This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Japan Trip Resource Thread!

It seems that barely a week goes by, without some richeous dude planing a trip to Japan. So why don't we have a sticky topic devoted to sharing experiances and information?
    Specifically places to go and places to stay.
    Someone allready posted a link to this hotel
    Affordable Friendly Hotels in Tokyo. Our international SAKURA HOTEL & HOSTEL are conveniently located in Tokyo

we could do with some more
    This one has got good reports http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00015/index.html
    How about some hidden gems, off the beaten track, for games
    What to do at night etc
    So there u go....

Sounds good to me

Comment

Excellent idea, I shall make this sticky as you requested.

Comment

Good idea. Heres some messages I posted a few weeks back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, firstly dont go booking any flights just yet. Even when you have decided when you want to go, its best to wait for as long as you can before booking flights. When I went last year I got a return flight with Lufthansa for ?404 all in. It pays to wait.

All of the other factors depend entirely on your budget. Due to the length of the flight, and the sheer number of things to do its not worth going for anything less than 2 weeks. I went for a month last year, and intend to go for longer this time around.

Accomodation is of course dependant on budget. I stayed in 2 places, a cheap hotel that was just ?15 a night. Just a bed, tv and poor quality air conditioning unit, but it was a good cheap place to stay. Especially if youre a student watching the pennies.
        You can stay in better hotels for around ?30 however. Onsuite bathrooms, spacious, good room service and room cleaning and everything else you expect from a half decent hotel. I stayed in a hotel called Asia center of Japan, and I highly recomend it if its within your budget.

As far as living costs go, it depends on how extravagant you wish to be. Living off family mart and mcdonalds is the cheapest method, but youre not sampling any of the local cuisine that way. I recomend finding a dish you like early on in the trip, and sample as much as you can. Even if you end up buying sandwiches from Tullys or similar coffee shops, you can say you tried the food. Im not sure if you know any japanese, but I know that people can get away with pointing. Many shops have plastic models of their dishes in the window for that very reason.

Another cost you will have to contend with are transport expenses. The tokyo subway system is the best I have ever used, and is a very enjoyable experience. Easy, fast and cheap, its the only way to travel (dont even think about using taxi's, far too expensive, although some do take credit cards if youre ever desperate and out of cash). When using the subway most people in Tokyo simply buy the cheapest ticket, and settle up the difference at their stop on a fare adjustment machine. It basically tells you how much you owe, and means you dont even have to know the exact fare you need.
        The best thing to do though is buy a subway card. These magnetic cards are available at most stations, and can be bought in various amounts. They are vital though, and I couldnt have lived without one. Grab yourself a 5,000 yen card, walk straight up to the turnstyle and youre away. They work on nearly all the subway lines too, so again make alot of sense.
        Sort yourself out with a subway map before you go, as on your way from the airport to your hotel you dont want to be frantically trying to find a english map.

As far as places to go, see everything you can, experience as much as you can and dont be afraid of anything (apart from the hustlers in roppongi). My favourite place on the face of the earth though is Shibuya, teen paradise and a amazing sight. Hachiko crossing is the busiest in the world, and you can view the human stampede from the second floor of starbucks sipping coffee. Bliss.
        Of course, this being a gaming board you cant forget Akihabara. The gaming mecca, and anime/manga stores as far as the eye can see, dont miss this place. Also, Ginza and shinjuku were another 2 of my favourite places.

But AVOID ROPPONGI. That place in hell on earth, and is about as japanese as Cardiff. 100% western, its not what you go to Japan to see. At night you cant walk 10 paces without having some shifty geezer asking if you want to have a "good time" in his club. Its a very imitimidating place, and I hated it. Stay away.

If you need anymore help feel free to PM me. Hope that helps a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, heres a map that otaku84 sent me a while ago...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as booking hotels go, make sure you book before you leave. If theres one thing I wouldnt want to do again, its walking around Tokyo for hours on end, in the humid summer, carrying baggage. Its best to have a hotel room booked and ready, as you will need some sleep.

The place I stayed for the first couple of days was called Sakura Hotel, about a 20 minute walk from Akihabara. Really was nothing special, but cheap and may allow you to stay a few more precious days. English speaking staff and charming enough for the price.

Heres some good web addresses though. Its a list of a few hotels, all of varying prices and in different areas. To save a expensive, and potentially difficult phone call if you cant speak Japanese, opt for a hotel with online booking.

List 1

List 2

For flights, try these guys

My advice to you is have a serious think with your friend about what your budgets will be, how long you would like to go for and generally work out a total cost for everything. With ?400 for a flight, hotel stays and living expenses it can soon add up, and thats not including spending money.

One more thing. Avoid travel agents, and book everything yourself individually. The Thomas Cook's of this world are hideously overpriced, and each agent seems to have the same generic 'Asian travel' brochure. They are organised trips, and are whirlwind stops to say the least. By planning yourself you are always in control, and make your own decisions. Most importantly, its much cheaper.

This is the hotel I stayed in for the bulk of my trip, and it is highly recomended to all.

青山一丁目駅・乃木坂駅より徒歩5分の「ホテルアジア会館」公式サイト【最低価格でご提供中】。赤坂・六本木の繁華街へも徒歩圏の好立地なのに夜は静か。全室こだわりのシモンズベッドで安らぎのひと時をお過ごしください。【Wi-Fi完備・駐車場13台分完備】

Comment

Thanks for making this a sticky! Cheers
          I will now release your family, unharmed, as promised.

Comment

Does anyone reccomend the JR pass?, is it worth it just for Tokyo alone?
            How about things to do at night?, im going alone, (meeting a Japanese girl i knew at Uni there, for a few days) so where is good for meeting like minded folk? ( Aggressive Alcoholics)

Comment

Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger
              Does anyone reccomend the JR pass?, is it worth it just for Tokyo alone?
              How about things to do at night?, im going alone, (meeting a Japanese girl i knew at Uni there, for a few days) so where is good for meeting like minded folk? ( Aggressive Alcoholics)
              If youre just going around Tokyo forget the JR pass. You will be using the subway, so find a Metro card dispenser. Go for a 5,000Yen card and you will be sorted. Alternatively if youre only there for a few days just got for a cheaper value card. Either way, they are so useful its untrue.

A rail pass is only good if you are going around Japan.

Comment

How wheelchair friendly (or not) is Japan? Aside from the busy aspect, that is.

Comment

Wheelchair access in Tokyo seemed pretty hit and miss to me. Especially the subway. You can have two escaltors followed by a staircase then another escalator. And theres not much lift access down there as far as I could see.

As for hotels, I stayed here, and most excellent it was too.

Booked the whole thing through expedia, came to about 3 grand for two people for 11 nights. Flights, hotel and insurance. Flew via Copenhagen using Scandinavian airlines.

Comment

I dont think Japan would be very wheelchair friendly. I presume there is some kind of assistance on the subways though?

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio
                      Wheelchair access in Tokyo seemed pretty hit and miss to me. Especially the subway. You can have two escaltors followed by a staircase then another escalator. And theres not much lift access down there as far as I could see.

As for hotels, I stayed here, and most excellent it was too.

Booked the whole thing through expedia, came to about 3 grand for two people for 11 nights. Flights, hotel and insurance. Flew via Copenhagen using Scandinavian airlines.
                      Wheelchair access on the subways is excellent. Almost all JR stations have elevator access to the platforms and even the other lines around Tokyo usually do also.

When getting on and off trains the conductor provides a ramp and assists in boarding. Ramps are prevalent on most stations also.

Pavement and platform guides for the blind are to be found everywhere.

Of course if you are disabled you should check access if you plan a long trip but you will find it relatively easy to negotiate Tokyo transportation.

Disabled people are a common site on Tokyo subways travelling alone.

Comment

We could do with some more reccomended hotels
                        Can anyone help with this?

Comment

Not really a hotel, but a Ryokan. When i stayed in Japan Kimi Ryokan was a very nice traditional inn. In the centre of Ikebukuro Tokyo about 5-10 mins from the station. Nice people work there who are very helpful and all speak perfect English. About ?40 a night i thought was quite a satisfactory price. hope dat helps.

Comment

If anyone can recommend any place that might have basic cooking facilities in the room then that would be great. ^_^;

Next to youth hostels (which I can't book for 2 weeks) and apartments (which are more expensive), I can't find anything. Found one that says it does have a kitchenette but I can't get the travel agent to confirm this (but will be 700 quid for 14 nights...)

Got a nice ticket for 500 quid (includes Taxes) which will take me to Shanghai via Tokyo, so when I come back from Shanghai I can stay in Tokyo for 2 weeks. ^_^

Comment

Hotel:
                              Juyoh Hotel
                              Second cheapest in Tokyo when I went, and if you dont mind annoying whiny tourists its great, its also only 2 stops from the Akihabara, for those big into games.

Thyve got free net access, green tea machine on each floor, reasonably clean rooms, safes, and even public baths. (never tried those)

Overall a good hotel at a low price, about 2900 Yen a night, which is what? ?14?

Fantastic tip Number 1:
                              Once you have your grubby paws on your Yen cash, divide it up into catagories, such as food, fun money, accomadation, transport etc.
                              and make a seperate envelope for each catagory.

Youll find you actually save money, have more to spend in the long run, and wont waste so much. It also stops you from using food money on games.

I made about 5 envelopes, and kept each one in a different place, either in my bag or on my person, so as to minimise loss in case of theft.

Fantastic Tip number 2:
                              Its a tropical island, so prepare for high humidity and rashes on strange parts of the body.
                              Pack plenty of loose fitting cotton clothing, no polyester, and bring ointments/creams, esoecially for those mosquitos. Unless its winter, in which case humidity isnt exactly a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X