PDA

View Full Version : Your biggest regrets. Have you passed up great deals?

Sketcz
04-01-2004, 05:29 PM
We've all done it, passed up the ultimate retro deal, only to months later discover you error, leading to you wanting to wear nothing but sack cloth, and subsisting only on a thin broth of boiled fiosh heads as punishment for you grave mistake.

Well, maybe not as bad as that. :happy:

Heres one to get it rolling:

I passed up a mint copy of Catlevania SOTN on PSX, PAL and mint. Containing both the music CD and art book. For only ?19.99 second hand
At the time I thought, myeh, Ive got the Japanese version, I dont need another.

Ive just seen it today going on ebay for over ?60, and its such a classic as well. I dont think Id sell it if I had a second copy.

Another one, I never knew about the DC bundle, of 3 games and VMU, and then I went and left the country. I had to pay 50 euro to buy one second hand after mine packed in here. Damn, wished Id picked up that bundle for cheap. >_<

Anyway, post your own, and maybe Ill post some others that are far worse than these.

I started this topic, after seeing that SOTN auction, and basically wanted to take some comfort in reading other peoples big regrets.

have fun!

aidey6
04-01-2004, 06:02 PM
PAL Boxset Samba de Amigo ?50, :o but did not know much about the game, i got it xmas 02 of ebay for ?110....

I too missed initially missed Castlevania:SOTN Ltd Ed. saw it reduced at an independent game shop in stockport about 98-99 for ?17. I did not know much about it and after a quick demo, silly me was influenced by my mate "its not even in 3d..." :hmm:

I got lucky and spotted it for ?25 tho' about 3 years ago

Papercut
04-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Super duper Deluxe Pal NES set, with complete R.O.B., for about ?16 at a Cash Converters.

Cash Converters bought a bundle of NES stuff from some bloke, separated the games, and forgot to pack the R.O.B. cart in the Deluxe NES set.

They couldn't find the cart/refused to put it back (I forget which), so I ended up buying the set and returning it. Doh!

Shou
05-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Metal Slug US AES $100

Ninja Master's AES $100

Magical Chase TG16 $15

:???: :blink: :o

Pij
05-01-2004, 08:11 AM
A local importers was closing down years ago, and they was selling off new Neo-Geo AES's for ?50 and there games for ?25- ?40 each (samsho 2/3) King Of fighters 94/95 Final Fight 3 etc (this was back in 96)

asked them to keep some and i would be there the next day, got there at 9 am and they said that they had decided to send them all back to there reseller and forgot to keep the ones i wanted to one side :(

i was gutted

bangaio
05-01-2004, 11:54 AM
CEX were selling loads of Japanese and US SNES games, I wanted and passed on front mission, seiken densetsu for a tenner, (i like the boxes) US Mana for a fiver and Mario RPG for about 15 pounds. Then they dissapeared due to the nintendo pressure.

Also missed Pal Samba box set for ?60 and may others.

Did get a mint Capcom vs SNK 2 for ?10 just after it was released on the DC from Skill and then King of Fighters 99 Dream Match for the same amount from the same shop also mint. Looks like they didnt really know the value of second hand japanese dreamcast stuff that well. :D

Robster
05-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Slightly off topic here but I might let this one slip depending on what you all say:

PAL Dreamcast full boxed complete with one controller ?21

PAL SS unboxed with 2 controllers all leads.

Im a bit hesitant abou the Saturn as no box but the dreamcast has been eating away at me since I left the shop at 4 this afternoon.

Should I buy or not.

And back to topic:

I let an auction of FF 3,4,5,6(I think) SNES NTSC jap (all complete) slip by me at 70 - thats less than ?20 a game. I decided not to to bother due to fear of a bidding war. But now I regret it a little bit as you never know how it could have turned out. :s

The box art is simply beutifull.

Sketcz
05-01-2004, 09:18 PM
is the saturn modded? also, you never said how much the saturn costs.

Heres a big one, that many have said I am exagerating.
I dont actually regret, but some might.

I saw a NeoGeo home system in Japan, boxed, but no controller or leads.
And it was selling for the crazy price of:
aprox ?18!
Around Y3600 yen

I kid you not. Actually, the more I think of it, I dont think it worked. But I never asked the guy. I could never afford the cartgames, so gave it a miss.
That and, at that price I was a bit suspicious.
I thought it best to say this, since several posters months back thought I was nuts saying this.
This was also the time when I went through airport security, with plenty of CD games concealled on my person without triggering alarms. It was a few years back mind, but some thought I was nuts too.

damn, Ive gone all paranoid tonight, keep feeling the need to justify myself. :hmm:

Robster
05-01-2004, 09:21 PM
as far as Im aware its not modded and its on sale for ?20.

yes or no?? :s

That Neo Geo sounds a bit iffy to me, the shop could have easily obtained a set of leads etc and sold it for far more . Poss right it might have been broke. Then gain their the chance that it could have been repaired.

Sketcz
05-01-2004, 09:30 PM
NeoGeo had a hash "#" symbol on the pricetag.

I have no idea what this is, but cheap games get it slapped on them.
Grandia on the saturn worked fine, and it was

Y300#
as stated on the tag, or like ?1-2

Worked fine, and had both booklets, I was very surprised to find it so cheap.
Who knows why? I saw a good 40% knocked off 2 identical games, simply because 1 had a visible nick in the disc. I took the nikked Princess Crown, and it ran fine. They can be very tempermental about mint games.
I couldnt ndertsand the label they slapped on it, so maybe I was missing something big written there.

I know what I regret now, not taking a picture of that box! :rolleyes:

I would have made it my avatar probably, becuase Ill admit, it sounds far fetched.

EDIT:
as for the saturn? hmm, Id say no, since you might find it cheaper at a car boot sale. But if you must have it, buy it and mod it yourself.
Or mod it, and sell it for more.
Check ebay, and compare prices, and remember, you wont have to pay shipping if you buy it from the shop. :happy:
It all depends, can you wait, and hunt around? Might get lucky, might not.
But if you know you want it, dont pass up the oppurtunity.

Try and haggle some games with it if you do.

Robster
05-01-2004, 09:35 PM
what about the saturn???? :p

Sketcz
05-01-2004, 09:38 PM
as for the saturn? hmm, Id say no, since you might find it cheaper at a car boot sale. But if you must have it, buy it and mod it yourself.
Or mod it, and sell it for more.
Check ebay, and compare prices, and remember, you wont have to pay shipping if you buy it from the shop.

It all depends, can you wait, and hunt around? Might get lucky, might not.
But if you know you want it, dont pass up the oppurtunity.

I have seen things, and though, no, Ill get it later for cheapr, in the end I had to wait MUCH longer, and get it for more.

Saw metal slug, WITH cart, for ?50, in Japan, but thought I could find it for less, in the end, I had to buy it for ?80 off ebay with no cart because I couldnt find it anywhere else.

Try and haggle some games with it if you do.

Robster
05-01-2004, 09:42 PM
you have just confirmed my fears.

I'll think Ill buy it tommorrow along with the dreamcast and haggle for a discount. My excuse: the SFII cart I bought for snes does not work so i have to take it back!!!!

It was meant to be :happy: :lol:

chevkoch
05-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Samba de Amigo original boxed set with maracas for me too. The store had 2 of those and I didn't get them at $50 each. Aw!

And while being in Tokyo years back, I should've taken the opportunity to buy so much more stuff than I actually did bring home. Need to go again soon. Please Mammon.

I hope I won't regret not getting one of the brandnew, boxed PC Engine GT US (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=227&products_id=3380&lsaid=68107) Lik Sang still have for $179.99. Time will tell.

gossi the dog
06-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Suikoden II (PAL) for a tenner on Simplygames (when they were good) some 3 and a bit years ago. OK so I already owned the game at the time (and still do), but at that price it's a steal and would be worth a small fortune by now.

Suikoden (PAL) in excellent condition for ?24 from the local second hand game shop some 4 years ago. Thought it was way too much at the time but in retrospect it would have been a bargain :(

Samba de Amigo with maracas (PAL) for ?70 from Simplygames. Didn't have the money :(

TheForce
06-01-2004, 12:08 PM
I once had the chance to get myself a Nuon powered DVD player (with controller plugs) and a copy of Tempest 3000 (ofcourse) , I didn't buy it back then (I thought it was a little to expensive for only one game)....... STUPID STUPID ME !! I should have bought it.......

Grey Area
07-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Really regretted selling my Saturn even though i got a good price for it, but i saw one today unboxed, leads and a pad for ?26 so i had it. Ive got an old Saturn box in the loft aswell.

as for the saturn? hmm, Id say no, since you might find it cheaper at a car boot sale.

Doh....oh well. I'm not unhappy about it. : )

Robster
07-01-2004, 06:19 PM
ditto got the saturn with all leads,controller for 20 quid, then picked up a mem cart for 4 quid around the corner in another shop.

1st thing is to do the region mod. and get some good ntsc shooter's

Sketcz
07-01-2004, 06:27 PM
"in the hunt"

quite a good sub based side scrolling shooter, a bit like metal slug, sort of.
Quite cheapish too. Esp the JPN version, had some bloody weird name I cant remember though.

damn, this has brought back all my saturn memories, methinks its time to drag mine out of storage.

In hindsight, I probably preffered my saturn to the PSX, even though I bought my PSX first.

chevkoch
07-01-2004, 08:15 PM
"in the hunt"

quite a good sub based side scrolling shooter, a bit like metal slug, sort of.

This is excellent, I love it. Phenomenal piece of 2D horizontal shooting.

http://home8.swipnet.se/~w-85694/images/hunt2.jpg

Geezer
08-01-2004, 12:24 AM
mmm, that looks really charming, might just have to look it up :)

Crisp_Rapper
08-01-2004, 02:46 AM
great game.

i passed up stacks of virtual boys when i went to the states years, ago... they'd already been a big failure and toys r us was selling them off for $25 including 3/4 games.

"but it's ****" i said to myself and walked on.

stupid. :zzz:

Ady
08-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Guardian Heroes in our local Gamestation a few years back. When I think about you I slap myself. :pft:

'I'll get it next week, no-one will buy that'

What was I thinking?

jim g
08-01-2004, 03:30 PM
otaku 84, you can pick In the Hunt on ebay.com for the Saturn for a few Dollars.

I recently bought another PSOne copy (PAL) which is now hard as hell to get. :D

Regrets, where do I begin, but I guess my biggest is NOT buying Metal Slug 1 for the Neo Geo AES which was in my hands for ?350, only lottery winners can afford it now :o

Sketcz
18-01-2004, 10:43 AM
I know about in the hunt, bought the JPN version for about 10 bucks.

heheh, I can just feel the regret in this topic, see? Now, dont you all feel better, getting that off your chest?

Another of mine:
Cool Cool Toon, on DC, in my local importers, he couldnt shift it, so dropped price to ?25, but I thought, nah, looks like some kind of puzzler.
I couldnt see the back of it, and no review were up at the time.
Now I find out, its a rhythm game and its now hard to get. damn.

Naiera
18-01-2004, 11:19 AM
I'd say it's possible to get it for ?25 on eBay.

taurusnipple
18-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Skies of Arcadia on the GC. I saw a few in Circuit City a few months back and held back a purchase to get the latest games. Go looking for it yesterday and not one shop has it anymore. I've been checking online and the only place that has it is VirginMegastoreUSA...for a $100!!!

Dunno what I'm gonna do, I won't buy a pre-used game, fussy that way.

Plisken
18-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Alien Soldier (PAL) mitn and complete, ?6.99

Under the Bed
19-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Well, i went to my local carboot and there was a guy selling PS1 games. He had about 100 of Vib Ribbon complete with poster. He wanted ?2.00 each. I bought 20 just in case it became a rare title(sad i know). This was about a year ago.

I only have 3 left they have all gone on ebay for around ?25.00/?30.00 each.

How i wish i would have bought the lot. Can't complain though as them little buggers paid for my Panasonic Q. :D

taurusnipple
19-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Some people have all the luck :rolleyes:

johnjwaters
19-01-2004, 12:06 PM
games ten pound jaguar, weep :(

Fragmaster
19-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Before I knew much about prices, I traded in my Panzer Dragoon Saga for ?15 at Gamestation. Saw it a few weeks ago, near ?100 :pft: :(

taurusnipple
19-01-2004, 04:48 PM
You don't see prices like the UK's in the States. Videogames & consoles are ****ing extortionate over here. These stores don't give a **** about competition cos' they know the consumers are all lazy and won't shop around for a bargain. Or something. Makes me all :pft:

Ravon
19-01-2004, 05:28 PM
My regrets are selling my Commodore 128 and Amiga..... :(

gossi the dog
19-01-2004, 05:47 PM
You don't see prices like the UK's in the States. Videogames & consoles are ****ing extortionate over here. These stores don't give a **** about competition cos' they know the consumers are all lazy and won't shop around for a bargain. Or something. Makes me all :pft:

Sounds to me like the big video game retailers are colluding with one another.

RINGO
19-01-2004, 07:51 PM
nes for a pound

i had one already..........**** a pound

Ringo 8)

J0e Musashi
19-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Regrets, where do I begin, but I guess my biggest is NOT buying Metal Slug 1 for the Neo Geo AES which was in my hands for ?350, only lottery winners can afford it now

Strangley, my best bargain ever was an original, mint condition, Japanese version Metal Slug 1 for AES for ?200

Che Musashi
19-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Magic Pengel for 20.00 at Best Buy. I was restraining myself because the gaming glut that was coming with the holiday season.

Sketcz
20-01-2004, 04:22 PM
I saw Magic pengel on ebay, buy it now, from the USA for around ?10, but the thought of paypal hassle, and extar postage made me think I could wait. I now dont see it anymore.

Anyway, I see cheap NES' all the time.
Bought several at car boot sales for ?1 each because they didnt work, then reconditioned them.

Also, today say a NES, 2 pads, gun and 1 game, for only 19 Euro.
The guy still has it, should I go back and pick it up?

Concept
20-01-2004, 04:48 PM
I was looking forward to picking up an old Tecmo game called Devil's Deception in my local Gamestation today, along with Bust-A-Groove and Little Big Adventure. So I went to pull out some cash from the nearest ATM, and when I get back, the main focus of my pull was gone.

I check the whole PSOne rack, but it wasn't anywhere to be found. Not my biggest regret, but definately one of the few already building in 2004.

Sketcz
20-01-2004, 04:55 PM
I have devils deception....
Interested in buying it off me?
Its mint, PAL version

Its not that good, too restrictive, but certainly unique. Never played anything else like it. PM me if interested.
But due to too many games at once being bought, I put it on the shelf alongside Sentient and a number of other games.

Concept
20-01-2004, 07:02 PM
You've confirmed my initial thoughts. I was going to get Devil's Deception out of mere curiosity, but if it's not all that brilliant in the first place, then perhaps I'm not missing out on that much.

In any case, cheers for the heads up.

Sketcz
21-01-2004, 09:23 AM
no worries.

Could have been so much better, but the hardware held it back.

A remake, with full free roaming abilities could be fantastic.
Or a futuristic update with camera and other stuff.

Like so many games, good on paper, but not quite it in execution, pity.

Lebowski
21-01-2004, 12:37 PM
ive never passed up any super bargins i passed on panzer dragoon saga ?40 second hand, i thought it was a bit expensive for a second hand saturn game and the box was a bit tatty, although i did finish the first disk that they gave away with sega saturn magazine and serieousley considered getting it,

Our game station (the leeds one) tended to be a bit expensive even quite a few years ago, samba was about 90 quid Neo Geo pocket stuff ?50 plus for new pal games just after it was canned.

the bradford one on the other hand used to be a gold mine, Loads of ngp stuff for a tenner faseli, cool boarders, Metal slug 2, evolution, capcom vs SNK match of the millenium, the only one i passed up on was Evolution which was pretty stupid of me, id have to mention though that even though cool boarders is rare on the ngp it is absolute pish.

got loads of other ace bargins from there though castelvania sotn pal new for a tenner, suikoden 1 and 2 for ?20 each

and my fave mario one two and three on the nes boxed with instruction brand new and sealed for ?3 last year :p

Sketcz
21-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Panzer Dragoon Saga ay? Arguably one the best games on the 20th century if you ask me. Anyway, I dunno if I should post it here, but I came across mine via some shady business. :???:

I saw it on ebay, and bid on it, on a whim at around ?35
Suddenly the guy pulls the auction, for personal reasons. He has low feedback, I assume a noob.
He then emails me, saying he still wants to sell it.
He asks for ?40, I say ok. He puts up a private auction, which I win.
This was around 3 years ago.

Anyway, I send off payment. I ask the guy how come its so cheap, he says his uncle works at a store that was clearing out all their old stock, and he was selling stuff off. Said I must ask him for any other items. He could "get them" for me. I declined since I was so low on cash, I had to borrow the ?40.

Anyway, 2 weeks go by, the cheque clears, and he claims to post it. But it still hasnt arrived.
I email him, he says there was a postal strike.
So I ring up the royal mail, and question them about his local area. They say there have been no strikes int that area, or indeed at all over this time period.

I get suspicious, so I email him, and confront him. No reply.
So I track down the phone number to the store where he said his uncle works in his town. I ask them for a Mr *****, or if anyone there knows a Mr *****. I get a muffled, "erm... No, no we... er dont have anyone here by that name..."
So I email him, telling him what Ive done. No reply.

I then get real sneaky, and checking that white pages thing online, with everyones phone number and street adress, I start checking his street with various random surnames. His number is ex directory, so its no good, I cant get his number.

Since all you need is a surname, I thought if I randomly get the right one, it might show up a neighbour of his, and Id get them to start questioning him.

Well I ended up finding some irate lady, 5 doors down from him. (lucky as hell, I know!)
I ask her, and she gets really annoyed and demands I stop calling her. Sounds real old, like some 50 year old biddy.

Anyway, I email him again, but don't reveal what Ive done, and say Im going to go down there and find him if he doesnt cough up my game.
(a blatant lie, I would have simply reported him to ebay, but I didnt want to jump the ebay gun, in case it jeopordiesed my getting the game)

Anyway, 4 days later I get my mint PDS, with crisp outer casing, and discs which apparently have never been played. It is mint down to the staples in the booklet. I email to say its arrived, he doesnt reply back.
He leaves me 1 word of feedback
"reliable"

:p

I regret I hadnt asked him for more, if the guy was dumb enough to sell me a mint PDS so cheaply, I might have been able to furnish alot more of my Saturn collection relatively cheaply, like getting dragon force maybe.
Perhaps though, it was for the best?