Otogi: Hyakki Toubatsu Emaki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Otogi: Hyakki Toubatsu Emaki

Otogi: Hyakki Toubatsu Emaki Special Pack for XboxThe sequel to From Software's famous mythical action game for Xbox™.

A safe bet for fans of the first, like me. I always thought that Otogi had some of the most impressive visuals Ive ever seen in a videogame, and four levels in, its sequel once again raises the bar with effects aplenty, smash an enemy into a bulding and the screen fills with gorgeous explosions and weaponry, it really is quite jaw-dropping in places. This time round you can control any of five different characters, each having their own strengths and weaknesses, whether it be a combination of differing strengths, speeds and special attacks and so on. The format is pretty much the same also, traverse a map picking a charecter to use in each scenario, with the ability to go back after improving your character to replay cleared levels is so desired. Control too is very similar, the right trigger is used to propel your charecter through the air, allowing for continued mid-air attacks the likes of what made the first game so enjoyable, pressing X launches a special attack whlst standard slashes and kicks are performed by pressing Y and B respectively.

Im only four levels in, and am currently struggling with a rather large boss, but so far I like what I see, and will post more as I go. Enemies are again of the abstract kind, nothing to write home about so far but its early days. And of course, this wouldnt be Otogi if were you not able to destroy almost everything. Non-Japanese speakers wont have much to worry about here, it is all pretty much self explanatory whilst many of the menus are also in English.

In the meantime, here is the obligatory video - Otogi: Hyakki Toubatsu Emaki Ingame - 10Mb

Gotta agree about the visual effects. This game is simply beautiful to look at. Even the most mundane actions such as slashing scenery objects results in an explosion of pixels and radial blur that leaves most other graphics engines standing. I was literally amazed by the animation and the various on-screen fx while slashing through the 3rd stage, destroying everything.

I still can't make my mind up about the combat yet though. I was never a big fan of Otogi, and despite the georgeous visuals, the actual fighting still seems a little slow and mechanical to me. I doubt it's any fault of the game though. It's just me. I'm a DMC1 fanboy till the end, and I still think the action in that title is unsurpassed to this day, and always draw (sometimes unfair) comparison.

Btw, I love the atmosphere in Otogi2, as it's about as Japanese as they come.

Comment

Just got a 1361 combo, I love the combat

Comment

As games come, its definitely a title all action fans must play. Of course its not a good as DMC1, but what action title is?

Action a plenty, stunning visuals, haunting sound and loads of fun, thats Otogi 1&2.

8)

Comment

Question:

Am I correct in stating that this includes both Part 1 and Part 2 in the pack?

Comment

As i understand it, the original Otogi is included in with Otogi 2. Both on seperate disks.
            Only for the first game pressings, or something like that.

Comment

It looks fantastic but like a lot of people the gameplay in the first one rubbed me the wrong way. Still, I'll give it a shot and sell it on if I hate, hate HATE!

Comment

Picked the first one up cheap in the sales a few days back and I'm absolutely loving it (and kicking myself for not picking it up sooner), so I'm glad to hear the sequel dishes up the same level of quality. Will no doubt be putting an order in for that one soon.

Comment

Spent a good few hours yesterday and today playing this...

It's definitely very, very Japanese in style/ atmosphere, as Vaipon mentioned. A nice screen filter effect, which looks like a old style projector effect. I've not found a way to turn off the effect.

I've only completed about 6 or so stages, and each are very varied. Ranging from ice caverns, lava-filled caverns, small village and temple locales.

Combat is fun, although you may want to change to manual 'lock-on', since the 'auto lock-on' is a bit hit and miss as to whether it will lock onto the enemy you want to attack, and whether it will cycle to the correct enemy as well (by pressing the L trigger you can cycle through the enemies). Also i don't think there is a way to cancel the auto lock-on (unless you destroy the creature) so you can maneuver yourself to a better position, without the camera being semi locked on with the enemy.
                  Thankfully on manual lock-on you can cancel the lock-on. Although you can only lock onto the nearest enemy, and you can't cycle through if there is a bunch of them. It's only on/ off.

Camera can be a bit of a bast to control. To re-centre camera you have to click the left analog stick. Also i find, that the camera is just too close to your character to get a good feel about the whereabouts of enemies close by.

Character designs are as eccentric as you would imagine.
                  So far i'm enjoying the game in a slow burner type of way, since it hasn't quite hit my adrenaline levels to the max as of yet.

A couple of Otogi 2 menu translations:
                  When going into shop:
                  1. Buy.
                  2. Sell.
                  3. Cancel.

When you use the 'Cleared Stage' option, and are just about to go into the stage, it gives you 3 options.
                  1. Continue with scenery as you left it.
                  2. Start with all the scenery back in place to default settings.
                  3. Cancel.

If anyone can provide the:
                  1. Statistic descriptions.
                  2. Item descriptions for accessory and magic.
                  that would be ace.

Comment

I don't suppose anyone knows if Sega Europe plan to release Otogi's sequel in PAL land, like they did with the first game? It wasn't anywhere to be found on their recently announced release schedule...

Maybe another publisher will pick it up. Or maybe this will give me just the reason to go out and chip my Xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                      I don't suppose anyone knows if Sega Europe plan to release Otogi's sequel in PAL land, like they did with the first game?
                      Most likely not, someone from xboxworld.com.au forum sent them e-mail and...

To: "'Mark'"
                      Subject: RE: Otogi: Hyakki Toubatsu Emaki
                      Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:42:52 -0000

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your e-mail.

Unfortunately there are no plans at the moment to release the Otogi sequel for the PAL system. It looks quiet unlikely that this will be changed in the future. Sorry to disappoint you.

Kind regards
                      Thomas Taudien

SEGA Customer Service
                      [email protected]
                      Internet help line 09066 544 544 (premium rate)
                      All other enquiries 08456 090 090 (local call rate)
                      http://www.sega-europe.com
                      IMHO sequel is bit better than the first game, thanks to new characters and mini games. And graphics is just plain amazing, this is maybe some of the best graphics on any console atm.

Comment

Pretty much the same reply i got from [email protected]
                        also replied by the same Thomas Taudien no less...

Originally posted by Segahelp.com email
                        Dear Jimmy,

Thanks for your e-mail.

Unfortunately there are no plans at the moment to release Otogi 2 in Europe.

Kind regards

Thomas Taudien

SEGA Customer Service
                        [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
                        Internet help line 09066 544 544 (premium rate)
                        All other enquiries 08456 090 090 (local call rate)

-----Original Message-----
                        Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 12:34 PM
                        To: [email protected]
                        Subject: SEGA Web Support - Otogi 2 EU release?

Hi,

Could you inform me whether 'Otogi 2' will be released in Europe or not?
                        If so, when will it be released?

Thanks.
                        Found out the Statistics (gives you the english meanings when complete the stage. Just scan through the 'pages'):

(the stats where you see numbers accompanying the green stat bars)
                        1. Exp needed to level up.
                        2. Strength - how much damage you deal.
                        3. Stamina - how much damage you can take.
                        4. Intelligence - magic power.
                        5. Resist - ? not too sure, but it might have something to do with how quickly status effects wear off.
                        6. Agility - The main difference i can see is that the higher the agility, the further your dash goes.

Although when you press 'Y' and it flicks to the second page of stats, i don't know the meaning of those ones. Probably has something to do with 'magic' stats.

Comment

I can't say I was madly in love with Otogi, but I did appreciate it's vibe.

Shame to hear the sequel probably won't be making it out over here. The Xbox's PAL line-up whilst not dying without Otogi 2, probably would have been enhanced from having it in.

Come on Microsoft, pick up the publishing rights for Europe... You know you want to.

Comment

Being a writer, and not supposed to really post in Cacophanus' Otogi 2 feedback topic, I thought Id post here and vent my thoughts.

Please let me say here in the beginning that this isnt aimed specifically at Cacophanus whom I respect as a writer, but rather gamers in general, the general serious gamer population if you will.

My gripe?

Hypocrisy

Why? Why is it Otogi both 1 and 2 are lambasted for what people call simple and basic combat, and other games are held aloft because they have more depth in their combat.

Whilst Ico, a game I hate with a passion is constantly praised and championed by most self-proclaimed serious gamers, yet its combat is as shallow and repetitive as you can possibly get. Boy hits the same 2 enemies repeteadly with stick. Repeat for the rest of the game. Heck, even the scenery repeats, with 3 quaters of the game in that dull castle. The whole game reaks of poor design, bland aesthetics and repetitive gameplay ad naseum.

Otogi biggest strength was diveristy and variety.
                            Each level was different.
                            Each mission was different.
                            The whole ambience chewed up ico, spat it out, and wiped the floor with its bloodied remains.

Yet the far too many seem to ignore Otogi.
                            Serious gamers too, whilst they will say its a shame that ico did so badly in sales.

They say Ico was an "experience" game, well whilst playing Ico made me question why I even liked gaming and made me feel generally bored and morose, Otogi reinvigorated my love for gaming, and was an intense and exciting experience where I would constantly ask myself, whats going to happen next.

Am I missing the point?
                            Someone tell me please, Otogi is criticised for poor combat, but Ico isnt, why?

This has been itching me something terrible for the past 2 days, and I finally couldnt stand it, so decided to simply let it all out.

I have seen some terrible inconsistencies within the gaming community over my life, and it always makes me wonder.

Happy gaming people

Comment

Well, you do have a point.

Otogi creates a great world to get sucked into, just as Ico does. Both feature simple combat too.

However in Otogi you play as great warriors, but in Ico you play a boy. The fact that these great fighters only have a handful of moves is a little odd, but it is excusable in Ico, not to mention that combat isn't really the point of Ico (and it is in Otogi).

Ico is a game of exploration and so weak combat isn't so much of an issue (and for the record, it is a complaint many have had with the game), Otogi is a hack-and-slash so weak combat is a bit of a no no.

Having said that, I do quite enjoy Otogi. The simple combat, or specifically the short combos, is a let down after Bujingai (which is also simple, but gives you far greater scope), however my biggest fault is the camera. It's horrible, game destroying even.

I'm on level 19 of Otogi 2 and I'm getting so annoyed with the unfluid mechanics in a game crying out for smoothness, yet I really want to continue bcause the game is so damn good to look at. I agree with the 6/10 score, without a doubt.

Comment

Working...
                              X