Is Chrono Cross a good game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Chrono Cross a good game?

Just bought this on a whim and it's turned up this morning thank god.

Big fan of FFVII + FFT. Is this gonna rock my boat?

Non-spoiler replies please.

I haven't played it myself, but I know plenty of people that have who adore it. I would say that, seeing as you are a fan of FFVII (great game, innit? ) it is a pretty safe bet it will..err.. sink your pink .

Comment

I played it a while ago - dont like it half as much as Xenogears, FF7 and Tactics but it's still pretty engrossing and there are LOADS of characters to find!

Comment

Its fun enough, but not a patch on Squares other non-ff output of the period. </xenogearsfanboy>

Comment

Compared to the other RPG's on the PS1, this game is ****ING ****.

Main character who doesn't utter a word throughout the game, diluted plot, semi-decent combat system (which doesn't advance enough, so you never get that Ultimate character(s)), loads of characters means you never warm to any of them (and they all say the same things, but in their own dialect).

However, it's got a few nice bits. Excellent music, and some sections are really 'warming'. If you get what I mean

Seriously though, play Xenogears, FF7/8/9, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics before you play this. It ain't worth playing above any of them games.

Comment

I chuffing love this game. The battle system is class and is very customiseable. Lots of weapons and a full rota of characters to find. I just warm to this game and still play it from time to time when I have had it since day of release.

enjoy !

Comment

Chrono Cross is a fantastic game. If Trigger's a 10/10, Cross is a 9/10.

Comment

Heh! What a mix of opinion!

I'll find out for myself in around 30mins.

Also just biddededed on Xenogears due to the mass of good feedback on it.

Comment

Brilliant, original and atmospheric, though it's different from CT.

Comment

I enjoyed this game a lot, but it could have been so much better had there been less characters. Most of them are pretty inventive and original, but like has been said already you don't feel particularly close to any of them by the end of the game.

It's a shame because the game has a great style and one of the best battle systems I can remember using.

Comment

It's ok - I'll just opt for the characters with the coolest costumes, or beards.

Comment

Did anyone find a reason for getting all characters?

BTW, this is retro, and shall be teleported there now ^_^

Comment

Just go for Chorno Trigger

Comment

Loved the visuals and music, but the battle system was terrible. Dull, easy and no fun. Most of the characters were a joke too.

I played Chrono Trigger for the first time a few months back, on an xbox emulator. It was an even easier game than the sequel but I really liked it. Along with Snatcher (also on a xbox emu) it was probably one of the best games I had played since Halo.

Comment

I enjoyed it. Of course as a Square game, presentation is top notch (with my man Mitsuda on the music... 8) ).

The combat system is one of the best I've seen in an RPG and the level of customisation is good.

I had an issue with the main character, too. The story itself is good, but his perpetual silence completely kills it. There's a particularly prominent twist later on whose impact is is spoilt purely by this (Square has a bad habit of cutting corners with it's non-FF RPGs...).

I disagree with the posts about not feeling attached to any of the characters. Though not deep, there was enough characterisation and backstory for this to work.

Chrono Trigger is pretty good, too. I like them both the same, in fact. The main character is mute in that, too but it doesn't seem to matter so much in that game. And he doesn't have a stupid bandana, stupid shorts and stupid face.

Yes, Serge is one of my least favourite game characters.

Comment

Working...
                              X