Mission Impossible: Operation Surma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mission Impossible: Operation Surma

After reading a couple of positive reviews of the new Mission Impossible on Xbox I decided to investigate it further. After reading a few previews and viewing countless screenshots and movies I decided I should check it out first hand. Picked up a copy this afternoon and after an hour or so of play I have to say I'm pleasently surprised. It seems like this one has come out of nowhere.

I've never played any of the previous MI games so I can't really make any comparisons.

It's no secret that this game looks like a rip off Ubi Soft's Splinter Cell. Yup, I'd second that, but MI brings a few ideas of it's own to the table to add a new spin on things. I won't devuldge too much info as I don't want to spoil anything. As Splinter Cell was deep rooted in reality (well for the most part) it couldn't go too over-the-top with the gadgets. This is where MI really shines. The first level is there to introduce you to the controls and the various gadgets you have at your disposal. Ethan has a wider variety of moves than the afore mentioned Fisher too.

Sneaking around is pretty much the same as SC. You have to hide in the shadows, watching the patrol routes, shooting cameras out and what not, but judging from the first level there's a bit more head-on confrontations too. One thing I haven't done yet is shoot some lightbulbs out, but I'm pretty sure I saw

The graphics are excellent. Great lighting, detailed textures, nice environments - no complaints here. The cut scenes are very well done, especially the opening movie. Definitely one up on Splinter Cell there. The voice acting is also of high standard. All round I'm just very impressed.

Anyone else thinking of picking up a copy in the near future?

The Mission: Impossible name is like videogame leprosy to me, but I'm thinking about picking this one up, yes. Completely at random I decided to watch a gameplay movie of this over at gametrailers.com a month or so back and that piqued my interest. I'll admit though that with the number of cool XB games coming out during this season, MI is on the back burner. But at least it's on the stove.

Also, it's Paradigm, isn't it? I keep hoping they'll do something brilliant again, so that adds to my anticipation. I hope it's got more variation than Splinter Cell in terms of environments and gameplay, and that it's not so, um, up itself as Splinter Cell. I far preferred Hitman 2, for example. Wildly better variation and increased freedom, in my opinion, but I know SC was well liked.

But...

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
    One thing I haven't done yet is shoot some lightbulbs out, but I'm pretty sure I saw
    What?! WHAT DID YOU SEE?!! Something you shouldn't have? Did the cigarette smoking man stop you mid-sentence before you could divulge this shattering news to a sheltered public? Christ, WHAT DID YOU SEE?!

Comment

Yup it's Paradigm. I'm part way through the second mission at the moment and already I'm seeing a helluva lot more diversity in the environments and gameplay than Splinter Cell. I just hope there's enough missions to carry nicely to the end. This is really turning out to be one of the biggest surprises of the year for me.

What?! WHAT DID YOU SEE?!! Something you shouldn't have? Did the cigarette smoking man stop you mid-sentence before you could divulge this shattering news to a sheltered public? Christ, WHAT DID YOU SEE?!
      Sorry, had to make haste to the shadows...the guards were coming! What I was going to say was that I saw some lightbulb shooting action in a couple of movies I snagged from IGN. Nothing that exciting...

Comment

Oooh, very convincing Mr.Topic starter :P I saw this under new releases at Game on Friday, but decided against being unpleasantly surprised, though I was tempted.

Might pick this one up. As well as LOTR3, Max Payne 2, H&D 2, XIII... damn Christmas release dates :P

Can't wait for Alias, either which seems similar - I'm a huge fan of the show and it's being penned and scored by the pros from LA, so... well, let's hope the pros in Cheltenham don't let their end down. (www.aliasthegame.com)

Comment

Sorry to phoenix down this topic, but I just wanted to tell ya, this is a great game...one of the best I've played all year....and while Splinter Cell is great, Mission Impossible is greater.
          The focus on different gameplays, like shooting, skidiving, stealth, just kicks ass...and it's all extremely well done.
          The music and graphics, and voice acting are great.
          The last level, is sick....I was just stunned, like when I saw the outside cenarios of ICO.
          I say BUY IT

Comment

Working...
          X