R: Racing Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R: Racing Evolution

I have picked up the Xbox version of this and have some very brief snapshot impressions I thought Id share with you.

Namco's Ridge Racer front ends are usually excellent, and this is no exception. Hard hitting vocal garage music compliments a nice intro sequence showing the cars racing around the tracks, and as you would expect, the female beauties are an ever present here much like before what with it being a Ridge Racer game and everything. The front end is rather basic, but again looks appealing and is perfectly functional.

Within the career mode you play the role of a young female ambulance driver, whom after impressing with her high speed driving skills gets the chance to train to become a world class motor sport racer. The beginning details your progress and a short cinematic gives a visual representation of how your career is moving, basic driving tests to start off before moving into the higher ranks.

The first time I played this my initial impression was great, the control seems very tight, the graphics have the "roughness" than I?ve come to expect with a Ridge Racer game, for example this looks a world apart from the likes of PGR2 in terms of its graphical smoothness, the edges here are at times rough and almost PS2 looking, yet they still manage to impress, perhaps its a charm I?ve grown to accept and ultimately love. Car detail is good, although for me anyways the outside view is used once perhaps to look at your car before quickly switching to inside view again. The ride height seems about right; it frustrates me when race games place you too low to the road. The sensation of speed is also good whilst the game moves along very smoothly, I?ve yet to see any slowdown although of course it?s very early days yet.

Then the realization hits me that this seems a world apart from previous Ridge games, it appears a lot more serious, and seems to want some of the limelight monopolized by the likes of the GT series. Cars based on real life may take a little getting used to, and for me the overall change of direction so far has mixed feelings for me. That said, in its own right, which I hope is how the game will be judged, it appears to be a solid racer and for me has not disappointed so far.

Ill post more impressions as I go along, the above is as I say very early thoughts, and so please don?t quote me if I go through a massive about-turn in my opinions later on in the day

I made a few videos for you to check out, the first is of the R Racing Evolution Intro sequence:

R: Racing Evolution Intro 10 Meg

And also one of the first tracks being played in Arcade mode, please dont marvel at the driving, its just for demonstrative purposes:

R: Racing Evolution In-Game 12 Meg

What's the music like.

Cheesy Euro Techno like the classic Ridge 1 and 2 soundtracks I hope.

New Rare Hero mix by any chance?

Comment

Is there potential for a Time Trial challenge to be set up?

Is there a ghost on the TT mode?!

Comment

sounds good,
        i should have the gamecube version by monday

are there any made up cars at all though?

Comment

Intro sequence uploaded, am currently converting the in-game one. C' the music appears to be much like before although perhaps not so "hard". Ive just played on a Rally mode which in all honesty I wasnt overly keen on, again it all comes back to this not being fantasy-based Ridge Im so used to, Im looking for something to set this apart from the multitiude of other realistic racers out there.

Comment

video on the way indeed... you tease

The ride height seems about right; it frustrates me when race games place you too low to the road. The sensation of speed is also good whilst the game moves along very smoothly, I?ve yet to see any slowdown although of course it?s very early days yet.
            That's awesome - another Ridge game hits the spot. Only a few racing games get this right and the Ridge serious is included in that lot. Also spot on, in the Ridge games, is how the internal viewpoint is "right" when compared to the other cars you're racing.

More impressions please And, I take it Pacman didn't sway you to purchase teh 'cube version?

Comment

I always tend to go for Xbox versions when faced with multi-platform releases, so I wasnt swayed at all by the Gamecube one The next video wont be ready for about an hour at least, but I will upload it tonight. I agree on the ride height thing, to me thats a very important factor.

Comment

tell us more about the tracks and especial the monaco one

Comment

Sounds promising Marcus, thanks for the quick impressions.

The intro must be one of the best in motion graphic design I?ve seen. Thanks Marcus.

I?ve getting the right version from Y-A ? which?s the PS2 one.

Comment

Ive added a second video showing the game being played together with the lovely looking replay.

Comment

My GC version came today, along woth Prince of Persia and PGR2, but i've only just finished work so i've not had the chance to play it yet. Can't wait to try out Pac-Man tomorrow too

Comment

Is it anything like ridge racer type 4? If so I am not going to buy it. If it is like any of the previous ridge's (haven't played 5) I will buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
                          Ive added a second video showing the game being played together with the lovely looking replay.
                          Daytona 500! This is the kind of track I usually race the least in games.

Great stuff however and thanks for the vids.

Comment

I have to say there is one stretch on a track which is simply beautiful - remember the insanely amazing part in GT3 where you drove down that road with the sun shining through the trees? Its the same here, except even more beautiful, I adore that sunlight effect, its just as striking a videogame effect Ive seen in gaming since Yoshimitsu's blurry blade swich in Tekken Tag, or more recently the amazing reverse time sequences in POP. I love eye candy, and so this is right up my street! I remember when I first saw lens flare in a videogame, but to realistically represent sunlight in this way is something else. Ill stop gushing now, perhaps maybe Ill even capture you guys some :P

Comment

Moment?s? one reason for playing games, remembering the hovering chopper in Revolution or the waterfall in Rage Racer. The pumping beat in RR4 and the sea birds in Out of the Blue. The RR series have always that extra.

Comment

Working...
                              X