Astro Boy: Tetsuwan Atom (GBA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astro Boy: Tetsuwan Atom (GBA)

Been playing a lot of this beautiful title on my GBA SP.

Its pure old school 2D gaming goodness with stunning visuals:, it feels so uber-Japanese and anime-like-- totally soaked in rich manga environment. Most of the text is in Japanese but its a doddle to get the game going; you first start off with a very very small training sequence that lets you get accustomed to Astro Boy's different attacks ( L = mini gun that appears from the rear and proceeds to swivel 360 degrees, firing rounds in every direction, R = a huge laser that fires out of a Astro's shoulder, up+B = less powerful laser from the index finger, down+B = kick, B = punches (press repeatedly for PPK combo), A = jump, AA = jump then gain further height with booster jets). Once you've gotten through that, you're into the game proper.

Most stages are one big brawl going from left to right, in a huge fight with all manner of qute and quirky enemies. You rack up huge combos by beating the living daylights out of them using all the moves available to you. This is one of the game's most successful features; not only is it satisfying to knock the living daylights out of everything on-screen but its cool to watch enemies go flying into one another like skittles and bouncing off the edges of the screen.

Occasionally the game shifts into horizontally scrolling shoot em up mode. Since you're given a life-bar, its not as difficult as a true shmup but coming from veterans Treasure there are some tricky bullet patterns to negotiate. These sections are more than simply token extras, they feel in key with the rest of the game and are aguably as difficult as the other parts.

Boss encounters are straight out of an anime; the dimunitive Astro Boy frantically dashes about the screen avoiding huge blasts from armoured trains, screen-hogging mechs etc.

Treasure have done it again. This time there are no gimmicks or catches, this is plain old 2D action. It looks like a comic book and plays like a dream,

I'm wondering how much appeal it has in the long term. It didn't take long for me to tear through the storyline on my first play through although I'm working on finding all the characters now. I do feel as if I'm losing out on much of the game's charm by not being experienced on the subject of Astro Boy and not being able to understand the text, of which there is a plentiful supply - there are over 200 cut scenes to see. Characters are bold and colourful though, springing out the GBA screen with as much vivacity as they were designed with.

The game is mechanical bliss, reminding me strongly of Viewtiful Joe, which is praise indeed. The tight and varied nature of the fighting added to it's 'wave' orientated spawning of enemies makes Astro Boy resemble a miniature VJ of sorts. The shooting sections, as mentioned, are wonderfully written as well, with thoughtful enemy and shot placement.

However I'm starting to feel that the game just doesn't place you in enough original situations to stay fresh. With VJ and other Treasure Games such as Bangaioh, a whole multitude of combinations and situations are thrown at you to apply your resources against, but the limitations of the GBA's power and screen size seem to restric the game to having few variations in level design and enemy patters. The score attack wil keep you coming back to improve your technique to some extent but I'm wondering if enough scope is avaliable to make this an enticing prospect. That being said, I'm not a big player of VJ. Though I greatly respect the title, the game doesn't continually appeal to me, so I guess it would be harsh to expect AB to do so as well.

A fine, fine title which masterfully replicates the blend of fighting and platforming that has become so fashionable for the 2D design of games. A whole load of fun.

Comment

This gets a review in this months edge.

I'm certainly intrigued and might certainly pick it up.

Did this get reviewed here?

Comment

It's going through the editing process at the moment, should be online sometime during the week.

Comment

I found it to be button mashily average (nice Tezuka fan service though).

Comment

what even in hard mode?

by the way, does anyone know what edge gave it, out of curiousity?

Comment

Edge gave it an 8

Comment

I got this on order from Lik-Sang and I can't wait to play it. Kinda reminds of Gunstar Heroes for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie angel
                  Edge gave it an 8
                  Well, they're gone crazy
                  Sure it's a nice game and all, but not enough polished.
                  First of all, you can't create an action game and fill the screen as much as to make it slowing down every saken minute: action means fast, doesn't mean "bullet time sickness".
                  Second, there's too much variety . The game suddenly cuts to an on-foot stage to a shoot'em up stage and then again turns to another stage where you're floating mid-air, asking you to get used to a slightly different set of commands everytime.
                  Hey, I'm not stating this game is bad (I've thrown every other title out of the window, to play it) I'm just failing to grasp why IN A TREASURE WORK there are two unacceptable flaws as these....

Comment

I'm enjoying this quite a bit at the moment, but I have one question - does it get any harder?

I'm on Stage 5-1 and it seems incredibly easy at the moment.

Comment

Are you playing on normal or hard Bleeders?

Comment

I didn't change the difficulty, so I would assume I'm playing through on the Normal mode.

Probably explains why.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders
                          I'm enjoying this quite a bit at the moment, but I have one question - does it get any harder?

I'm on Stage 5-1 and it seems incredibly easy at the moment.
                          it is quite easy throught the game but the level 7-4 boss is a nightmare

it seems to go from easy right to nails, all his/her attacks do amazing amounts of damage

love the game nevertheless - top stuff on my game boy

Comment

Astro Boy (GBA)

Just wondering if any else is playing this excellent sega/treasure game as well and enjoying it as much as I am. ^_^
                            Playing it on Hard reminds me of across between Gunstar Heroes and VJoe the way you have to work out the bosses and sections utilising all your rmoves/comboes etc.Very suprised it hasn't recieved much attention...

Comment

Just thought I'd add that I don't think the games worth playing on normal and easy as you get a ridiclous amount of supers,bosses don't go through all their attack patterns, and you take more damge give more out etc. I started playing it on normal realised this and switched to hard which imo is a very satisfying experience, in Hard you get a max of three supers and thats it.
                              In regards to the slowdown hasn't anyone found that it can be used tactically on certain sestions

(cheers to the mod that moved my post, didn't realise there was a thread bout this game)

Comment

Working...
                              X