[GBA] R-Type III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GBA] R-Type III

I only managed to have about 15 mins on this today but from what I can see they've ****ed it up.

A bit harsh? Maybe, and I could be proven wrong with extended play but there are a few things even before you hit the actual gameply which bugged me.

The front end looked very average indeed and doesn't have the pazazz of a newly programmed version of this series. Options are threadbare with Sound/Music on or off and Credits.

Starting a game and you can't skip things, not that there was much front end to skip and the music is some of the worst I have heard!!

Graphically it looked poor for the GBA (is it a straight port from the SNES?) with no frills attached to make this version stand out.

Another thing that annoyed me was the lack of ability to press a button to bring back the Force properly - I had to go and retrieve the ****ing thing! Surely this ****s up some of our favourite tactics.

Utterly disappointed at the moment.

You're quite right, it's a piece of ****. The collision detection is hilariously bad.

Comment

Hmm, so i've heard. Probably won't give this a go then. R-Type DX on GBC was ok, if missing things from the arcade version. Iridion 2 is probably the best bet for GBA handheld shmupping that i've played.

Comment

One of the developers - possibly - posted an explanation as to why it's so bad on the SHMUPS message board. Scroll down the page; posts from 'Snake'.

Comment

Iridion 2 is a great GBA shooter if you can find it, good scoring system for accuracy etc and a online ranking website @ www.iridion2.com - I was 24th last time I looked.
          It's even better via a GBA Player on a decent sized screen.

EDIT: 28th out of 175 entrants, not too sad

Comment

Originally posted by E. Randy Dupre
            One of the developers - possibly - posted an explanation as to why it's so bad on the SHMUPS message board. Scroll down the page; posts from 'Snake'.
            Beggars belief really. The publishers (and developers) knew they had a piss poor game on their hands and still released it.

No wonder it didn't "feel" like an R-Type game. They had no source reference material to work from. It's like trying to hand draw something when a photo would have been better.

Should never have been released.

Comment

Working...
            X