The King Of Fighters 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The King Of Fighters 2003

Got this yesterday. Quite impressed. I'm not saying this is the new '98 here but I think I prefer this to '01 and '02.
    For those who don't know, its got a new character swap type striker system - BC and CD swap between your 3 characters Capcom stylee during a match, which consists of one round. When a character is down, another jumps in. You can also use one gauge level to perform a sort of striker swap with qcf + BC/CD. This all seems very different at first and unless I'm mistaken, your characters don't recover as in Capcom style 3 on 3's which kinda left me wondering what the point is. After a while though, I did get into it. The idea of the new system seems to be to encourage more hectic non-stop tag-team gameplay where you can choose who to pit against who and it really is quite cool keeping your striker in the fight and jumping in with a combo. The hectic 1 round thing works a treat with the difficulty cranked up. It might not be for everyone but I was always a fan of the strikers and I find this refreshing.
    The new additions to the roster are pretty interesting too, and Tizoc looks good (don't expect MOTW effects though obviously), speaking of which Terry has his MOTW jacket which is a nice idea, even if it does look less than perfect. MOTW phrases too.
    The game appears to use the SVC "engine", but to much better effect (probably due to sprite sizes) and it still looks like a KOF. Not the sort of KOF graphics of SNK at their best but better than the last 2 IMO.
    Which brings me onto backgrounds - much nicer than 01 and 02, great to see at last.
    Music is a mixed bag but nothing too painful. Character select looks the business but a bit of effort with the main menu would've been nice Playmore and for some bizarre reason there?s no Neo Geo intro Pretty minor faults though I really do quite like this one

Sounds nice, but does terry have his Rising Tackle?

Where did you get this from btw?

Comment

"Rising Taco!"

If i remember correctly, Super Monkey Balls mentioned that he purchased it from the NeoGeo.com store.

I was thinking of getting this game, as i want a big-money NGH game to bless my machine with. Garou: MoTW is still top priority in my want list; but the likelyhood of getting it is not looking too good.
      So barring Garou, it's either KoF 2003/ Martrimelee/ KoF 99' or waiting for Samurai Spirits Zero Special.

Thanks for the impressions by the way
      Certainly makes a change from:

"OmGzz this gamez broke with Duo Lon/ King and teh 1nfinitez!!1"
      "WtF wit dat ghey Ash?!"
      ad infinitum...

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
        I was thinking of getting this game, as i want a big-money NGH game to bless my machine with. Garou: MoTW is still top priority in my want list; but the likelyhood of getting it is not looking too good.
        So barring Garou, it's either KoF 2003/ Martrimelee/ KoF 99' or waiting for Samurai Spirits Zero Special..
        Seriously, MOTW and '99 (my personal favourite KOF) are way more essential but I do think 03 is a lot better than Matrimelee, KOF 01, 02, ROTD and SVC (although SVC is growing on me more and moe despite its flaws). And I very much doubt SS0 Special will get a home release btw.
        And yes, I got it from neostore as with all my pre-orders. Top site. Pity this will probably be my last

Comment

Delete me

Comment

Delete me ft:

Comment

My KOF03 cart arrived the other day and I've given it a quick play.

Impressions - wow!

The game is much faster than '98 or '99 and the tag in is brilliantly implemented. The games seem to go on as long as SvC matches, which is a good thing. The matches feel more intense rather than the stop start of the traditional three on three.

The game is not as fast as ROTD however. In fact ROTD comparisons are not completely unfounded. There is also a qcf + tag attack which can be useful to get out of a tight corner or for linking moves.

Duo Lon - this character has been discussed to death about him being 'broken' etc. This only matters if you're playing competitively and I think it's safe to assume that most of us aren't. In this case Duo Lon is a fantastic addition. Not only does he look cool (always a bonus) but he has some fantastic moves. His teleport is faster than either K's or Athenas. His odd kick up moves are an excellent way of keeping a good distance away from the grapplers. Playing as Duo Lon just feels stylish.

Backgrounds - not as hit and miss as SvC and they have quite a dark feel to them. This feels like a 'grown up' serious fighter.

Overall I have to say the game is fantastic. The change of pace is nice and the new characters are excellent. The game is just fun to play.

Comment

I think I'll be picking this up now, the PCB is down to $89 and the cart is $52 at ECL, Both brand new.

Why has the price fallen so drastically, is it unpopular in the arcades or something? Even SVC CHaos (which is ****e imo) costs $50 more than it!!

Comment

MVS is like that. SVC was a massive release for Playmore and started off with a huge price tag. Over $1000 for the PCB I think. And the MVS hasn't been out that long.

Comment

Working...
                  X