007: Everything Or Nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

007: Everything Or Nothing

EDIT: Having been disappointed at first, I'm in two minds about this game now. The targeting system isn't quite so bad as I first suspected, though the frame rate still has the tendency to suck.

Originally posted by Inertia_
    EDIT: Having been disappointed at first, I'm in two minds about this game now. The targeting system isn't quite so bad as I first suspected, though the frame rate still has the tendency to suck.
    Thought it was alright, but had too many disappointing bits to be decent. The third-person bits are okay, but the driving sections suck and many of the gimmicks are... well, too gimmicky and pointless (the rappel move, for instance - can anyone seriously tell me that it does anything other than making the map design slightly more interesting, as they can be set on different levels?).

Still, that's just my two cents and going on the current exchange rate, that's not even a penny by our standards.

Comment

Ha, who thinks of these titles? All bond movies, well the last 10 or so have well cheesey/dodgy titles dontcha think? lol Next bond will be called Now Or Never - place your bets now!!! lol

Comment

I had a sneaking suspicion that Everything Or Nothing was devised as a reference to EON - Broccoli's production company that made practically all the Bond movies. I then realised I was being far too nerdish for my own good and headbutted a wall, reaffirming my macho status.

Comment

Xbox & PS2.

This 007 game has possibly THE most intuitive control system of ANY game I've yet to play on a console, even superior to KILL SWITCH.

The implementation of the gadgets in the game world is fluid, exciting and innovative.

This is the first Bond title since the genre classic GOLDENEYE that has the real feel of a Bond film, it has superb production values, atmosphere and that sharp cutting-edge feel to it that makes the 007 franchise the pedigree in the stable.

Admittedly. I am only on level three but if the game can maintain that level of excitement, surprise and pure edge of the seat adrenaline this will be a classic across every platform.

This truly has the Broccoli stamp all over it.

TwoBells

Comment

Originally posted by Inertia_
            The fact you can 'fine tune' in the 'target lock' to any area of the body is great. Try shooting the enemy in the foot to unbalance him while you sharpen up your head shot :-)

Twobells

Comment

I have to say the Xbox version has infinitely better cutscenes and widescreen support. Thank god.

Comment

I consider myself a bit of a James Bond fan...mostly the books...and all of EA games so far have just about scraped average, hiding under the Bond licence is an incredibly mediocre Quake 3 mod...However EoN looks slightly different, but the cynic in me says its still the same old crap reworked, people were cottoning on with NightFire so they had to change the tune.

Comment

Well personally I'm loving it so far. Once I got to grips with the control/targeting system (which is actually pretty good) I found it hugely enjoyable. The Xbox version is slightly easier than PS2 and features massively improved FMV and widescreen support, though the PS2 version maintains its customary 'sharpness'.

A few points:

- the Bond feel of the game is in a different league to any previous Bond game (yes, even The Living Daylights on the C64 ). The move set and control system have clearly been devised to show off as many 007 flourishes as possible, and it works.

- the wall-climbing stuff is entirely welcome. To say it 'does nothing more than make the level design more interesting' confuses me slightly - since when was making an arcade game (which is what this is) more interesting a bad thing?

- the Bond avatar is, frankly, the best I have ever seen in a video game. The rest of the facial modelling and animation in the game is equally impressive.

- the theme tune is ****. Sounds like the kind of song they'd have at the beginning of an ITV weekend game show.

- frame rate on the Xbox suffers in the exact same places as the PS2 version, so another half-arsed port from EA

- the racing segments are, admittedly, quite basic. That said, they feature a very solid handling engine and are certainly exciting while they last.

All in all, EA have taken the multi-genre Bond games of old and given them a big budget, meticulously designed twist. This is an arcade game of superior depth rather than a stealth game of inferior depth (a fact which Edge magazine clumsily overlooked). It's also providing more fun than a great many games I've played recently.

Comment

I smell a person not looking beyond the Bond licence...

Comment

I'm looking at it as a 'Bond game', knowing that the criteria for judging said games are somewhat unique. I'll agree that AUF and Nightfire were both bog-standard FPS mods hiding behind the licence, but Everything or Nothing features a more sophisticated integration.

Besides, I'd never expect it to be the second coming - I just want a genuine 'Bond experience' which is entertaining and moderately challenging ... like this one.

Comment

Thanks for the clafication, I thought you were slipping into Star Wars game territory for a moment there. Nice to hear your feet are still on the ground.

Comment

I beta tested Galaxies for over a year. If you find me slipping into Star Wars territory you can rest assured I'll be slipping straight back out again.

Comment

well I've jus picked up the PS2 ver today, have played first couple of missions, it's definately not bad. As other ppl have said, targeting/control system is a bit of a mind bender but that seems to be becoming natural now. Looks the part and so far it's been good. Not being a big bond fan at all I'm looking at it purely from a gaming perspective, there is far worse you could spend your money on and the first section made getting it worthwhile anyway above average, below great.

Comment

SMEGHEAD said: ' there is far worse you could spend your money on and the first section made getting it worthwhile anyway above average, below great.'

Give it a little while, soon you will find it becomes 2nd nature and then you'll realize just how special this puppie is.

TB

Comment

Working...
                              X