Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Robo: Battle Revolution

How do folks....

Thanks to Kubrick, I got this the other day. Fairly decent game so far, nothing special but still pretty cool all the same

Basically, the core gameplay is versus mecha battles, where you play for more parts to customise your battle suit. Forgive me if I get all the terminology wrong, I have no experience of the series and it's an NTSC-J version so some of the text is wasted on me

The bulk of the title comes in the form of an adventure mode, were the player assumes the role of a young boy, who comes across a battle suit and goes to work 'doing things' like helping people out, investigating stuff, etc... which usually boils down to a battle of some kind. Win, and you get more parts, lose and... well, you can try again Progress is saved after each encounter...

The adventure stuff is fairly basic overall, you can't really go wrong with it. Lot's of text, so anyone wary of the language should probably avoid -- there are a few exams too, as you're trained in the ways of Custom Robo fighting. The overall world map is a simple point-to-point affair, so it's not like you can get lost. For the most part, the game involves going to your boss, finding out where you have to go next and then having a scrap with some other mechs

Battles play out well, viewed from above a virtual arena, kinda like Powerstone. Battles start with your mech being fired from a gun, across the arena; here, your mech is just a cube, which needs to 'start-up' before you can begin fighting. This may take some time, depending on how your cube lands but button-mashing helps. Once you're up, start shooting Even if the other mech isn't 'awake' yet, go for it anyway (so make sure you're up first, as this works the other way around too!).

Controls are straight forward enough, with jump/boost, two-fire buttons for each gun, a 'launch' button for the 'Pod' (fancy missile firing thing on your back) and a 'dash' attack. A targeting button is there for multi-mech fights, to switch aim.

Lots of different stats affect the mechs in game, like weight, guns, overall speed, how much damage you take before falling down, jump ability, etc... all the usually stuff. The mecha in game can be equipped with extra stuff too, to suit one's individual play-style (I'm playing with a light-air frame, with a high boost -- I can make it around most arenas in the air, firing from above ). Different guns fire different projectiles, etc.. and have their own stats and so on. It's all very Pok?mon in nature

There are a few other game modes too, like a tournament mode (locked at the minute, I assume it is playable once adventure is complete) and versus fights (4-players).

Graphics are functional, for the most part. Looks like a Dreamcast title (not a bad thing, looks nice -- like Skies of Arcadia), until you hit a battle arena, then there are some better graphics on show, especially the mechs themselves, which look damn fine.

Like I said, it's a fairly decent game. From what I've played so far, it isn't as deep a fighting game as Virtual On, nor is it as technically accomplished as other titles in the genre but it is a fun little title all the same, especially if you're that way inclined

Any fans of the series out there?? I'd like to know more about the franchise as a whole, how this compares to the previous games, etc...

There is a GBA game too, IIRC (can't check at work)... anybody had a go?

Comment

I've played this at a demo pod over here, not played too much mind, the monitor is way above my head and extended play hurts my neck. Only thing I can comment on really is the presentation which seems sound, lots of options and multiplayer fanfare. Graphics are ok, very smooth but like you Marklar, I don't know too much about this series.

Comment

Series wise I know of Custom Robo & Custom Robo v2 both released in Japan only for the N64. I'm waiting on an ebay seller for the first N64 title but from what I've read it's very similar to the GC title.

Comment

Cool! I checked out the FAQ actually, for the v2 N64 game and from what I've read, it is essentially the same game play format. Might help a few people out in understanding the game, those with NTSC-J versions.

Some seriously heavy fighting, later on in the title. I almost got pwn3d last time I played, looks like there are some decent combos to the weapons on offer, let alone the way the mechs move -- it was intense!

edit: When playing with the config. of your mech, you can try out the different weapons by pressing the 'R' shoulder button. Puts you straight into an arena to kick some AI drone arse, until you get bored.

Still won though, so it can't be that hard a title 'cos I'm usually crap at these style of fighters Although, I've no idea how long the adventure mode is so I may suddenly jump in difficulty very quickly.

Your team mate, in game, is well funny though -- he chats up every bird he comes across, even though he's a right geek

Comment

I've been following this for quite a while now, I just instantly like the sound of it, especially the multiplayer aspect. Robots, guns, jetpacks..that'll do

Judging from what taurusnipple just said, it's on its way to the US, how about in Europe? I'm very tempted to snatch the Japanese version off ebay, but if I'm going to miss out on the story and other gameplay details, then It'd be more sensible to wait for the Us or Euro version...

Wait..should I have said that on NTSC-uk...? :P

Comment

It is out in the US on may 10th (my birthday for anyone wishing to buy me a copy... )

Comment

I'd say go for the US version if you're hooked on the story. Adventure seems a bit light weight to me, just a veihicle to get more parts with the games strength being in the battles. Which leads nicely into the extra modes open on completion

Comment

What is the music like?

Comment

During adventure mode, typical RPG-style stuff. Nothing epic, just nice Battles are much faster paced and aggresive, with a slight VO undertone. Pretty much as you'd expect really!

Comment

I picked up this game over the weekend. So far it's pretty cool.

I'm probably not too far into the game, but as far as I am you can't lose battles. If you do lose, you're put right back to the beginning of the sequence before the battle?many times having to go through a "here's a few tips" conversation again. It would have been better if you were allowed to lose, which would affect the storyline.

I would have been a lot more pleased if the story sequences were done in isometric 2D or cell-shading. It would have looked a lot cleaner, and been more consistent with the character art [which is dodgy]. I don't like 3D unless it's really needed?and there's no need for it here. The extent of your interaction with the environment is approach object/person and press A to search/talk, which can be done well enough in isometric 2D.

But, the game is still fun. The battles are quick and enjoyable. And there's more than enough parts/bodies/guns to provide some real variety. Most of the arenas are plain, but a few so far have environment hazards/quirks that can be used strategically. I look forward to playing this multiplayer.

Comment

I picked up the full game a few days ago too, 1st for the series.

I like it, not too far into the game yet, but from what I've seen its like playing a Manga/Cybercity meets the Matrix type of game. Thing is though, I can tell this right away too, the game lacks ambition. This could easily have been this huge must have title, instead its just good IMO. The character interaction bits (kinda rpg) are full of life, with very likeable people & humour and the rooms you visit are full of detail, its all nice. I've had fun with the battles I've had, and I look forward to playing more but ...lacks ambition, its a very compact game, though thats not a bad thing, its just, for me, a missed oppurtunity. I can see this series being better.
                        Last edited by taurusnipple; 20-05-2004, 12:20.

Comment

I've always liked the idea of the Custom Robo series, what with me being a sucker for 'custom' anything.

I thought the N64 games had all the right ingredients to be The Next Pokemon - loads of collectage, player customisation, competitive multiplayer and a big-ass RPG to boot. So when CR:BR was announced, I was naturally hoping Nintendo would pull out all the stops.

A full-on RPG world...
                          Just under a squillion robot parts to find...
                          Some parts of near-legendary obscurity, to keep rumours flowing and stratify player ability...
                          Crazy extra **** too, like a password-based trading system a la Animal Crossing...

Maybe even multiple 'versions' of the game, like Pokemon, to force player interaction and really sweeten the collectage.

Finally, a enormous marketing Blitzkrieg to hook the entire world and complete the 'Pokemon treatment'. But now we're talking fantasy.

As good as CR:BR will be, I get the feeling Nintendo haven't followed my infallible masterplan. This series could be one of their main franchises, imo, not just a curiosity. Ah well... it still sounds like good fun.
                          Last edited by Tig; 19-05-2004, 22:44.

Comment

I'm a lot further in now and its an under-rated title from my experiance.

Like I mentioned before, the characters are full of humour and its brought the game to life. I love your boss, whenever he gets stumped for words he reverses out of the room through the back door on his chair. Class when you see it. That flirty kid Maklar was talking about, he doesn't stop shouting, in fact it seems theres always somebody there ready for a good shout.

Combat isn't this button mashing crap I've heard people say. If you read what the specific parts of your robo do, you'll see everything has a place and you can change your tactics to what you've customized. Guns that can shoot round corners, you can complement that with using bombs to fire over walls with, add some boots where you can increase you speed (either in air or on ground) and you've got a robo that will bombard the enemy - from cover. My current setup is the shotgun (powerful 1-hit knockdown, but very short ranged) which means I've got to customize my robo to get into close combat.

With so many options availble to you, the game takes on new life when you think about what your doing. Theres pod weapons that act as mines, pods which you can use to corner a robo with...its nuts. Seriously, don't let the masses tell you otherwise, its a very tactical game if you put the time into it. Sure you can play it the button mashing way, but your not playing it the right way & your enjoyment & appreciation of this game will suffer.

Gripe of the moment is 2 on 2 battles. Too chaotic, I've lost sight of my robo and been beaten to a pulp as a result, very hard to follow whats going on there, reckon arenas need to be bigger for this to work right. All those tactics I was talking about are very hard to implement in that chaos.

Comment

Working...
                            X