Real Bout (S/2) or KOF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Bout (S/2) or KOF?

So, I expect that the Neo has arrived when I get home, and for that I have Samurai Spirits II... Next up, I had imagined I'd buy KOF' 98, but after watching the FF-anime ( ) I started reading up on the Real Bout games, and wondered if I should get Special or Newcomers instead of KOF '98... What do you guys think? I love MOTW and the amazing animation, and I do get a bit tired of the lack of the same in the KOF games...

RB2 - The Newcomers is a fantastic 2D fighter.
    IMO it's the best Fatal Fury game after MOTWs'!

Comment

Although I haven't played MOTW or any Real Bout games, I haven't stopped playing on KoF98 since I got my AES about 2 weeks ago. For ?60-ish, it's definately worth a purchase!

Comment

RB S and 2 are really bloody good games. I prefer Special over 2 slightly as I prefer the overall presentation style and it has nicer stages. The gameplay is, as you'd expect, really similar and however RB 2 has a couple of extra characters. The graphics in both have a nicer feel than KOF imo and they can be a lot more fun than KOF. KOF 98 is no doubt the more technical/tactical game and is a very solid game. I'd say you should definitely get at least one of the Real Bout games and KOF 98. They are essential, I suppose what you've got to decide is in which order

If it were me, I'd get RBS then KOF 98

Comment

KOF '98 is cheaper, though... RBS is like $50 more, and my overdraft is going to be ?60 when I'm paid what I am owed and DVDOO takes the money for that Akira DVD (Oh yeah, and that LeBron James cap from eBay ) ... I think I'll settle for KOF '98 But, if possible, I'll get RBS. The consensus seems to be that it's better than RB2, and since it's cheaper it makes sense to start there. I've played enought KOF on DC to last me a while, and I'm currently in the midst of playing another "mix-fighter" in SvC on the PS2...

Thanks for your input. It's very much appreciated!

Comment

Get Real Bout 1. Everyone should own it, It's probably my 3rd/4th fave Neo game. You'll be playing forever - combos link together like butter and look fantastic. I can't think of a better game if you need to get used to the Neo, or if you've never played a 2D fighter before - A good one for your mates if you play a lot of vs.

It also bears the greatest ever Neo cover art. 8)

Real Bout 2 and KoF'98 need playing for ages until you get good enough to actually enjoy what's going on. However, if you're already familiar with moves and technique then jump right in. Both games are the ultimate in their respective series.

Comment

I thought you preferred RBS I think I've played enough '98 to last me a while, and I thought I might be better off with something new, and RB1 is just as cheap as '98... How do the animations compare to MOTW and '98?

Comment

Originally posted by Naiera
                I thought you preferred RBS I think I've played enough '98 to last me a while, and I thought I might be better off with something new, and RB1 is just as cheap as '98... How do the animations compare to MOTW and '98?
                The animations at first glance on the how-to-play screen may put you off at first, they're dated compared to RB2 and Garou obviously - they're basically the same sprites as FF3. However once you start playing the game opens up. Breakable barriers at either side of the fighting area, MASSIVE screen fonts, typical FF 'time changing' backgrounds between rounds, huge chunky sprites....

On one level you can smash the opponent through a metal scaffold onto some electrical wires to win the round. Then at the beginning of the next the fire truck arrives and starts putting out the flames from the previous rounds incident. The stages are HIGHLY interactive on this game - unlike ANY other 2D fighter.

Trust me man, it's good ****. Buy it now - it's cheap enough. You'll thank me for it. 8) After playing KoF'98 for a few weeks this will be PISS EASY to play and will be sooooooo addictive. I can't stop thinking about Kims AAAABBC 8-hit combo that ends with him splits-kicking the opponent mid-air. It's so easy to perform I had it bagged after the first round of play. With little time and explaining you can get your casual friends into this and make them competent players within 10 minutes. Minutes to learn, a lifetime to master. **** - I love this game and I don't have it, I need to buy it again. In the meanwhile I'm playing the ROM, right now infact, if anyone has a problem with that they can suck on one.

Never sell your Neo **** - I sold all mine to get a new guitar earlier this year and then I went all depressed until I bought another system 10 months later.

Comment

I'm never selling my Neo stuff. I stopped selling my games over a year ago. The only stuff I'm trying to get rid off now are duplicates (MLF and FFVII x2 ) and some Master System games, because I know I'm never going to get around to buying the system anyway.

I'll look into getting RB1 then (not until the end of the month, though). It's as cheap as '98 anyway.

Comment

Is your FFVII US? I'll take it off your hands if so!

I know I said LB2 was going to be my next purchase, however I'm dying for Slug3 - That'll probably be mine at the end of the month too, hopefully before the Amsterdam trip.

Comment

Fact: PS2 version of MS3 is superior. FYI I see why you'd want the AES cartridge, though. I'm going to get MS4 after MOTW... I'm NOT splashing out for the AES version of MS3 when I've had it on MVS, and I now have it on PS2.

Yes, Final Fantasy VII is US, but the manual isn't pretty, and the CD's are scratched but in working condition. Remember I live in Denmark as well... I can supply you with pictures but I doubt you'll be interested...

Comment

If you've ever played Metal Slug 1+2 before then Metal Slug 4 is a waste of time man - it's basically ****ing Metal Slug:Remix with most of the levels being composed of butchered segments from the previous games. If you can find it cheap then go for it - I personally wouldn't even spend ?5 on a port it.

I have 2 mates that have MS3 for the PS2 but I want teh proper version innit. I just want it on my shelf as a testiment and tribute to the greatest hallmark of the 16-bit generation.

I need both Real Bout 1 + 2, I've been thinking about them a lot today. I took loads of class killer screens from RB1 this morning to post on here and show you just how BEEF the game is. Unfortunately the emulator doesn't seem to have saved them anywhere. The bast.

I think I'll pass on the FFVII buddy - I want all my collection to be as mint as Marcus' - The bast.

Comment

Originally posted by Naiera
                          Fact: PS2 version of MS3 is superior. FYI ..
                          Fiction I've had both and played them lots. Don't get me wrong, MS3 is the best Neo conversion ever and I don't blame anyone for saving the dosh and going for the PS2 one but how can it be superior to the original? The PS2 version does some nice high res stuff but with a decent TV and the right age Neo, the cart looks just as clean with maybe only the yellow/red numbers looking better on PS2. The resolution differences cause some minor pixellation issues too meaning not everything blends as well. And there are very very minor animation cuts here and there. My main gripe with PS2 MS3 though is the music which is just a little weak compared to the beefy arcade sound of the Neo version. Extra modes are a waste of time and unlimited credits piss me off too
                          Seriously though, it's 99% there. You have to have played the cart loads to even notice.

Anyway - Real Bout
                          I was never a huge Fatal Fury fan but I got RB2 and it seriously impressed me. Great game. Have been playing emulated RBS since and that seems to be even better so it's right at the top of my list.
                          And after reading DavidFallows's comments I really want to get RB now. >_<

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls
                            but how can it be superior to the original?
                            Err, the Neo is 14 years old now. Does it surprise you that now there's a console out that can handle a perfect port? And saying extra modes are a waste of time is just nonsense. How it can possibly be a BAD thing that they're there is beyond me. Seriously. Get a grip.

Comment

Err, the Neo is 14 years old now. Does it surprise you that now there's a console out that can handle a perfect port?

No. I didn't say that. It impresses me that its taken this long actually but even if it was a 100% perfect port, how is a perfect port superior to the original?
                              If you think those 2 mini-games make it superior to the original, fair enough, but you didn't state that and in my opinion they're not worth more than a few minutes play and could've been a bit more interesting with more effort. IMO, a waste of time after a while. The benefits of playing the 100% perfect original arcade version on my TV outweigh those extra modes for my tastes.
                              Sorry if you don't agree. Your choice. Great conversion. But the game itself is not better than the original.

Comment

Working...
                              X