Ichigeki Sacchuu! Hoihoi san!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ichigeki Sacchuu! Hoihoi san!

I've actually had this for a while and I've played it quite a bit....but I've yet to speak out about it. So without going into full detail here are my impressions.

Ichigeki Sacchuu! hoihoi san! "Kill [that] insect! Hoihoi san!"

Based on the popular manga and anime of the same name, Hoihoi san comes to the PS2 as a mission based 3rd person shooter/beat 'em up. The concept is pure Japanese. In the not too distant future to rid your house of pesky bugs and critters you'll need to employ 11" toy dolls to wipe them out. Forget smelly bug bombs and sprays, its time for hand-to-hand combat and all out weapons of mass destruction.

As the gamer you pilot lil' hoihoi through various stages of a house, from top to bottom. Battle arenas consist around ordinary household objects and furniture, and even at times in small spaces with objectives to protect items, or fight a specific single critter.

As with most games of this nature you're ranked on various aspects of your game play with each mission. Hit percentage, grade rank, kill percentage...and such. View of the action is a bit distant. You never get up close and personal, which would be nice especially when armed with melee attack weapons such as Katanas and maces. Long distance weapons are nice, although without a real on-screen target system you can find yourself wasting precious ammo.

And that brings up a particular rub.

Ammo and weapons must to be purchased at the store between missions. Don't buy enough ammo and you're screwed - since you do not have the option to switch to another weapon when your machine guns run dry. This provides an immediate problem right off the bat, because money is tight and weapons COST serious bank. Replaying missions to earn some scratch is not unheard of. Gamers will need to build up a serious war chest of funds if they wish to upgrade to the ultimate bug killing machine and earn "A ranks" on various missions. These high rankings will open up a few bonus side missions, so the entire process comes full circle for those looking to complete the game at 100%.

But environmental hazards will also show up later in the game - where losing money is also a possibility. Hoihoi san not only needs to deal out major damage with rocket launchers within the house....but do so without destroying objects (such as fine china plates and living room accessories) - destroying these object results in a minus in funds to pay for broken items.

And of course, the bugs just love to hang around the expensive china plates.

For importers who don't speak Japanese this is playable. Character dialog is only dispensed between missions and depending on rank and acquisition of special items as you play along. The dialog mainly consists of the shopkeeper who must sell hoihoi accessories to make the doll a success, and the sheepish boy who employs the doll at his house. Later on you'll also find a story / plot involving a competitor doll (aptly named, "Combat") and reps from the corporation that built it. The dolls NEVER speak. In fact, they are completely mute in dialog and expression. They are machines pure and simple.

Animation for the story scenes are done on a minimal scale using Japanese hand drawn anime (no 3D computer effects, or models). In fact, this is so scaled down you'll only find static scenes where only the mouth / lips move, or facial icons to indicate emotion. Otherwise gamers will find themselves back to the heart of the game, which is to shop for weapons and gear and then off to kill more bugs.

Bugs are from the common garden variety, but as insects tend to do they come in droves. Gamers will find PLENTY of insects to kill. Often in repeating patterns and in a variety of speeds and AI. Some are just plain stupid. Others have a range that will allow you to approach them before they scurry off. Often gamers will need use of a tip-toe approach to literally sneak up on certain targets.

Another aspect of the game is not only in combat, but also in conservation and technique. Poor hoihoi will not run forever. The doll has a finite amount of time between battery charges (depending on the battery pack you purchase at the store). If Hoihoi is damaged too much, or works too damn hard, gamers might find the doll drained before finishing the requirements to end the mission. This reduces the game down to a memorization of "where" the bugs appear and how to deal with them in the most efficient manner - all without being hit. It becomes downright evil when the bugs start to respawn.

PN.03 and Gotcha Force come to mind in how to sustain health and complete each mission. Learn the attack patterns and positions in each stage until you have mastered the level. Then continue, rinse and repeat.

In all, Ichigeki sacchuu! Hoihoi san! is a fun time killer if you have nothing to do, or if you're looking to test your mettle against your personal best. As always the real enemy is yourself and attempting to rank higher and better with each play. Importers looking for a fun and simple 3rd person action shooter can easily enjoy this. Fans of small scale action in large household environments (Chibi Robo, Mr. Mosquito...) won't be disappointed.

Ja ne.

Sounds very interesting, I might try to pick this one up

Comment

If you're thinking of getting this in the future put it on your bargin bin list. Right now the retail cost is pretty high (standard price). As much as I did like the game I don't feel it's worth paying the same as I did for Final Fantasy X-2, or Prince of Persia.

Ichiegeki Sacchuu! Hoihoi san! is a great filler game, and should be thought of in that way....only.

Hold off until the price comes down.

Comment

The man is right. I just got it for the toy figure which I wish I kept sealed for Ebay purposes. Still its a stopgap game that I spent way too much on. Get Bujingai instead.

Comment

Working...
        X