Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Couldn't find a topic for this, so I just thought I'd post up what I thought on here.

First off the bat, I can't understand why you cannot have a second player who uses a controller rather than a GBA. I know it's to stop hours of tinkering on screen with various command lists between two players, but to not allow it full stop is a little pointless if you ask me.

Aesthetically the game is lovely. The music score seems well produced, and the game itself looks absoloutely fantastic. Also nice to see Square Enix go back to the more 'Fantasy' looking characters ala Final Fantasy 9. The world itself seems rather pleasant too - although to be honest I have only been to a half-dozen places so far.

Gameplay wise... not so sure. Playing it through with a friend is probably a much better way to experience it, as so far all it has been a matter of is turning up somewhere, slicing some enemies, opening gates and fighting a boss. I found myself sitting there after a mere two hours of play getting incredibly bored by the whole thing. Hopefully it'll pick up later.

Just my initial thoughts. If I've missed a thread this should be in, would you moderator folk be so kind as to move this to its correct location? Ta .

Don't worry lad, there's been a JPN thread before, so this'll do for a new one

I reviewed the JPN one for this site, could you please explain the plot a little more? I gathered that there'd been a disaster, and some kind of gas had been released, and the crystals protected against this gas.

But you really need 4 players and 4 GBA's to play this game. The mad caravan-mario kart games are awesome >_<

I've watched the intro loads of times though, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Comment

Well, all that I have been instructed upon so far is that there is a gas around called the 'Miasma'. This floats around the entire world, and to keep the residents alive each town has a crystal. These crystals need to be topped up with a liquid that you gather from trees or their power will fade.

This liquid (name escapes me, but it's mythical sounding ) and its trees are guarded by monsters, so you have to travel around in your caravan gathering this liquid to protect your town's crystal. I would suspect this will lead me into many a battle.

That's all I know so far. Going to play a little more after I make a start on Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town .

Comment

Wow, my Japanese wasn't too bad then >_<

Is there something to do with a mirror, and a stream? I always spotted these words, but never understood what they were used for.

I don't think I'll pick this up on US release though, the game's far too shallow to warrant another 30+ hours on it

Comment

Yes, I feared as much .

Hmm, not too sure about this stream and mirror thing, although I do recall at one point a waterfall was mentioned. Maybe the stream feeds the trees.... dunno...

... good god... I must have started losing concentration before the game even properly began! Not a good sign

Comment

I thought them things you needed the correct element to pass were called the streams, but I had no idea where the mirrors came in.

Shikuga no Mirura if I remember correctly.

It's a game that's highly recommended if you've got a fair few players ready and willing to put the time in, but it's completely not worth it if you've not got friends with GBA's

Comment

Ahh! That's it. You can change the element of your.. err... thingy. This thingy has to match the element of a certain stream of you will not be able to pass through it! Hurrah!

I have two problems on the friends front. The first is that every single one of them is at University, whilst the second is that none of them own a GBA. I have a spare GBA I can lend someone, but due to lack of connecting cables I cannot even connect my own. I don't really think the game warrants buying a second GBA lead either , so single player mode it is.

Ah well. I have Harvest Moon and Zero Mission to cheer me up .

Comment

Is it a simple hack & slash ala Hunter\BGA? If so then I think I'll enjoy it in multiplayer.

Yesterday with two mates I cleared Hunter 2 on the Xbox from start to finish in one sitting

Comment

Well, at the moment it is coming across as a simple hack 'n slash with a bit of equipment tinkering and magic assortment thrown in. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with a good hack 'n slash now and again, but I am just finding this particular one a bit boring .

I hope it'll pick up though . I'm ever the optimist

Comment

I ordered the US version yesterday and with a swift and hopeful wind it should get here within a few days? I borrowed the Japanese version of Mr Tom (Boogoloo) and thought it was totally engrossing. I was completely sucked into the world, which Mr Matt rightly stated, is truly beautiful.

However, unlike Zelda, I couldn?t find myself playing the Japanese version for too long. I put it aside and have waited for the US version. I sadly though will be only playing on my own. There are no fellow people around to join me, but that?s okay with me. The impression I got from the playing the Japanese version was that I will enjoy it nonetheless. Maybe lacking the fun factor of playing with others, but I?m purely playing to be immersed and enlightened.
                    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                      Is it a simple hack & slash ala Hunter\BGA? If so then I think I'll enjoy it in multiplayer.
                      Pretty much pete, with some simple puzzles to solve. Very simple. :\ It's almost like Gauntlet :P

It's got a gorgeous setting though, I love the boat ranking place's music, and watching the water is really nice.

****, this is supposed to be Final Fantasy, not the discovery channel showing North Wales.

Comment

Going to give this a try in 4 player mode mode on wednesday. really looking forward to it.

Comment

I have just played out my first game year, and to give it credit I will say that it has picked up somewhat. The locations on offer are very nice indeed - from an oversized mushroom field to a disused mine they all had unique character and atmosphere.

Ended up fighting things that looked like they had been ripped out of a Warhammer game

Comment

Ahh tidy..

I was never expecting a lot from this game in single-player, as someone else said, it seems a bit like Gauntlet with a plot

Mine was shipped last Thursday from DVDBO, so itll be here this week with a bit of luck. I have 3 mates and 4 GBA's primed, fully charged and ready...

Bring it on

Comment

Can you get through the Japanese version of the game easily? Or is the plot quite heavy?

Comment

Working...
                              X