GTA: Double Pack (Xbox)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTA: Double Pack (Xbox)

Got this shiny little (well, kinda big) bugger back yesterday, which is now being sold nationwide thanks to GAME breaking the release date (so we can too!) - and it's pretty decent.

It's virtually the same as the NTSC version, looks slightly better, accelerate and brake on the triggers, and custom soundtrack make this a better choice over the PS2 version.

Seems that a few niggles have been ironed out too.

I never really got round to playing the games because they were out on the PS2 - and it seems a bit of a let down, doesn't seem like GTA is that good a game everyone touted it to be. Don't know if that's just me though.

So far, fairly good, but nothing groundbreaking.

I finished GTA3, and found it to be an incredibly fun game. I loved the wide open nature of it, with each mission accomplishable (is that even a word?) by all sorts of methods. I'm now playing on Vice City, and overall it is a much better game, though I have to say I don't care for the location of Vice City as much as I did Liberty City. I think Liberty had more character, but that's just me. But, I do really dig on the 80's theme, so that's a plus, and the voice acting has been great. Ray Liota is superb.

All in all, I like it, and I can see why so many harp on it nonstop.

Comment

I agree. Atmospherically and architecturally, GTA III is by far the superior title. Yet Vice City's expansive list of options and gameplay possibilities, help it to stand out as well.

That was perhaps a wise move by Rockstar to include both games in a single pack, because they each offer something the other doesn't.

I'm tempted to pick up the Xbox version simply for the inclusion of a customisable soundtrack option.

Comment

Well, considering that you get the best versions of the game ever made, both together for $50, and you just can't beat that with a Louisville Slugger.

Comment

I got mine christmas eve on pal as well just got to get rid of the inlaws so i can play it

Comment

I enjoyed VC a lot more than GTA3... preferred the missions, the vehicles, the locations, the dialogue, yadda yadda yadda.

Played the XB version a wee bit last night and can't say it looks any better than the PS2 version. Pop-up seems to be the same, as do the textures, frame rate etc. Maybe it's slightly higher res? I can't tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
              I enjoyed VC a lot more than GTA3... preferred the missions, the vehicles, the locations, the dialogue, yadda yadda yadda.

Played the XB version a wee bit last night and can't say it looks any better than the PS2 version. Pop-up seems to be the same, as do the textures, frame rate etc. Maybe it's slightly higher res? I can't tell.
              Since I never played the original, I couldn't say. But, IGN did a side by side comparison, and I have to say it was a bit striking. Still, that could be IGN mucking it up as well. I've read though that the texture rezes have been increased, and the characters and vehicles all have more polys.

Comment

I saw that IGN article as well so was expecting some advances in the game. Maybe it's cos I'd had a few drinks yesterday (it was Xmas Day after all), but I really couldn't see anything that stood out as being an improvement. And I did play the PS2 version a *hell* of a lot.

Comment

I think it looks exactly the same as the PS2 version.

I think it's just as **** too...

Comment

I got its Xmas eve, I thought about starting this topic but I know a lot of gamers on here look down at it? so I didn?t bother.

Played VC for about 3 hours just to see if I had ?The Peds Glitch? seemed good but a lot of frameskip going on. As for GTA3 I?ve been playing that loads almost all day yesterday.

I played the PC version and got about half way on the 3ed island then saved over my save file and couldn?t be bothered to start again.

Comment

I can?t believe this game is out a week before its release date! I?ve heard of shops breaking release dates, but that?s a bit extreme. However, I won?t grumble as I?ve been counting the days till this double-pack arrived

Thanks due to this forum or else I would'nt even know it was just sitting there on the shelf.

Few people have played the PS2 versions as much as me (being a huge fan of both games, though GTA3 in particular) but the Xbox differences are noticeable from the start.

The loading times are vastly improved. Many of the character and vehicles models are more detailed. There are new lighting effects. All the cars now truly reflect the background. Everything is at a higher resolution ? you can actually read the posters now. And of course, it has Dolby 5.1 and a new custom soundtrack radio station. It seems to be a bit more stable, and you can turn around now without everything being flushed from the memory.

It's not a a lazy port by any stretch of the imagination. But the fade-in is terrible, and almost undoes all the hard work they?ve put in elsewhere. The street literally populates itself 50 meters in front of you.

Either way, if you?re going to buy GTA, this is the place to get it. The box is nice too. Has a collectors? edition feel to it which I'm a sucker for.

Comment

I think the graphics look much nicer with the motion trails turned off, especially Vice City. I can`t understand why they used the effect, it looks fookin horrible.

Comment

Grabbed a copy of this last Tuesday when GAME first put it on the shelves (apparently GAME weren't the first to break the street date either) and think it just looks generally 'nicer' than the PS2 games (anyone who can't see the difference is either a blinkered PS2 fanboy or needs a new Optician's prescription ). The fact that the draw in problems still occurred was disconcerting (I expected more) but I guess that's the limitations of loading data on the fly.

Just wondering what the implications are going to be at this getting released early though. Didn't Sony have some sort of deal with Rockstar about the PAL GTA exclusivity until 2004?

Comment

I doubt if Sony will do anything as all the Chrimbo sales for this would on PS2 would have been sold by Christmas Eve.My indie sold mine early and showed me the letter that came with the games,along the lines of sell this game early and you will burn in hell.

I doubt if Sony will want to push it with Rockstar ,they might turn round and say gta4 will be exclusive to xbox if you hassle us.But I am sure sony have paid millions again to make sure its not.

Comment

I was actually MVC that broke the release date. It was probably an accident, but word spread fast and other stores not wanting to be out done put their copies out as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X