Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Densha De Go Tokyo Express

First Euro Review!!!

A new Densha de go title so quickly? Not quite.
    No, I was ever so disappointed to see this is actually based on the Train Simulator Real series, not Densha De go, despite what?s been written. The Densha de go bit basically features the Densha front end cab and scoring system. The graphics are actually streamed off DVD. That?s not to say the games poor.
    I used to prefer the Densha de go series because I hate FMV based games.
    Actually TS ?real? highlights the immediate restriction with FMV games and that?s the fact that what happens on screen cannot be controlled.
    Of course, limited control applies to anything on-rails, esp. a train, so you can see why they took that route. The footage is of decent quality, although I don?t think its true DVD quality.
    Like the other versions in the series (Featuring JR?s Yamanote line and the Keishin line), the programmers have gone down the cheap route of one FMV for the whole game. If you control a fast or slow train, day or evening, it matters not. Its still daytime and you always see the same trains in the same places. As Anal as it sounds this is equivalent to having AI cars in a racing game always moving to the same spots, but again, its another restriction with FMV.
    This is very cheap, as Taito?s game features full weather effects and light hues relevant to the time of day. Actually, the engineering work Taito have input into their game over the years is quite amazing, esp. on Densha Pro 2. (74 miles worth of buildings, nearly all different, on one route alone, theres 5 routes, each of which have their own feel, So its far better value to by this really.)
    Interestingly theres no mention of Taito anywhere in the Manual, at least in English, although Play-Asia mention the game as being produced by them.

That aside, lets ?jump aboard? and take a look at what this game is about.
    Firstly the route itself. The game concentrates on the lines around the Shibuya part of Toyko. Not the JR lines (which have been covered in nearly all the DDG series and the aforementioned TS? Yamanote line).
    Rather, the smaller local companies that exist within Japan, who were not allowed through central Tokyo when the railways were being built. Your likely to see the TS ?reeal? series get the licences for the smaller companies whilst Taito will have exclusivity to JR based lines.
    Tokyu (full name Tokyo Kyuko Dentetsu = Tokyo Express Electric Railway) is one of the major private railways in Japan with a network of seven railway lines and one tramway line with a total length of 100.7 km. In terms of size of network, Tokyu is the 13th biggest private railway in Japan, but it transports more passengers than any other of the private railways (2.6 million per day). Actually JR East and JR West are the only railway companies in Japan with more passengers than Tokyu. In spite of the many passengers, Tokyu does not have the biggest total daily income (4th of the private railways), but the biggest income per route-km of all Japanese railways: 2.5 million Yen per km and day. But riding on the Tokyu is not expensive, in fact it is one of the cheapest railways in Japan, where you can take a trip up to 3 km for only 110 Yen on some lines. Another feature of the Tokyu is that the average trip length per passenger is only 9.4 km, less than the 14.1 km for the other big private railways.
    That?s the info behind the game. Not exactly original I grant you, but hey.
    Theres 3 of the 7 routes open, featuring 10 trains.
    The routes are the ?Denentoshi line?, from Shibuya to Chou Rinkan. The ?Tokoyo? line from, Sakuragicho to Shibuya, and the Oimachi line from Oimachi to Futago-
    Tamahawaen.
    Seeing as theres no screen shots, here?s some of the trains you can drive?

(Copyright Japanese railways society)

Interestingly the game manuals map shows all 7 routes in bold, but whether these are bonus routes I?m not sure. They take around 20 mins to 1 hour to complete.
    In the TSR version, you get the chance to drive the routes or take an exam. Points are awared for smooth driving, arriving with 50cm of a platform, speed restriction adherence, non application of ATC (the train warning system that stops trains speeding, use of the 5,3,1 brake method (when approaching a station at a given speed, you move to brake notch 5, then 3 and then 1 and must come to rest within the 2 meter platform clearance. I?ve only ever done this once but when you do the game goes all spooge mode and gives you some message with multiple exclamation marks!!! You also get lots of points.

In Densha mode the screen layout is the same as Densha de go your scored like Densha. Most of the same rules apply as TSR.
    Intrestingly the game knows where the tunnels and curved stations are and you?re marked for sounding the horn. Your score is then placed on High score tables for every train.

General movement is very good, esp., during braking, as the train cab lurches forward although it gets silly when your at speed as everything moves faster. Its quite frightening when your slowing at a station and an express approaches (like the gut feeling you get when an express passes you under a footbridge).

Control wise, you?ve got 5 notch brake and accelerator, notch 0 (neutral) buttons, a cab-panel zoom, horn and Emergency brake, plus a button assigned to putting the brake into notch 1 only (for slowing down without using a clumsy Dpad).
    Of course you can one of the many ?train-type? controllers available on import which adds to the feel.
    Overall then, well, if you like this type of games then fair enough. As a game for a train enthusiast, you?ll proberly get quite a lot of enjoyment. Its not as varied as Densha De Go so if you own Pro 2 you may want to forget it.
    If your new to the genre again, I?d recommend Densha Pro 2 or M$ Trainsim (for P.C) .
    Its really only a game for train-fan completists although the Densha de go part may add to its value in years to come. I?m unsure if the games run is that limited.
    I got mine from Play-Asia which is proberly the cheapest place I know.

Score 5.

Steve S.

Steve / Afterbirth,

Thanks for the impressions! Great stuff here. Covered a lot of the bases! I've been playing Densha De Go for a while myself and found them quite enjoyable. To be honest I have yet to play any of the "simulator / FMV" style games, but I agree with your comments in regard to the layout and level design found in DDG Pro 2 and DDG 3.

I've also never had the fortune to use a "fancy" import controller, but sure would love to get my hands on one.

A question for you....are they any safety procedures for entering the station / platform? DDG 3 (commuter train) featured safety requirements when passengers stepped too close to the platform edge as you eased the train to a stop. I could see this as a problem with the FMV.

I am sad to hear there's no adverse weather affects. Nothing made me panic more than suddenly seeing rain on the tracks and I'm short on time. Adds an actual sense of excitement.

Furthermore, because of that first person view and such I felt the massive weight of responsibility as a train conductor. Japan pretty much mythifies their train engineers as national heroes. Many TV series and manga have been made featuring their stern resolve and commitment. I have to admit, one thing that DDG did lack was a bevy of crowds on the actual train. I felt like I was running a ghost train half the time.

Has that issue been addressed in this version? Are we treated to FMV of jammed packed trains and "pushing" - quite common with the commute lines in the urban areas during "rush".

However, on the flip side - as a representation of the railway system, they may offer a more sterile environment for the video game.....just to put a shine on things.

Thanks again for your solid impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetblack
      A question for you....are they any safety procedures for entering the station / platform? DDG 3 (commuter train) featured safety requirements when passengers stepped too close to the platform edge as you eased the train to a stop. I could see this as a problem with the FMV.

I am sad to hear there's no adverse weather affects. Nothing made me panic more than suddenly seeing rain on the tracks and I'm short on time. Adds an actual sense of excitement.

Furthermore, because of that first person view and such I felt the massive weight of responsibility as a train conductor. Japan pretty much mythifies their train engineers as national heroes. Many TV series and manga have been made featuring their stern resolve and commitment. I have to admit, one thing that DDG did lack was a bevy of crowds on the actual train. I felt like I was running a ghost train half the time.
      As you say, the FMV is as restricted as you can imagine so theres no'straying passengers'. Intrestingly, signals are graphically filled in and scaled appropriately (so you can see them at distance).

Intrestingly Densha Pro 2 does not have passengers either because i'd guess this was because details have been sarcified for far longer routes (hence no external animations either). As for crowds, the routes are quite busy but were problem filmed between peaks (although the game allows you to drive 'peak' trains!). Obviously the Yanamote line features the most crowds (its overcrowding rate was 237% at one time).

Comment

Afterbirth, have you actually got Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line?

How does the new Densha de Go! Tokyo Express Version compare to this?

I'm looking forward to Densha de Go! Tokyo Express Version but I'm still waiting for my copy to come from playasia...

I honestly feel that Densha de Go! Tokyo Express Version has a tough act to follow as I truly love Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line.
        It's the ultimate train game for me.

P.S. Incidently Densha De Go! Professional 2 is now only ?11.37 from playasia now...
        Densha de Go! Professional 2 for PlayStation 2Densha de Go! Professional 2, a real time train simulation, features over 100 playable trains and 90 different routes.

Comment

Originally posted by phillai

I have all three TSR's and the majority of DDG's (I'm missing Pro 1, Shinsanken, and the tram game).
          I still prefer the general 'external' ambience of the DDG series and its arcade nature.

As for TSR, its pretty much the same, although theres more routes so a little extra game play. Theres also 8 or so trains rather then 1. Theres no 'forth view' movies (See TSR 2 for details - its a novetly extra) and the first two routes are quite longer (each taking 40-1 hour depending on service type). I also think the footage is slightly clearer.

DDG Pro 2 at that price is a complete steal. I'm hoping it will be a sought after title in time.

Comment

Ive never played a densha de go game before, but at that price, theres no time like the present! Many thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats
              Ive never played a densha de go game before, but at that price, theres no time like the present! Many thanks for the heads up.
              Anytime mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Afterbirth

I have all three TSR's and the majority of DDG's (I'm missing Pro 1, Shinsanken, and the tram game).
                I still prefer the general 'external' ambience of the DDG series and its arcade nature.

As for TSR, its pretty much the same, although theres more routes so a little extra game play. Theres also 8 or so trains rather then 1. Theres no 'forth view' movies (See TSR 2 for details - its a novetly extra) and the first two routes are quite longer (each taking 40-1 hour depending on service type). I also think the footage is slightly clearer.

DDG Pro 2 at that price is a complete steal. I'm hoping it will be a sought after title in time.
                All three TSR's? Are you classing Densha de Go! Tokyo Express Version as the third TSR? Also are you classing Densha de Go! Tokyo Express Version as a Real Train Simulator or Densha or a bit of both as I was led to believe?

Also what's TSR2 like? I can't remember the full title but it's got a red cover? I saw it at the 2002 Tokyo Game Show and it seemed to be not as good as the first one. Maybe 'cause I felt I not used that the train in TSR2 whereas in the 1st TSR I could say 'yeah I been to those places when I was in Tokyo and I been to Akihabara'...

Comment

I've just ordered a copy too - always wanted to play a DDG game
                  Can anyone tell me if the experience is overly dampened by not having the custom controller?

Comment

All three TSR's? Are you classing Densha de Go! Tokyo Express Version as the third TSR? Also are you classing Densha de Go! Tokyo Express Version as a Real Train Simulator or Densha or a bit of both as I was led to believe?

Also what's TSR2 like? I can't remember the full title but it's got a red cover? I saw it at the 2002 Tokyo Game Show and it seemed to be not as good as the first one. Maybe 'cause I felt I not used that the train in TSR2 whereas in the 1st TSR I could say 'yeah I been to those places when I was in Tokyo and I been to Akihabara'...
                    No. Not DDG. Tokyo express is TSR 3. The only DDG bit is the playmode available. Your scored on various things like DDG and it now has a high score table (which adds to the playabilty, but it still feels restricted somewhat.
                    Taito are not even mentioned in the manual (Lets hope they still release their own versions).

I'll post details on TSR 2. Basically is based on another Tokyo based private company line, like TSR 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Jashin
                      Can anyone tell me if the experience is overly dampened by not having the custom controller?
                      I'd say you really need the custom controller to get into the game, at least to begin with. It wouldn't hamper your skills though.

I played ddg2 today... in the arcades! They have a Japanese language ddg2 machine at Troc. Good job I was familiar with it, having previously played the DC version.

I'm still hopeless at judging braking distances mind... seriously, any tips on that?

Comment

Right, I got Densha de Go! Tokyo Express Version today from playasia (approximately 1 week after ordering it) along with Fantasy Zone and Densha De Go! Professional 2.

First of all I would like say that I'm slightly disappointed by Densha de Go! Tokyo Express Version. It's trying to be an inbetween, between Sony's Train Simulator Real and Taito's Densha De Go! and it doesn't quite come off.

The streamed FMV is definitely not as nice and smooth as Sony's Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line which is kinda disappointing. It's blocky and pixelated and it's also a little blurred. It looks low res and it also looks as though it's running at 30fps!

I also don't like the fact that on the Densha De Go! Tokyo Express Version, there's far too many journeys in the dark, as it gives the impressing that you're on the underground! All you see is your headlights and nothing else much.

A plus point though is this. I'm absolutely, majorly delighted with Densha De Go! Professional 2. This really is such a good game and I can't believe that I've never bought it before and at ?11.37 from playasia, it's an absolute steal! Buy this one now and not Densha de Go! Tokyo Express !!!

All in all for me, Densha De Go! Professional 2 is the best train game and for FMV train action it's gotta be Sony's Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line...

Comment

Tonight I just had another quick go on Sony's Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line to see how it compares to the newly released Densha de Go! Tokyo Express.

I can't stress this enough, the FMV footage of Densha de Go! Tokyo Express is no where near as good quality as Sony's Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line.

With Sony's Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line you really do feel as though you're there in Tokyo!!!

I also like the cool jingles you get in Sony's Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line when you stop at each station. This truly has a unique Japanese feel to the game and really makes me miss Japan so much.

People who'll have been to Tokyo will understand what I'm on about with all these cool jingles you get when you stop at each train station.

God, I miss Japan so much now!

Also with Sony's Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line the game is alot more simplified and is not so punishing when compared to the Densha De Go! series.

For this reason and with the real FMV footage you feel so chilled out when you're playing this sort of game. You really can just relax and play!

Comment

but... in ddg2 how do you judge braking distances?

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                              but... in ddg2 how do you judge braking distances?

There's a line where you have to physically stop.
                              Also there's a distance meter that gradually gets smaller and smaller as you approach the stop line. Mastering the art of stopping the train on the line without going over the line or before the line is one of the many appeals of the game.

Also lets not forget that you have to stop the train on time as well according to the time on the train timetable...

Comment

Working...
                              X