Steel Battalion (Not LOC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel Battalion (Not LOC)

Thought I would start a thread for the original as there is a few who recently bought it with the controller.

I had a search and couldnt find anything so.......

First Impressions.

The controller is immense!!. The overall feel of the game is depth. The controller and the game is a marriage made in heaven.

You could say this is the Gran Tourismo of Mech games. It reminds me of Gran Tourismo because of the realism/simulation aspect.

Now down to playing it:

Ive played this for 3 hrs straight now and love it. Im finding it a bit hard but dont know if that is due to the controller or my lack of mech games experience. I keep getting stuck on the 2nd mission where the enemy is on the hill shooting down at you.

It does have that one more go feel about it.

Allnighter coming on I think.

What does everyone else think?????

I bought the game when it first came out on PAL and to my shame it has been sat on my shelf since. I always saw this as more of a novelty game. I don't know why, but it never grabbed me as a game (never got past level 2), but it grabbed me more because of the controller.

Now the second game released today...that is a different story.....

Online only - sheer balls of doing that....

A hardcore choice for the hardcore (or the very cash-richcore).

On the first play tonight of the new online SB I can attest that the controller is no longer the main pull of the game, now there is depth and a truly gigantic online experience (which is quite daunting when you compare this to my recent Live exploits on Links 2004 and NFL Fever 2004).

An aquired taste that is worth sticking with.

Comment

Level 2 isnt so bad if you go round the left of the cliff. Youl come up against two VT's but you can pop them off quickly. Then go up round the back of the cliff where nearly all of the enemy VT's are facing away to begin with.....if your lucky

Definately agree with the Online aspect, its huge. Especially campaign mode, i was bricking it last night since i joined a game knowing i only had one decent VT and that if i lost this one id have to start a new profile. Luckily my group worked as a team. Thing is since so many people have shelved out a heafty wad for the game that no one , so far, appears to be inclined to mess about. Working as a team is really excellent, sorting out whose going where and at what grid reference were going to meet at. Immense

Comment

I'm well impressed with the quality of the controller, well worth the money I paid and the led's add extra charactor to it. Only gripe I have with a joystick of this magnitude is the lack of force feedback (even a bit of rumble would be nice when you get hit etc)

Havent opened LOC yet, but so far I'm plugging away at the missions, keep losing VTs on the 2 stage of mission 2 (the bit where you have a choice to cross the bridge or shallow river)

A game well worth persevering with, I really should read the manual at some point just to see what the main panel buttons do

Comment

Im seriously ****e at SB The VT is really hard to controll IMO

Guess Im going to have to persevere big time with it

Comment

Well i finally got around to buying Tekki / Steel Battalion. One significant hurdle was not owning a Xbox, but i've borrowed a mates, and the second was availability, but since the LOC servers have been turned off they seem more available. Pity i missed out on the online bit, sounded good.

I have to say the production values are outstanding; the controller obviously, but it gets "gritty mech" down so well i fail to see how it could be improved, apart from obvious things like more bots/players online (re: Chromehounds) and more realistic trees etc.

It certainly is NOT arcadey mecha, like Armored Core say, but the pace is faster than i was led to believe, as you can use the Plasma Torch weapons to dash, much like using the Samurai Blades in AC, and lights going flat out with Override are very fast. Combat itself is more sedate, with turning speeds quite low, slow rate of weapon fire and no jumping/flying (well very limited). It does make for more tatical combat, as positioning can actually be important and luring with your wingmen and so on.

The death = delete-save-file isnt as annoying as people say, it gives you a fair amount of time to eject, which combined with supply-points to buy more VTs means it more a mechanism to give a limited number of lives, like an arcade game say. Ultimately i think its a bad idea as it cuts down your willingness to experiment with different tactics, or play it less safe. Yes you can do "Free Mission" games, but in the campaign proper it would be nice to try out weird ****. I suppose thats part of the grittiness, the fear of destruction is real, moreso than any game i've ever played i think, which adds a tension behind my left eyeball when the controls start lighting up!

Purely as a game it's good, but not outstanding, but as an experience it is amazing. just running thru the start sequence brings a smile to my face. I had to get a special cable to get DD5.1 and link it to my projector, but the surround sound and 100" screen are mindblowing (the size helps resolve that tiny view-field of 1st gen VTs). Given its uniquness i certainly recommend playing it at least once as it IS a slice of mecha history, which i doubt we will see repeated any time soon.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Comment

You lucly sod. I am reduced to playing Steel Battalion on my 21inch. If ever there was a game that deserves being played on a big screen this is it.

Hopefully Capcom will surprise us and bring out a 360 sequel and new controller. Its not as if the last ones didnt sell well.

Comment

Reading this, I might have to forget selling mine for the meantime and actually play it (hell nobody wants it anyway! lol).

Comment

Probably not a bad idea. I considered flogging mine a few months ago when I got my 360 but decided that it is really a unique gaming experience and not going to be replaced anytime soon.
                  Its debatable as to whether it was worth the ?129.99 price but thinking about it now it was quite a bold move of Capcoms to release this considering you could pick up an Xbox console instead of this.

Comment

i have this just most of the time i cannot be bothered to set the controller up

Wish they had made use of the controller with another mech game just one more time

Comment

Well, I did it, I got the thing set up and actually played it - totally worth it as well! It kind of throws you in at the deep end and I was panicking quite a bit (took me about 15 minutes to get the VT powered up!) - playing via projector and couldn't read the manual in the dark! Didn't take too long to get into the swing of things though. I've made it to the 3rd or 4th mission, it's one where you have to cross a bridge. First time I got across no problem only to be caught in crossfire on the other side and have to eject... second time the bridge collapsed while I was crossing it... next time I toppled over when I took a turn too fast trying to escape the bridge, next one was a repeat of the first. I'm not doing well!

I've managed to eject safely every time but I've had to buy so many new VTs that I'm wondering if it might make more sense to start over. Actually, I might be a bit too keen on the eject button. If you're in flames does the extinguisher button save you every time or do you have to bail out to be certain of surviving?

Comment

I know it's far fetched....but i hope they release it on the 360. It would kick some serious ass, and the online playability...well what can i say..

Comment

Well i have to say its easily one of the best mech games not just with the massive controller but the feeling of size and the grittiness look it has.

Also the dodging of enemy weapons seems far better then most mech games

Comment

If anybody who owns this knows how to disassemble the controller and get it back in the box can they PM me please. I havent played it for a bit and want to get it put it away as the controller takes up a tad too much room at the moment.

Comment

The death = delete-save-file isnt as annoying as people say, it gives you a fair amount of time to eject, which combined with supply-points to buy more VTs means it more a mechanism to give a limited number of lives, like an arcade game say. Ultimately i think its a bad idea as it cuts down your willingness to experiment with different tactics, or play it less safe. Yes you can do "Free Mission" games, but in the campaign proper it would be nice to try out weird ****. I suppose thats part of the grittiness, the fear of destruction is real, moreso than any game i've ever played i think, which adds a tension behind my left eyeball when the controls start lighting up!
                              You get used to it and will try new stuff as you play further through the game and unlock higher difficulty levels. It's almost forces you to try new tricks to get around the player-like levels of health and new speed. Folk say the AI is fairly bad and it is, kind of. Part of the reason is the lower difficulty levels are slow enough for you to take advantage of 'traditional' gaming exploits and you see the AI up to, well, AI tricks. Yet on the more difficult levels, by the time you see a shot it's mostly to late and the way the game plays changes ever so slightly and one must be aware of firing distance and timing even more so than being a rookie. The second campaign is pretty decent too.

i have this just most of the time i cannot be bothered to set the controller up
                              I realise there's a smiley there and this isn't a personal attack. It does kind of upset me somewhat to see someone say this as you have made the investment, you knew what you were buying so you must realise that you needed the space/time to play it properly. If there's even the slightest "I haven't got the space"-doubt, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it as it isn't the kind of game you can just setup once in a while. Dedication is lacking from many areas of modern gaming, Steel Battalion highlights this perfectly (also see: "I don't using a wheel as I haven't the time to set it up", etc...)

While the campaign in LoC is dead, it is still playable online in 'Free Mission' as far as I know. It was last time I played anyway, some five/six months ago. There's a patch to unlock all the VTs for free mission use.

Comment

Working...
                              X