds like a gimmick but it takes away the element of frustration if you fall from a ledge to your death for example.

Comment

For anyone playing the PS2 version, how does the PAL conversion hold up? I really want to pick this up on Friday, but I won't be doing so if all I'm going to be faced with are two huge black borders.

Comment

Should have my copy by friday, heard nothing but good things from people on XBox Live. IF your interested go read the final hours of PoP on gamespot, really good read.

Comment

The link may not work, but worth a try anyway. Which looks best?

Gamecube version looks the nicest to be honest, clean and bright textures.

Comment

GameCube has the best colors, IMO, but Xbox looks best for detail. I think I remember reading (and can just about make out in those shots) that, for example, the prince has individual fingers on Xbox and pretty much one-piece flesh spades on PS2 and Cube.

All of which is irrelevant of course until I figure out why this is an Edge 9/10 game and not just another 3D platformer with all of the problems that 3D platformers inherently have.

Edit: also note hexagonal bracers (around the wrists) on the PS2 and Cube, but nicely round on Xbox.

Comment

I've been singing this game's praises for a while since I played it at ECTS . I think most people are sceptical/unaware of it because it's by Ubisoft, whereas if it were by Sega this thread would probably be 25 pages long by now. Sad, but true.

Anyway, the game itself is fantastic. Granted there isn't an revolutionary ideas here, but what it does do is take several flawed concepts that have failed up until now and work magic with them. Take the abilities of Lara, add in the time feature of Blinx and the fighting of Enter the Matrix. Now imagine that each of these games were programmed by your favourite, most talaented videogame designer and you're not far off.

Add in fantastic level design, jaw dropping graphics, gob smacking set pieces and you're there. It's one of those games where you look at screen shots and think "It's just another 3D platformer, right?". Which is exactly the same as when people looked at screen shots for Halo and thought "It's just another FPS, right?".

Some won't like it, but most of us will enjoy the most fluid, intuative and awe inspiring platformer for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X