Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C64 thread inc. mini reviews and GP32 info :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C64 thread inc. mini reviews and GP32 info :)

Okay, depending on if this is 'popular' or not I might continue through to Z! Feel free to add comments or mention anthing I missed - obviously this is a list of games I play(ed).

If I know 100% it works on GP32 I've mentioned that too

Games can be found here: http://web.externet.hu/sk/c64/ (feel free to delete if it's naugty to list this addy)

Ratings:

- Might be worth a look
    - Should give it a go
    - Def worth a pop
    - You HAVE to try it...NOW!

Aliens (works on GP32)

Probably one of the first 'FPS' type games - You take control of six charaters from the film, independantly control each one as you try to find your way out of the 'building'. lot's of atmosphere esp with the sensor 'beeping' when an Alien is in the same room, and if you die the screen turns to 'snow' just like in the film!

I def. recomend this game - playable with the GP32 - altho a little bit of a pain to switch who you're controlling as you need to use the keyboard (which can be fiddly)...but still worth a play.

Alter ego

More of a role-play adventure, where you go through life (from birth - yes - inside the womb even!) to death making descisions along the way that affect your persona. This is all displayed in a sort of 'family tree' text style.

Certainly an original title if a little tedious after a while - one I think all should check out if they get the chance.

Attack of the mutant camels (works on GP32)

Imagine Empire Strikes Back, substitute AT-ATs from camels (!?) and snow for a desert scenary, that's AotMC! You take control of a ship in this fast shooting game (similar in style to Defender) - approach the oncoming wave of camels and shoot them before they reach the base.

Lot's of fast, good action and one of my Fav C64 games...works a treat on the GP32 to boot

Ballblazer - Lucasfilm, 1985

Futuristic football game in which it's one on one. You control a 'craft' and must pick up the ball (which floats above the pitch) and shoot into the ever moving goals. The ball is kept in play by invisible force fields which you can use to bounce the ball off past the opponent into the goal!

As you score (more points the further out you are) the goal gets smaller - this all may sound strange - but's it's a gem of a game and can be great fun.

BCs Quest for tyres - Sierra, 1983

Where to start with this one? This was one of the first games I played when I got my C64. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. You have to rescue the damsel in distress but avoiding obsticals along the way.

Think Hunchback with scrolling scenary rather that 'screen by screen'..great game and worth a play.

Beach head - Access, 1983

Classic game, has a nice mixture of gameplays with a battleships type part where you have to get to projectory of your shots right and ship the ships before they sink you - along with a Zaxxon style tank bit and more!

Def. worth a play from my POV - give it a try.

Beach head 2 - Access, 1985

Take a classic, add a dash of better graphics and a sprinkling of speach. This game has the same idea of mixed styles of gameplay - all new...and all good.

Beyond the Forbidden Forest - Cosmi, 1983 (works on GP32)

Advertised as a 4D game this (in a way) was! The 4th dimension being time...and this game had that - it improves on the original (which is still a great game).

You have to go through the 'forbidden forest' slaying all the weird creature along the way (man sized scorpions, giant earth worm type things al la 'Tremors' etc) collecting golden arrows along the way. The game features night and day action and is atmospheric and gory as hell!

The charater can move in and out of the scenary which adds real depth (groan!)...shooting into and out of the scenary.

Blagger - Aligator 198?

Along with the Jet set willy games came the one I used to play - Blagger. A great platformer (if you like that type of thing!).

BMX Simulator - Codemasters, 198? (1&2) (works on GP32)

Super Sprint on the C64 just didn't work - along came BMX Sim which was basically SS on BMXs! Great fun and looks nice too!

Bomb Jack (works on GP32)

Good arcade conversion - 'nuff said!

Boulder Dash - First Star, 1984 (works on GP32)

Should need no introduction, you go around increasingly harder caves collecting diamonds - being careful boulders don't squish you!

This game was called Repton on other formats - IMO this was the best version, and there's (litterly) 100s of caves out there AND it plays brilliantly on the GP32

Bounder - Gremlin, 1985

Control the bouncy ball over various scrolling terrain, get from start to finish by not punchering the ball - or missing the safe 'ground' and plumeting to certain puncheredness!!

Good little game worth a spin (another groan!).

Bruce Lee - Datasoft, 1984

A classic, great puzzle/fighting/platform game - completed in about 20 mins (IIRC) and worth playing right through. A twist is that in 2 player mode, player 2 can control one of the baddies![/img]

Cool. I love talking C64. Taking the rose-tints off, I'd have to disagree with two of your selections:

BMX Simulator:
    None of the sliding action of SS, the computer riders are on rails, and the slightest contact with any of them causes you to fall off. Very frustrating.

Bomb Jack:
    Terrible arcade conversion. The sprites are far too big, changing the whole game mechanic. The frantic intricate weaving between enemies and platforms that makes the arcade original version so much fun is impossible in the C64 version. The far superior Spectrum version, on the other hand ...

Keep it up

Jay

Comment

Can I recommend Beamrider, a shmup that gets progressively harder. Has some nice ideas and is pseudo 3D. This screenshot is a bit lame cos its taken when there is nothing going on:

Also, Bobby Bearing, a great ball bearing game, with nice physics, but quite difficult.

A special mention should go to Boulderdash 43..... most sequels ever?

There is also highly fun 2player only game called Bounces that was released on the cover of ZZAP64 for free. We used to play this for hours. 2 knights (obviously!!?!!) are attached to the sides of the screen by ropes that, if you dont move the joysick, drag you back towards the sides. If you push towards the other player, you move slowly towards. If you push back towards your wall, you move quickly (aided by the rope). You both have scoops (look like swords) and attempt to hit the other person with a ball that bounces off the walls and roof. Give it a go!

Comment

That last one looks an awful lot like a Spectrum screenshot!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
          Can I recommend Beamrider, a shmup that gets progressively harder. Has some nice ideas and is pseudo 3D.
          Thats based on the obscure Juno First arcade game by Konami, which was a strange take on Defender.

Worth checking out if you liked Beamrider, Juno First is a better game.

Comment

Not sure which one is the "last one" Darwock, cos I was editing and adding. But both Bobby and Bounces actually looked like that on the C64.

Papercut, is Juno First part of the usual mame romset?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
              Papercut, is Juno First part of the usual mame romset?
              Yeah, its been around in mame (and the windows phoenix emu) since 1998 or so.

I'm fairly sure Bounces had a real release before appearing on a Zzap megatape too.

Its suprising the amount of C64 schmups released aroung 1985 - 1987 that were actually based on arcade games, eg. Crazy Comets, Warhawk, Thrust, Lightforce, etc. These games were a lot more impressive when they seemed more original.

At least Mega Apocalype takes Mad Planets and does something new (and better). So does Thrust, thinking about it (improving on Gravitar, taking elements from Asteroids Deluxe along the way).

Comment

Thrust. [Eyes glaze over]Oh the times I had playing that...[/Eyes glaze over] And the amazing invisible level. Use the force to navigate that one...
                English_bloke. Keep em coming!

Comment

Did you ever get a new internal fuse for your C64?

I meant to ask about that aaages ago

Comment

glad u guys like it...thanks for the extra input

guess I'll stick in some more soon.

papercut what's this fuse you talk about?

did I mention I have the original bull-dog nosed version, alone with tape-deck, 1541 and too many games all boxed in my loft :P

I love this baby!!

Comment

sorry, I meant charlesr. His C64 is missing an internal fuse.

Comment

what's the rating/size...might have one about at work...

Comment

It's not very much... can't remember what value though, it's been a long time since I had to replace one (and I've blown a couple in the 20 odd years I'd had C64s).

My personal top 10 C64 games... most should be familiar to fans
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

English_bloke. It's whatever fuse gets used in the C64S (It's stills sitting on my desk Papercut! Never got around to it. I guess I would have done if it was my only C64). I can't remember exactly what happened. I think it stopped working one day and I sent it off to be repaired (I didn't know about tech stuff back then - actually, I still don't ) and they charged me money to look at it and said they couldn't fix it. When Papercut came round he kindly had a look and without even opening it, noticed that THE FUSE WASNT EVEN THERE! Bloody cowboy repair peeps....
                            So I would be much obliged if you could send me a replacement fuse.

Comment

Mayhem. Agreed on Dropzone. My fave C64 game by far.

Comment

Working...
                              X