Beats of Rage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beats of Rage

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in. It's a freeware scrolling beat-em up made by some fans of Streets of Rage. It uses some King of Fighters sprites for the main characters and is available on DOS/WIN9X and someone has ported it to the DC and the PS2 as well. Apparently you can get it to work on 2000/XP but it takes some tweaking and they are working on a new version to fix this.

I downloaded the DC version last night and played through most of the first level. It's pretty good really especially considering it's free, with a good selection of moves and some nice music. Check it out if you are interested.

The downer is the links are pretty limited from the site and tend to max out. I got mine off the newsgroups but I can send someone the RAR files if they want to host it (I guess this is allowed?).

Are the three leads SNK characters as well? My beat-em-up knowledge is rubbish, to be honest.

Comment

So is mine tbh I just based it on what I read on the site. I'm sure someone else can tell you though.

Comment

Yes the 3 lead characters are snk, cant remeber who they are though... Its also ported to the XB.

Comment

bah i need somewhere to get the DC copy from, my CD-RW is buggared ft:

Comment

Originally posted by Streets Of Rage
            bah i need somewhere to get the DC copy from, my CD-RW is buggared ft:
            Gimme you address and I'll pop a copy in the post for you .

Its a great wee game. The sprites, music and levels have been lifted from other games (I assume as homage and to free some time) but all the code is theirs (the developers). Its quite a hard game. The furthest I've got to is the last boss but I only had a smidgeon of energy left and no lives or continues. I can't wait to see their next game. Apparently it'll be all their own work.

P.S. on the last level, what is the music thats playing? I know I've heard it somewhere before (I think its a Prodigy track).

Comment

Max Kula and Mary.

I played it. It's not very good.
              But that's not the point. The whole point was to make a scrolling beat 'em up engine which could be modified. They just stuck some SNK sprites in to show how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Firsty
                The whole point was to make a scrolling beat 'em up engine which could be modified. They just stuck some SNK sprites in to show how it works.
                Indeed, Infact there is already a TMNT game using the engine underway over at the dcemulation forums.

Comment

Wow, I really need to get back into the DC scene, been ages since I was on the emu forums.

Sadly, it is a big download for a 56k modem like mine. Anyone feel like posting the latest version to me in France?

Im interested to know whats happening with the TMNT game. Are there other games in the pipeline?

Regardless, its good to know there are people keeping the homebrew bedroom coder dream alive.

Comment

Working...
                  X