Best console line-up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best console line-up!

What console was you guys most exicited about being released or what do you consider the greatest line up.
    For me it had to be the Dreamcast. It brings back memories of me playing HOTD2 in the arcades with my mates, and reading the previews in Total Control. I remember reading gamesmaster mag about the released of the console with Virtua Fighter 3TB and thinkin how lush the "true" 3D graphics were.
    The console came to the pal regions (with a humble launch) and i believed "ready to rumble" might do what wipeout did for the psx.
    It launched with the fantastic powerstone, sonic adventure and one of my personal faves Bluestinger( yes i know many people think its ****e but..) and the greatest launch games ever. Followed by a great mag and no online support for the first month.
    Anyway i have rambled on enough anyone else got a fave?

I guess I was most excited about the N64 though if I knew then that most of the games I was looking forward to were going to be delayed for ages I probably wouldn't have been as excited. But you still had a 3d Mario!!! and a fantastic looking star wars game!! And an ultra gory (for me anyway) FPS with dinosaurs!! And a gorgeous looking water racing game!! With a fully 3d mario kart, star fox, and zelda all just months from release.........who could resist?

Comment

I suppose it'd have to be the SNES for me. Granted I was 6 (I think) when it launched, but the promise of a new Mario game, and with dinosaurs! This was before I even knew what Zelda and Metroid were.

Such a shame it took me 6 years to actually get one...

Comment

I was most excited about the N64 - i remember buying games magazines a plenty before its release in anticipation for it.

Prob still is my best console ever, pure fun games all the way!

Comment

Looking back on the day releases of most Japanese consoles, you would probably have to say that the Super Famicom had the best releases on the day, Super Mario World and F-Zero were probably going to shift consoles like no other game would on any other console....

Ridge Racer was the only other game that probably sold consoles on the strength of the game.

Comment

I think if you look at the first twelve months of the SNES after the US launch there really hasn't been a better launch year for any console since. The number of original titles, amazing updates and spot on coin op conversions was just mind blowing and there were too many games to buy as a 12 year old with little money.

After the initial slow start from the Japanese launch which was sidestepped by the twelve month delay the USA period from September 91-September 92 was graced with...

Mario World
            Pilotwings
            F-Zero
            Smash TV
            Super Tennis
            Contra III
            Actraiser
            Legend of the Mystical Ninja
            Super Ghouls and Ghosts
            NCAA Basketball
            UN Squadron
            Castlevania IV
            Streetfighter 2
            Super Mario Kart
            Final Fantasy 2
            Zelda:Link to the Past.

I devoured Mean Machines and C&VG every month as it was really the best source for import news at the time and there was always a new AAA game every month to drool over and new screenshots of forthcoming games. The SNES at the time just seemed to blow everything out of the water and I saved up the entire year so I could purchase one.

I've never been as excited about a console since the months in the run up to buying one in California in the summer of 92.

I don't think ANY console can beat the year the SNES had from 91-92.

Comment

Definitely the SFC/SNES. The only lineup that really captured my interest (although I was an exciteable 10-11 yeard-old at the time).

Comment

Another vote fro the SNES I was a sega fanboy at the time but I was blown away by the quality screen pics I was seeing. I got one at launch and never looked back. Best console ever!

Comment

Originally posted by gamelife
                  I was most excited about the N64 - i remember buying games magazines a plenty before its release in anticipation for it.

Prob still is my best console ever, pure fun games all the way!
                  yup I totally agree with you, the N64 is for me still the "best" console

on release Mario64, Pilotwings64 and short after WaveRace64....

Comment

Originally posted by Valiant
                    I don't think ANY console can beat the year the SNES had from 91-92.
                    Too true. The SNES was the best for quality AND quantity that year.

Comment

Did the n64 launch with Goldeneye in the USA? I can't remember, but i was so excited about this puppy, i got Mario 64 and Goldeneye.....talk about a double whammy, two of the greatest games together for my delight.

Comment

Nope it didn't it launched with Mario though. My pick with the PSone with its loads and loads of RPGs and Tekken 3. N64 would be my second pick for Goldeneye and Mario Kart.

Comment

Probably the Super Famicom. My anticipation of getting hold of this was whipped up by Mean Machines showcasing F-Zero, Super Mario World, Gradius 3, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Actraiser etc etc

I paid 320 quid for my first Super Famicom, ouch!

Also have fond memories of the the Megadrive which I also imported and bought with weeks upon weeks of saved up paper round money. Thunderforce II... Super Shinobi... Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion great days.

Comment

Originally posted by M?bius_One
                            Probably the Super Famicom. My anticipation of getting hold of this was whipped up by Mean Machines showcasing F-Zero, Super Mario World, Gradius 3, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Actraiser etc etc

I paid 320 quid for my first Super Famicom, ouch!

Also have fond memories of the the Megadrive which I also imported and bought with weeks upon weeks of saved up paper round money. Thunderforce II... Super Shinobi... Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion great days.
                            Pfff... You was lucky mate!
                            I paid ?410 for my Jap Super Famicom with Actraisers and Super Mario World when it first came out! But you know what, it's the best ever console for it's time ever.

No other console has ever got me as excited by this machine.

Definitely gone are the days of being stung in the pocket for having the latest bit of kit from Japan to gloat at people with inferior machines!!!

Comment

8) Its got to be the import SuperNintendo. I convinced my parents to buy me a Megadrive in the summer of 91 and thought Sonic was the greatest game ever. I really didn`t think much about the Snes until the magazines started doing articles on it. All the importers began pushing it big time and reduced the price. I then visited my local import guy and when I clapped eyes on the machine and its games, I felt like I had been sucked into a future utopia. F-Zero was absolutely mind-blowing, the graphics and music really entranced my imagination. CastleVania4 literally had me shaking with joy. Pilotwings was so bloody original and playable. SupeMarioWorld was without a doubt the greatest most enticing experience ever made. And finally Actraiser, from the starting orchestrated music too the astonishing graphics, full of action and imagination, this game convinced me that I was indeed in gaming heaven.

Obviously I snapped-up the U.S Snes( imo, it is the most desirable machine) with an RGB 21" Sony TV. I then enveloped myself in a gaming paradise all through Xmas and into the new year. This was better than having my own arcade, it was better because these games beat any arcade experience, they were without doubt the greatest games I had ever played.

For me these two changed my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X