Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exolon: Do you remember this 8bit classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exolon: Do you remember this 8bit classic?

Does anyone remember this excellent sci-fi action game. I was thinking about it today and remembered how amazing it was on the Spectrum. It had fantastic colourful graphics with really distinctive animation and an awesome explosion effect when you blew something up with a rocket, I remember showers of destruction. I think Raffael Cecco made it, he really was a great coder, I wonder what he went on to do after the 8bit days. Once last thing, the Amiga version was the same game but with even more astonishing visuals, definitely a classic retro game.

Yes! I was JUST thinking of this the other day, but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called.

I had it on the Amiga and it was ace

Comment

Looked stunning, but at the expense of your guy moving painfully slowly. Personally, once I got past the impressive graphics I didn't really like it that much - like Cecco's Cybernoid, it wanted to look like a shooter, but played like a very fiddly puzzle game, relying far too much on pixel perfection.

Comment

I thought it was a great game, I had it on the Speccy. Hella frustrating though- There were random bouncing bubbles on a lot of the levels, most of which would appear out of nowhere just as you were about to complete the screen >___<

Comment

Originally posted by KempStar
          There were random bouncing bubbles on a lot of the levels, most of which would appear out of nowhere just as you were about to complete the screen
          Ah yes. Now I remember what it was that I really hated so much about Cecco's games. Random things appearing on the edge of the screen as you're trying to walk off it.

Comment

I agree, it was such a tough game. I only remember getting to about the 6th screen. It was technically amazing for its day though, but like many 8bit games, it was too difficult and ultimately frustrating.

Most 8bit games seem really tough now, as a small child I remember completing Ikari Warriors on the Amstrad, without any cheats, I must of been a genius at games back then, like most of us were .

Comment

Exolon was great fun at first and technically impressive, but as well as the criticisms outlined above it was also prone to crash when there was too much happening on-screen. There were some boards where you had to avoid releasing the hovering red-dot enemies; not to ease your passage but just so the game wouldn't reset your speccy.

Like Cecco's other games, it also had no ending sequence...

Comment

Working...
              X