Astro Boy [PS2]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astro Boy [PS2]

I received this in the mail yesterday, popped it in today to playand have come to the realization that I have no idea what to do.

There is more text in the game then I imagined there would be.

Early on controlling Astro Boy as he flys around the city is simple and fun. An early fight with some robots isn't very promising, but word of mouth says that as you complete certain goals new moves are added. Hopefully battles will become more intense.

Anyone get this yet? Hell, anyone even thinking about getting it?

Some of the people at Gamefaqs have a completion time of four hours (yikes). That's without completing all mission goals.

I got this the other day, although it doesn't sound like I'm in any further than you. Did the first few bits, and fought the tentacled robot. The graphics are okay. I really love the controls, the flying is superb - and if EA are smart they'll follow this model when making their new Superman game in order to get the switch from on foot to floating/hovering correct. I like the targeting elements, and the way Astro bounces in those lovely arcs.

I thought it was a bit of a shame that the graphics teeter a little to close to PS2 blandsville territory. I was hoping for something a lot more impactful - but from the screenshots it seems stuff like that turns up later on. So maybe it's a steady curve.

And there is a lot of text, yes. A lot of it seems very signposted, though, so I'll probably play through the main elements, sell my JAP copy and then get the NA or PAL one when it appears.

I'm not too keen on the invisible walls, either. It's the fact that they're there rather than the nice green swirly effect that represents them. The city doesn't feel anywhere near as freeform/GTAish as I was hoping - although the other non-crime games that have tackled this (stand up Jak 2) did it terrible, to me anyway, so maybe that's a good thing.

Comment

I finished a couple of levels finally. I'm starting to get the hang of what to do and where to go.

Sega was quoted as saying this game was for 'casual gamers', and I believe they hit their mark. The game controls well enough (not great, mind you) and flying is enjoyable but the fighting and interaction with scenery is shallow.

I am enjoying the graphics though. Astro Boy is a simple looking character, as are the charaters and world he interacts with and I believe Sega did a fine job.

Playing the game it's hard not to imagine what could have been.

Blessed Boy, do you really feel the game warrants a second purchase? I think I may just wait for a solid Faq to be posted and find out about all the nooks and crannies that way.

Box art is bitching.

Oh, and all hail the GBA version.

Comment

Working...
      X