Onimusha 3: Demons Siege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onimusha 3: Demons Siege

Am around four hours into this now and have some initial impressions. I wonder if this game has come along at the wrong time, only last week I played the impressive looking Ninja Gaiden with its natural and deep combat mechanic which makes Onimusha 3 look shallow in comparison. Or maybe thats slightly unfair as the games are quite different, but either way the shine I was expecting is missing from this, a game not entirely dissimilar to its previous two titles.

You will feel right at home playing this if you have played Oni 1 and 2. You can control the main charecters by using either the D or Analogue stick, Ive noticed though that performing certain actions with the analogue is a lot harder than the D pad, particularly the kick, but on the flipside D pad control in a 3d game like this is very clumsy and only saved due to the thoughtful inclusion of a 180 button. By holding down R1 you can activate a power-up attack or use it in combination with Square to shoot arrows and so on, whilst pressing in the R3 stick transforms yourself into a powered up version of your charecter which is now thankfully controllable rather than Oni 2 whereby as soon as you got the 5th orb you would transform automatically.

Graphically its a mixed bag. The locations are all nicely drawn and in full 3d, however I find the graphics to be rather grainy, and aside of one of two very nice effects (in particular the use of fire) there has been little to really amaze me so far. What does shine once agian, is the charecter design, both Samanoske and Jacques Blanc are nicely drawn whilst the enemies are of similar quality. Worth noting is the rather graphic but highly impressive intro sequence, I might capture this footage later on for you.

Puzzles are fortunatly easy to work out, I say fortunatly as there is no English text here, you miss out on the story details but it appears reasonaly easy to follow and so Id say this was import friendly. Use of Gamefaqs.com will be needed for non-Japanese speakers at some points though, particulary on doors which require combinations.

The relationship betweek Samanoske and Jacques Blanc is quite under-used, I think there is an awful lot of work to take place before you really feel as though you are fighting and completing tasks with a computer controlled charecter as opposed to them just being there and (amazingly annoyingly) getting in the way - many times Ive been running against a charecter in a small alleyway gradually moving them along in order to pass them, its infuriating when it happens and a glaring oversight on Capcoms behalf. The locations are mildly interesting, but it does feel very out of place seeing Samanoske in modern day France and Jacques Blanc in 15th Century Japan.

There are training modes which are tricky to work out due to the Japanese text, you are required to pull of X number of blocks, attacks or counters before completing the task. The deadly slash makes a welcome return although Ill be damned if I can figure out how to actually pull one off when wanted. The other weird addition is the fairies, Im really not sure I like these as they are kinda annoying and look very out of place, they aid in pointing out secrets, healing you or reaching out of reach objects however.

Safe to say those who liked the last two will also like this, but Im not convinced of Famitsus high rating for this or that it will convert those who didnt like previous titles at all. More as I progress, Ill capture some footage today and post it here.

Cheers MJ

It is interesting that you would draw comparisons to NG - is this borne out of the fact that it is now fully 3D, or is it because of the new emphasis on combo-based attacks/ counter attacks?

Regardless I'm still really looking forward to this game. Can you say anything about the plot (what the intro was all about, why modern day France), or would they be considered spoilers, best not to know?

Comment

Thanks for the impressions, as i loved the first two n own 2 and did own 1 i'm sure i'll like this. I had problems with the simplicity of the combat in Onimusha but always loved the thrill of fighting hordes of Demons and big grizzley bosses. Shame to hear about the partner A.I that's always a problem although i did not think Billy ws to bad in Biohazard 0, lets hope Jacques Blanc ain't to stupid as a computer there's nothin worse imo.

I look fwd to this arriving, n can't wait to get stuck into it lets hope it's longer than 1 cus that ws rather on the short side, although 2 ws much meatier. Marcus u did not metion the music in there is it repetative stuff or orchestral like the other two, i always thought Onimusha 1 and 2 had brilliant scores?

Comment

I think the main reason is that they are both within 3d environments, and to an extent are slash 'em ups, they remain quite different games though. As for the plot, its largely lost on me how it came to be set within modern France due to the Japanese aspect, which if storyline is something thats important to you then you may struggle with. As for the music, I cant say I notice it a great deal and to me thats a good thing, as I generally only take note of the music if its really bad - as it is the soundtrack seems atmospheric enough. Ive sent this off now for review so wont be able to post too much more just yet, initial impressions are that its an enjoyable game if not an outstanding one.

Comment

Thanks for the impressions. My interest in this title has been slightly dampened now, but it'll be intriguing to see how the Western release works out, and if they'll use Jean Reno's voice in the American version.

To be honest, it sounds like Capcom have pushed the Onimusha format a game too far and the series could do with a Resident Evil 4 kind of transformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
            To be honest, it sounds like Capcom have pushed the Onimusha format a game too far and the series could do with a Resident Evil 4 kind of transformation.
            If only that was on the cards, this is sadly the last game in the series (they say)

Comment

It sounds like Marcus has been spoilt by the tasty Gaiden candy.

Comment

I dont know Chaser, its just with the Onimusha series, I played and loved the first game, I enjoyed the second which built suitably upon the first, but for the third I was hoping for something more and so far it hasnt delivered that. For me to be impressed once isnt too hard, twice, more effort needs to be put in, but for whats essentially the same game to come out a third time and still impress me to any real extent is asking a lot for any game and I think thats why Im rather downbeat on it.

Comment

Then how do you feel about Resident evil. I think in all those years of sequelitis the only innovation they were able to come up with was a dodge button and a quick spin button. Save for whatever true innovations occur in RE4. If the overall gameplay is solid. I'd give Capcom a pass on it not being Ninja Gaiden.

I realize when everything is compared to Ninja Gaiden it can be unfair. After all Ninja Gaiden is the newest greatest perfect tightest most fun action game ever and I respect Tecmo for that I do. But if I want Ninja Gaiden I'll play Ninja Gaiden. Onimusha doesn't pretend to be a ninja action game. It is a Resident Evil styled game set in ancient japan and modern france. And from what I remember Resident Evil wasn't Ninja Gaiden either.

/end Capcom defense rant

Comment

I feel exactly the same about Resident Evil as I do with Onimusha, and I pray that Bio/RE4 can bring something new to the table. Its just me, I cant keep on playing slightly different versions of whats essentially the same game over and over, I become bored and the series stagnates and becomes uninteresting. With regards to Ninja gaiden, its the same kind of feeling you would get say if for years of driving a VW Golf you get to spend a day with a Ferrarri, whilst the love you had for your old runaround remains you cant but long again for the taste of that something new and exciting. How many times is it ok to play a slight deviation on the same old game but with a different location and storyline? Ive found that the golden number is 3, after that unless some real innovation is delivered by that time I no longer care much for the game, I just cant be spoonfed the same gaming experience forever.

Apologies for deviating there, Ill only post specifically on Onimusha 3 from now on

Comment

That's a good point. But admit it, the opening movie. It kicked ass right?

Comment

That opening movie is by far the most impressive, stunningly choreographed piece of CG I've ever seen.

And this is not an exaggeration.

Comment

Marcus, I was referring to the graphical aspects of the 2 games. Obviously after the sharp silky graphics of Gaiden, Onimusha3 looks distinctly second rate. I guess an XB version would be able to bump the graphics up a bit, with some anti-aliasing etc...

Its not as simple as that though. Obviously Gaiden is state of thr art in movement and control, whereas Onimusha is a bit stale mechanics wise. No doubt though, both are worthwile experiences and action fans must be salivating at the prospect.

Comment

The Onimusha games have always had cutting-edge opening movies, in particular Onimusha 2. They have also had superb charecter design, which Oni 3 would appear to have also, initially at least. The game mechanics do seem basic compared to the scope of Gaiden I agree, my main gripe is that Im having to use the D-Pad to get the full range of moves at my disposal as Ive found using the analogue to be rather hit and miss. That could just be me though, Ill look to see what others think.

Comment

Had this since Tues first impressions r 3d backgrounds allow more interaction with scenary and look a whole lot better than the back drops of before. With this vers steering away from it's traditional Japanese theme i think in some ways good in some ways not, but the variation of using Jaques whip and Samanoskes swords is a nice change and adds a bit of variety. Marcus has already said most stuff uptop.

If u have played 1 and 2 u know what to expect, the trading from Onimusha 2 has gone, thank god as this part use to annoy me, for the most part Onimusha 3 is all out action. The new weapons r quite cool, Samanoske has some great double swords, although I question Jean Renos 2nd whip, which is strangely a complete rip off of Ivys whip in SC2, which i don't quite understand.

His whip is very good tho and has sum great abilities for example tying it around enemies and shooting them or throwing them gives a strange sense of satifaction, as well as this the whip allows u to swing across casums which feels quite uninvolving as u have no control of where he is swinging, but is quite cool to look at. The puzzles r quite good so far just shifting blocks into place to line them up which is not to taxing but does take sum thought.

Again this is more of the same which is not a bad thing i find it fun to play and enjoyed the last two, i have always thought the Onimusha series makes a nice change from all the guns of Biohazard. The bosses so far don't seem that good the 1st boss a robot is quite shocking but i'm yet to see anymore bosses to make more judement on these as of yet

Comment

Working...
                              X