NFS: Underground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFS: Underground

Picked up a copy of the latest Need For Speed title earlier, thought I'd share some initial impressions.

Not really delved into the main 'career' mode yet, but I've taken a spin around all the available tracks in all the available cars, and my first impressions aren't so hot. Firstly I'm having trouble actually focusing on where to go, the image quality is very grainy, and I'm finding the motion blur and headlight glare on the road distracting. The framerate is locked at 25/30, but I have encountered some quite noticable frame skipping, especially when cornering. Although SSX3 suffered from this problem, it wasn't really a major issue as the game ran at 60fps most of the time which concealed it, but as the framerate in NFS: U is locked it really becomes obvious (well the the trained eye anyway). Handling wise, it feels pretty much like the previous NFS title. There's a great sense of speed (assisted by the motion blur), even in the basic stock models of car, so god knows what it's going to be like when they're all Kev'd up.

That's all for now...

I bought the Xbox version as well after playing the PS2 mag demo.

I totally agree with the frame rate issue, but so far I am really enjoying this after playing Burnout 2 for what seems like ages.

The draw distance is quite good, but as said can cause a bit of confusion in where the track goes as the background is very busy with lights, neons etc.

Some of my frustrations so far are cheap com cars nudging me of the road, as some races are a knockout type event where the last postion car in each lap gets knocked out. So to have someone push your car when your 1st to end up last and being knocked out is very frustrating ft:
    Oh and those bloody TREES!!!!!!!!!!!!! ft:

Apart for some of my frustrations i am enjoying this alot. Helps if you like fiddeling with your car

Comment

Got an email from GAME saying mines been dispatched and to expect it tomorrow which i have to say is pretty damn quick. To my door on release date is fantastic. and have been reading up on it for the past few days.

From what i have read it seems like the game is all style over substance. Iv paid my money for it so dont get me wrong it looks great but it has been said that the underground mode is a bit monotonous(sp?) with the courses not changing hellish much.

More from me on this tomorrow

Comment

Yeah not noticed much variety in the courses (they tend to use the same bits of road), but then I've not really unlocked any of the later tracks. Done a couple of drifting comps and drag races now, which were very dull. Not looking forward to participing in future races/comps, which is a bummer as you have to do them to progress.

At the moment it looks like this one is going back next week in exchange for PGR2.

Comment

And whats with the lack of a Custom Soundtrack?
          This should be compulsory on any Xbox racing title!

Comment

Originally posted by spinpug666
            Right then, I'm ignoring it. I've seen what American developers think we like to listen to. So there is no way in hell I'd play it. You listening EA amd Akklaim, this is how it goes:

Savage Garden: Yes.
            Slipknot: No.

Comment

Originally posted by Crispin
              Originally posted by spinpug666
              Right then, I'm ignoring it. I've seen what American developers think we like to listen to. So there is no way in hell I'd play it. You listening EA amd Akklaim, this is how it goes:

Its all personal preference but im not the greatest fans of savage garden either even though they finished years ago crispin

EDIT :

Quote from IGN re music...

Sound
              EA Trax strikes back. The publishers growing library of high-profile artists continues to impress. Bands and artists including the likes of Lil' Jon, Rancid, and Crystal Method offer up a huge range of styles from rock to rap. So, while it doesn't exactly try to craft a consistent mood for this "Underground" racing circuit, it does offer everyone something. Also, in usual EA Trax fashion it even has exclusive songs from artists like Petey Pablo written just for the game. Very impressive (even if songs written around game titles is a bit lame).

Meanwhile, sound effects are also very impressive. EA's experts took to the garage and mic'ed up real cars to get the library of effects. There's a lot of crisp metal-on-metal crash sounds, screeching tire effects, and when you Drag race the backfire of your turbo, grinding gears, and NOS sound fantastic. All of this is offered up in surround sound.

You won't be disappointed.

Comment

erm... NO!

Savage garden: no way in heck! >_<

more like:
                Metallica: Yes
                Hendrix: yes
                The White Stripes: Yes
                Minnibosses: Most definetly YES!

phew there crispin, for a moment there, had they been reading, we might have ended up with nothing but SG on all our racing games.

dont go maiing sweeping labellisations, we all have different tastes, hence the benefit of some games having customisable music options.

Though I must admit, slipknot isnt exaclty the best choice for a game.

Comment

Nevermind the music. it's bugger all like a Need for Speed game. They have been slowly getting worse over the years. The series was all about racing country lanes from A to B. I miss that aspect. Bring back Road Rash I say.

Comment

Originally posted by otaku84
                    erm... NO!

Savage garden: no way in heck! >_<

more like:
                    Metallica: Yes
                    Hendrix: yes
                    The White Stripes: Yes
                    Minnibosses: Most definetly YES!

phew there crispin, for a moment there, had they been reading, we might have ended up with nothing but SG on all our racing games.

dont go maiing sweeping labellisations, we all have different tastes, hence the benefit of some games having customisable music options.

Though I must admit, slipknot isnt exaclty the best choice for a game.
                    Oh yeah, that is what I meant, oops, I might have changed the course of the future. Customisable soundtracks should be compulsory. Or make some decent background music (think Halo), but no "songs" if you get what I mean. Big no no on putting savage garden in everything. I just meant have slightly different music genres in games, other than just the genre that Korn is in.

I want custom soundtracks. How else would do they expect me to listen to Pokemon music whilst playing Kameo: Elements of Power? It's the way it's meant to be played TBH!

Comment

Some good points raised, but I dunno.

While I love custom soundtracks in theory, i always think to myself, no CS should really be able to match made for music, since its then desinged to suite that specific situation.

I mean lets take HALO, (even though I dont like it), the music raised and dropped at key moments, now by bunging in Iron Maiden, you wouldnt get the right bursts of sound at the right moment.

or imagine delicate Japanese RPG's, a custom soundtrack would be all wrong.
                      Or classic castelvanias, now they have some great soundtracks, ask anyone who has played DracX.

I feel custom soundtracks are fantastic in SOME games, but others maybe not so much.

I dunno, Im at a crossroads with this, surely you could just play a cd in the background?

tricky one to call, since some game soundtracks are art unto themselves

certainly worthy of its topic of debate.

Comment

No, you're right. I'm a huge fan of game music and I'll take the Burnout 2, Metropolis Street Racer or Sega GT 2002 soundtrack over any licensed trash. Screw EA for making a racer with a gorgeous stylish look to it, then ruining the experience with generic hip hip and rock music. Some kind of euro-dance soundtrack would've been perfect for this game, doesn't EA have any of their own musicians?

Comment

The framerate is locked at 25/30, but I have encountered some quite noticable frame skipping, especially when cornering (......) but as the framerate in NFS: U is locked it really becomes obvious (well the the trained eye anyway).
                          So, this "framerate" thing isn't locked then? That post almost makes it look like you know what you're talking about!

Comment

I think the Burnout 2 soundtrack is inferior to the first games'. One advantage (of many) of Burnout 2 on XBox is the custom soundtrack option.

As you hit a Burnout, the volume of the music gets louder and the bass increases, heightening the tension. It's a great touch that you wouldn't get from a CD playing in the background .

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                              The framerate is locked at 25/30, but I have encountered some quite noticable frame skipping, especially when cornering (......) but as the framerate in NFS: U is locked it really becomes obvious (well the the trained eye anyway).
                              So, this "framerate" thing isn't locked then? That post almost makes it look like you know what you're talking about!
                              As in it doesn't go over 30 brainiac. Maybe I should have said 'capped' so I didn't get smart as comments like yours? geez louise....

Anyway, getting back to the game. Progressed a little further through the Underground mode and I'm just not bonding with the game at all. All the 'attitude' is just plain cheesey and is starting to grate on my nerves.

Comment

Working...
                              X