Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick Dangerous

https://<a href="http://leonard.oxg....ick32.html</a>

brilliant game. still hard as hell...especially using keys.

WWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh!

2 secs later

5 secs later

3 secs later

Comment

Heheh. Loved this on the Amiga - I only had RD2 though, which was kind of sci-fi themed. About the furthest I could ever get was 3 levels into it/ You just have to play it a few times to learn where half the traps/shortcuts/stuff you can blow up are.

Comment

Heh heh, that's awesome... getting no sound, though

I hope somebody does Switchblade next

Comment

I used to like this game too, but you'd never get away with it today. It has far too many gameplay tenets of a former age.

The trial and error nature of death and progression would be frowned upon, in particular.

Comment

i had a pirate version with infinite lives and i still found it bloody all most impossible

pixel perfect jumps, have to remember every single cm of the levels ahhhhhh but it was still rather a very quirky fun game

Comment

Originally posted by DaiSuki
              Heh heh, that's awesome... getting no sound, though
              i'm not getting any sfx and the music's terrible. better off without it.

Comment

I remember getting incredibly far in Rick Dangerous 2, to a weird radioactive mine level characterized by these rotting, green arms that kept shooting out of the ground to grab you. These were incredibly unsettling to an 8 or 9-year-old me.

So imagine how I felt when after beating a whole screen of these arms and being on the home stretch to the next screen, a giant rotting green HEAD shot out of the ground on the LAST SQUARE, and killed me on my last life.

That was some cold ****. I never played that game again as I recall

Comment

I got to that radioactive level, too. I got stuck on this bit with long drops and stuff coming out of the walls. That and barrels with legs.

This all provokes a potentially interesting discussion, though. Back then, we took the harsh punishments games like Rick dangerous on the chin, but now we wouldn't have it.

Were games like this genuinely unfair or have we really gone soft?

Comment

Hmm, i dont think theres a game out now where you could die the instant you take the first step, possibly some shmups.

I think for the time, Rick was the best arcade adventure around and maybe the fact it was so frickin hard and unfair at times made you want to carry on and defeat the bastard.

Dirty tricks wise, i guess Tomb Raider is quite similar; running round a corner only to be impaled instantly on hidden spikes with no warning, so next time you walk or take another route. Infuriating again, but we still play it to death.

Comment

Working...
                    X