XIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XIII

Played a demo of this, and I have to say it is a mediocre as they get. It certainly "looks" like a cartoon, but it plays like a bad Quake Mod.

Immediatly the setup in terms of story is intriguing, but then you are forced to learn the controls under duress, once you've battled past that bit you are forced along a certain path which is like from level design in the mid to early 90s, i.e. invisible walls, you can't jump to your death, immediate locked doors, lack of organic exploration.

Its just plain average/poor.

Yeah I played the demo also, and thought it was very mediocre.

Why the invisible walls? Really atrocious if you ask me. The whole thing looks so grainy as well.

The levels are just designed without a single ounce of coherance, its as if they were made using a random level generator.

The comic book style had so much to promise. Shame really.

Comment

Originally posted by JibberX
      Played a demo of this, and I have to say it is a mediocre as they get. It certainly "looks" like a cartoon, but it plays like a bad Quake Mod.
      I think this is a rather overly-dramatic and untrue statement (particularly as you're judging it from a demo rather than the finished game), but I agree that it's not as good as perhaps we've been led to believe. I've played through to the last boss and while the story is very interesting, the game itself is frustrating in places and has horrible 'memory' sections where the only way through is to memorize where enemies are going to be and then play through the stage repeatedly until you can get them all before they get you. Oh, and the multiplayer is pretty bad.

Still, it's better than some FPS titles out today.

Comment

Play.com have this in stock now if anybodys wants it

Comment

Saw this on Gamepad yesterday. Violet Berlin was gushing on about how amazing it played, and how brilliant the storyline was. She couldn't say enough about the revolutionary this, or the brilliantly dynamic that. While watching, I was wondering if they had somehow got the video footage mixed up with something else. It looks totally average, and the combat I saw was terrible. Big deal if it's cell-shaded, meh. No thanks.

Comment

Playing it now. Like Halo never happened. Really crap AI and the whole thing is really crude gameplay wise. Multiplayer on LIVE is really arcadey no skill, just belt around, wait by the weapon spawn, kill, rinse repeat.

Comment

Played this a bit on my Cube over the weekend. Quite enjoying it. Initially I was far from impressed but as I have progressed its charm and character is starting to win me over.

The onomatopoeia is fun and some of the conversations between enemies are great (two guards questioning the brutal tactics they have been forced to employ by their "bastard" commander is overheard just before you have to bust in on them and cap them in the head).

I still feel like I am playing it more on its terms than mine but with a lack of quality FPS on the GC this will have to do.

Comment

I actually really enjoyed this

The ending's a bit of a cop out though....

Comment

Tap Tap Tap - Arrrgggh!

*Silences PeterUK by hitting him over the head with a chair*

Comment

I'm playing the pc version myself and I must say that the sight is horribly off-putting. It's just that expanded reticle when you target an enemy. It makes me think I'm playing cs so I stand still to get it to shrink, thinking that my accuracy will be awful, only to be hit by a couple enemy rounds.

It's pretty average fun, really. Bapping people round the head with shovels and ashtrays is good fun, but this is kind of what I'd imagine goldeneye to be like if that was converted to the pc today. Badly. Pretty standard stuff.

Comment

Been playing this solidly for the last couple of days on the Gamecube.So much so that 1080 has had a cursory play and then filed to be played with when I am finished with XIII.

At first,I found the game unforgiving,and too linear,but once the snow levels are reached,and you are steathily creaping around the enemy base,picking off guards,it just seemed so much better.

It cannot be compared to Halo,but for the shear exhiliration of throwing grenades round corners to finish off a guard,when your health is critical,is sublime.

I haven't played the multiplayer aspect yet,but may give it a go over the weekend.

Comment

has anyone got a link to a demo please?

Comment

Originally posted by dr_manhattan
                          has anyone got a link to a demo please?

Comment

ta chief

Comment

I can't understand why this game is getting such a slating. I think it's great. The way the story unfolds is good as are the comic touches (obviously).

What I like is the way you play flashback sequences and remember psychic abilities as the game progresses. A nicce touch, I thought.

A special mention must also go to the music which I thought was great.

Oh, and whoever said the game played like a bad Quake mod either hasn't played Quake or is clearly smoking crack.

As usual, all it takes is a few less than complimentary comments in Edge, and everyone comes down on a game like a ton of bricks. Its like Mario Sunshine all over again.

Comment

Working...
                              X