Worms 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worms 3D

Still a great laugh, but is this a step in the wrong dimension?

Yep its the same old wormy goodness, but in 3D. I played this over the weekend and to be honest it was a lot of fun duking it out with my mates. The shift to 3D has made the game a little inaccessible in my opinion. The extra dimension adds just a little too much complexity, whilst at the same time nulifies a lot of the truly deviant tactics which made the original so much fun.

The game also seems to sport some rather annoying "features" such as no autosave, no obvious way to reverse the look on the thumbstick and perhaps most annoyingly, no support for multiple pads.

Still a good game if not a great one...

I've only played the PC version and I pretty much agree with you except I'd say its not even a good game. The key to the 2D worms was that they were simple pick up and play games but now they've added incredibly fiddly controls to compensate for the 3Dness even on a PC keyboard/mouse combo. The controls just aren't very intuitive and there's to many buttons. Theres a set of controls for moving, another set for aiming, and a third set for controlling the camera. Its very hard to aim the bazooka because the wind is impossible to gauge so I found that most battles ended up as massive hikes across the terrain in order to get an instant kill with a baseball bat or something similar. The blimp view is stubborn and tricky to use, sometimes fixing itself at a useless angle. Reading what you said I find it crazy that you all have to use the same pad. Still, the single player levels are fairly decent and a lot more imaginative then the previous worm games and the voices are great as usual. I'd have much preferred a new 2D version and its annoying that developers think that the only way to keep people interested is to make their games 3D.

Comment

It is a fun game, but I'd argue that any game that allows 4 friends to play at the same time would be fun, whatever the quality.

Worms3D is average, and though the extra dimention is the cause of most of the problems, I see no real reason why the game couldn't work in 3D. A shame, but that's the way it is.

Comment

/agree

I (in an angry frame of mind) posted on the team17 official forums lamenting the (imho) death of worms as a viable franchise, maintaining that finally forcing the game into a third dimension had totally ruined it.

I suggest none of you do the same, i voiced pretty much all of your concerns in my own wording, and got, for my troubles, all of the little T17 fanboys telling me I was thick 'cos i didnt undertsand the controls.

To top it all off I even got into a slanging match with one of the T17 employees.

Regardless, they have ruined the game, for sure.

Comment

Gotta link?

Comment

Erm, I was going to say early that it seems they started with good intent, but the game kinda boiled down into a turnbased fps/3rd person with bad controls and camera, the 3d realm isn't for this kind of game.....they should've Viewtiful Joe'd it, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by JibberX
              they should've Viewtiful Joe'd it, or something.
              Exactly what I was thinking as I played the demo. It's a nice idea, a fully-3d worms, but I can't see it working very well to be honest. If they'd stuck with the side-on view, and used all the hardware power at their disposal they could have made a beautiful-looking game that played as well as its forebears. Unfortunately it seems Team17 have gone downhill since their years of god-like status on the Amiga

Comment

I am just a mear mortal and I liked it, the camera was slightly annoying but I wouldn't say it was the 'Death of Worms' just becase it has gone 3D... oh the doom the gloom

I have to say of all the licences that have tried to go 3D and failed miserably, Worms 3D is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                  Gotta link?
                  Aye Pete, goto T17 Forums and look for "A differing opinion on Worms3D"

sit back and enjoy the flame wars.

The highlight being me telling a T17 guy that, despite him telling me his opinions are his own, the T17 Staff message above his avatar negates any personal opinion that he might have, and instead, reflects badly on the entire company.

Quite amusing actually....

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace
                    I've only played the PC version and I pretty much agree with you except I'd say its not even a good game. The key to the 2D worms was that they were simple pick up and play games but now they've added incredibly fiddly controls to compensate for the 3Dness even on a PC keyboard/mouse combo. The controls just aren't very intuitive and there's to many buttons.
                    Interesting. For my money the controls on the XBox were a little too simplistic. One button for jump, one to bring up the weapons, one to fire, one to change fuse length, one stick for camera, one for movement and a trigger each to activate the blimp view and first person view. Pretty straight forward.

I echo the point about the wind being difficult to judge, but you can sort of get the hang of it after a while. The biggest problem with the XBox version was the ninja rope, which is very difficult to control, with the analogue triggers used to extend and retract the rope.

The failure for me (Someone who has spent the best part of a year playing worms and worms 2) is the lack of control. A lot of the advanced tactics in the originals required you to operate 2 items in a single go, rapidly switching between them with the keyboard shortcuts. As far as I could make out there is no way of binding an item to a button on the XBox pad. I want to drop mines from a parachute, or ninja rope vertically upwards, drop a girder in mid air and land ontop of it.

Still after some more extended play I'm sure that a whole load of new deviance will be found. Until then I suggest turning off baseball bat and jetpack as starting weapons and leave them as crate upgrades. It will almost certainly make for a more tactical game.

It's good to see that you can make a hole in the ground with the shotgun and hide completely from view. Now that is class.

Comment

Got the 'cube version, and once you disregard most of your 2d bias, the 3d environment works quite well, the same vibe but different. Within the 3d levels you feel alot more immersed. The 2d incarnations were a little random as to where you would end up on a trek across the landscape, but in this one you seem to have a lot more control and awareness as to where you are.

There are a few nice touches, obvious, but helpful ones, like when you set a range/angle that angle is kept for the next round. The radar is vital and the blimp view is useful. I do get the feeling that those without good spacial awareness might come a cropper fairly easilily, 10 years of 3d camera and training helps, but to a n00b?

Anyways I am gonna give it a go multiplayer later on.

Comment

Working...
                      X