Virtua Racing -Flat Out-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtua Racing -Flat Out-

Just recieved it today from play asia and have been playing it for around half an hour and first impressions are pretty good. Lets get the graphics out of the way first, is it arcade perfect? Well looking at the arcade pics i would say yes and has been improved upon in some areas. First of it runs at 60fps and they also added new lighting effects and refelections which can look a little naff in places. Draw distance hasn`t been improved upon from the arcade which is a shame really. Is it as good as i remembered? well no, it shows how far racing games have come on, but never the less it`s still pretty good for a quick session here and there. They have added 3 new courses now which are island, mountain and beltway and aren`t bad tracks either. Also theres the edition of 4 new cars as well which you have to unlock by doing grandprix mode. There is support for force feedback but haven`t got round to trying it out yet. All menus are in english and works fine with the ps2 flip top. One annoying thing i found though is that the screeching of tyres fx is to loud and you can pretty much here it through the whole lap and can get very annoying. Overall though it the best conversion your gonna get of this title and is well worth the ?15 price tag.

update: Just tried it with the gt force feedback and the handling feels alot better than the pad which can be twitchy and unsatisfying. The force feedback works pretty well and the car handles alot better.

dont really see the point in adding reflections considering its so low-poly :P

Anyway, thanks for the heads up - never liked VR racing myself but i may be tempted.

Comment

I expect i might get mine on monday. I just cant wait to see the majesty of some flat shaded polys! You gotta love 'em. I wish more games this gen would use them as i think they look absolutely lush!

Comment

Lets see if you think they look lush when you see it in action . You will notice though that the ps2 version does suffer from jaggies which takes some of the sheen away from the graphics which i can`t remember in the arcade version. I actually remember the game looking alot better than this but when i revisted arcade pics i realise that it doesn`t. Also the bad draw distance can take some getting use to as well after being spoiled with the like of daytona 2001, pgr2 etc. Still a great racer though at the end of day but has aged more than i thought it had

Comment

Picking my copy from the depot this morning.
          Looking forward to hearing 'TIME BONUS' again!

Comment

My copy arrived this morning Quite simply its still JMHO a beautiful looking game . Im Feeling quite misty eyed and nostalgic playing it

First impressions is that the handling is quite loose but maybe thats cause Ive not played it in years and that I just need to get used to it all over again . Sure there is plenty of pop up but that just adds to the authenticity of it all , I remember there being pop up in the arcade version of it .

Absolutely mint conversion , gorgeous looking , Im happy

Now heres hoping for a full on 100% Daytona conversion

Comment

Sod Daytona 1, I want a Daytona 2 conversion.

Comment

Sounds like I won't be burning Segas Japanese HQ this April then. ft:

Comment

Awesome, I remember getting this game back in '93 for the megadrive paid top money too, was a blast - can't wait for this nigh on arcade perfection editon then!

Comment

Me too Max Power , I cant believe we paid was it ?69.99 for the MD version !!!

Comment

Just quickly played it this morning...
                      It plays well fast but the controls seem a little sluggish.
                      I don't remember having to slow down or brake round any of the corners of the first track.

Comment

I finally managed to get a 32X working and found the 32X ver for ?2 and thought it was pretty fun might have to pick this up sometime.

Comment

I have been waiting for this game for so long, th earcade is one of my all time favourite driving cabs and also having had the md and 32x versions and.....it's good, very good but the car did not rotate as much as it does when turning, which unfortuately makes playing from the in car view impossible as the car actually pivots around an axis in the middle of the car. Shame, one day sega will not tinker with their games like this. The rest of the conversion is impecable but I cant help feeling it isnt quite right because of this rotation, the exessive tyre noise and the fact that some of the time extension music doesnt quite play for long enough and there is no sound test but it is so smooth and from behind or above and behind it is pretty much the definitve version and besides, you couldnt play the 32x or md versions from inside the car anyway.

Comment

I loved VirtuaRacing and if the game comes cheap I will certainly buy it, but are there more classic games from Sega in the pipeline for re-release ? if so really really really want SCUD RACER !!! best arcaderacing game I've ever played..

Comment

can anybody actually win the championship with the drift type car?
                              it was so easy till that one....i'm just getting totally battered.
                              i can win the second course, and sometimes the fourth one, but all the others i'm lucky to nab 3rd. with first at least half a lap ahead.

Comment

Working...
                              X