Gregory Horror Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gregory Horror Show

Got this on Friday, bit didn't see it on the shelves anywhere. My GAME store said they only got two copies, so I grabbed the last one, and I have to say this game is just brilliant fun.

This game along with Wario Ware, M&L Superstar and Viewtiful Joe have reignited my fire for gaming.

This game comes highy recommended, and at ?20 it is awesome value.

Anyone else got any opinions on it?

Probably not essential to this game, but does it have a 60hz option?

Comment

^^^

Yeah you have the option at the beginning for 50 or 60 hz

Comment

Yep, just been playing this, and it's brilliant. After getting fed up with the same old stuff, it's a nice refreshing change. Initial impressions were of a mix of Resident Evil (with the option of directional control), and the bombers notebook of Majoras Mask. And it works so well, full of lovely touches. Best game I've played for a while.

Comment

I've only played a small amount, but I don't think this is great (yet). Enjoyable, with a superb style, but not excellent.

Need to play more though.

Comment

It's great, but actually really hard - once you get most of the souls on the second night, you really have to start planning your movements carefully so that you don't get caught by anyone you've already nicked one off.

Originally posted by jayboy
            Didn't see it on the shelves anywhere. My GAME store said they only got two copies
            I got it in GAME as well - I had to ask for it at the counter, as it wasn't on the shelf (turned out it was downstairs in the storeroom). Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Hello, I'd like to get a copy of Gregory Horror Show please.
            GAME Bloke: What?
            Me: Gregory Horror Show - it's out today.
            GAME Bloke (to manager): Is it?
            GAME Manager: I think so... it's probably downstairs.
            Me: Oh, good. I really want it.
            GAME Bloke and Manager (pretty much in unison): Why?
            Me: Err... because it's really good fun?
            GAME Manager: But it looks rubbish - no-one's going to buy it.
            Me: That's probably because you don't have it on the shelf.
            GAME Bloke: No, I don't think that's it...

Bloody philistines. Bah.

Comment

And you gave them your Money?

Comment

hopefully, you burned the shop to the ground on your way out.

GHS is teh |20xX0|2!!!11!!11one!!!1

Comment

Originally posted by JibberX
                  And you gave them your Money?
                  I know, I know... but the chances of getting a copy for nowt are incredibly slim, not because Capcom are stingy but thanks to various new work 'practices' that prevent us blagging anything. Although from what I can tell, that appears to have been limited to just... er, me. ****.

Comment

I had to ask for my copy at Game also, and none of them had heard of it. They tried to fob me off by saying it had been delayed when I knew otherwise, eventually they decided to look out the back just to keep me happy...and found a copy out there.

It's going to be the next Guitaroo Man, selling purely on word of mouth from forums such as these.

Comment

i picked gregory up from HMV (who had absolutely loads in - i really didn't fancy trying to elbow my way through the crowds of zit-monsters and abrasive shrieking mothers to find someone to ask in game, but i didn't see it on the shelves. bah.), and i'm loving it so far. only up to the third soul on the second night (actually, dammit, make that the second... i was too busy peeping through keyholes and got horror showed to death by mummy papa), but it's already pretty frantic at times. i loved the routine-based subquests in majora's mask, and this is kinda the same thing, but expanded to fill a game.

plus, the art style - *swoon*. i'm almost tempted to hunt down a DVD or two of the show (which has apparently run for four series in japan) just for the pretty pictures. oh, and a big happy noise for games that let you choose a male or female character - i know it's kinda shallow of me to care, but it's nice not to be forced to inhabit the body of a BIG TOUGH MAN WITH AN AXE for once, especially in such a refreshingly combat-free game...

Comment

Got mine last Thursday and was only ?14 on my Game staff discount

Quality game, although I had the same experience as all you guys who bought from game. I was asked "Why am I buying it, it looks ****" and was told "God you only buy obscure **** like Rez and Ico". This was the manager!

All 4 of our copies are sold out though. And they said one copy wouldn't sell.

Good lads in Game but they know **** all about a good game TBH.

Comment

My experience of picking it up was a mixed blessing actually. I went into GAME, only to find they didn't have any copies on the shelf. The guy serving me originally looked for a CD and manual in a one of those cardboard cases, but ended up having to go to the store room and pick a shrink-wrapped copy instead. Which I'm kind of glad happened.

Having said that, I was being given funny looks from the staff just because I asked for a game which didn't have an automatically familar name. It's strange how they try and make you feel guilty or wrong when simply asking for a different and slightly less mainstream title. Still the experience made me realise one thing: any sustained form of originality or innovation will die before long if it's delibrately hidden or held back from people.

It's a very bizarre attitude for a company like GAME to take... Almost as if they don't want a game like Gregory Horror Show to succeed. I can understand their reasons. Yes, they don't want any floorspace being given to a title they know won't sell at the busiest time of year. Yet that happens with dozen upon dozen of budget games already anyway. The current attitude of the UK's largest retailer with regards to this issue is only going to end up hurting the industry eventually by helping grow more consumer apathy. At least in my view.

Personally, I'm up to the third soul after playing it for around a couple of hours last night. Cracking stuff so far.

Comment

I totally agree with zathras' "Resident Evil meets Majora's Mask " comment. I'm about four hours into this game and really enjoying it for being something different to everything else that's out there. I'm finding the 'puzzles' just the right side of obscure and even when I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing I just love wandering the hotel, trying to catch the others unawares (which, I suppose, is what I'm supposed to be doing )

Perhaps this will be a game to win over some of the 'Gaming today is so lacking in innovation and boring and I remember the good old days...blah, blah, blah' crowd?

Comment

Is anybody here playing the Japanese release, and if so how large a barrier is the language?

Comment

Working...
                              X